Jon Snow and Theon Greyjoy

Wolf's Bane

On 2015-12-20 at 3:51 AM, Steelshanks Walton said:

I see a lot of similarities between Theon and Jon.  Theon committed his heinous acts against his adoptive family because he was empty inside.  Theon had a major character flaw, lacked true self-esteem, and all that was made worse when his father gave him up for hostage.  Theon felt discarded and unworthy, unloved by his family.  Yet, he hung on to his identity as Ironborn and wanted so much to belong to them after his meeting with dad and sis.  Because of his low esteem, his need to be accepted, he was prone to do something bad.  Jon Snow had a big chip on his shoulder, which caused him to be rather abrasive to people and have negative views.  If you read that chapter in aGoT, during the Robert's banquet, Jon was very judgmental and very harsh with people he barely knew.  He was a bitter young man.  Like Theon, he wanted acceptance.  Unlike Theon, he found acceptance from little Arya, who cared not whether he was bastard or not.  I think this made Jon vulnerable in the same way Theon was.  He had excessive affection for Arya, bordering on the unhealthy.  That led him to betray the men he was sworn to lead and to send a small attack force to the Boltons. 

What I am saying is, both men did not really act impetuously.  They were emotionally damaged goods, with chips on their shoulders.  They were on the edge and the wrong thing could make them do something terrible.  Which they both did.  Their actions were premeditated and calculated, but that's because their mental and emotional algorithms are flawed.  Jon and Theon are very much alike.  One could say, Jon's is the greater crime.  In many ways, they parallel one another.  Boys who never felt they belonged.  

Please, share your thoughts. 

WTF is murdering 2 children to look strong comparable to leaving the night's watch for a little while to save your child sister who is married to the worst human in westeros who rapes and beats his little sister? Are you crazy lol?

Sure Jon and Theon have in common that they both feel like outsiders.

On 10/4/2017 at 7:36 AM, Sourjapes said:

He would have to or lose the respect of his bannerman. Most if not all of them would be calling for Theon's head, and at least some would be doing so precisely because they'd know that Robb wouldn't want to do it. So either Robb would lose a close friend and confidant or their king would look weak and a weak king might mean gains for ambitious lords.

Oh yeah, I agree, they would have demanded it and Robb would have lost his reputation. I still don't think he'd have done it though, but it wouldn't surprise me if it'd cost him his kingship. and probably one of his men would have killed Theon eventually. I might hold Robb in too high regard though idk.

I think Jon and theon is a great duo to compare since they did grow up in such similar situation. They both had something that always made them feel inferior. I think Jon responded with humbleness whereas theon felt he needed to prove his worth.

13 hours ago, INCBlackbird said:

Oh yeah, I agree, they would have demanded it and Robb would have lost his reputation. I still don't think he'd have done it though, but it wouldn't surprise me if it'd cost him his kingship. and probably one of his men would have killed Theon eventually. I might hold Robb in too high regard though idk.

In an alternate timeline I can see Theon returning to Robb rather than attack the North, or just not going to Iron Isles, and then when the Ironborn attack Robb's lords call for Theon's head. Robb would probably refuse, but then I see a Mallister or Rickard Karstark or perhaps Roose Bolton having Theon murdered, and declaring it to all, whilst simultaneously calling on the Norther lords to unite against the Ironborn. It'd be a believable way for one of Robb's bannermen to usurp his throne, especially if he's angered the Freys by marrying Jeyne.

Robb definitely wouldn't have beheaded Theon for his father's rebellion, ever. And neither would have Jon and neiher would have Bran(if one of them were in power), even though neither were best friend's with Theon. Absolutely unthinkable. That could have led to interesting problems a la Karstark, possibly.

The whole arrangement was always only as good as Balon's word and fatherly love, so yeah.

Archived