Christopher Paolini is working on a sci fi novel

Stinkhole

I tell you, he'd better cool it with the Star Wars shit with this next one. George Lucas might not be a litigious guy, but Disney's legal department will come down on him like the Death Star.

The legal team for the Mouse is particularly vigilant and downright NASTY. If I were little Christopher I wouldn't sleep well at night. 

"One of the great pleasures of these novels has been watching Rowling's storytelling skills develop. And she certainly spreads her wings in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince."

It rather grates, because it indicates a severely overblown regard for his own writing.

Do you have to be a great writer to critique someone else's writing?  If so, then why isn't every user on this forum out publishing great books?

Do you have to be a great writer to critique someone else's writing?  If so, then why isn't every user on this forum out publishing great books?

I'm not even hyper critical of him, but that quote makes me cringe. It's very much the type of language a veteran uses to describe someone not yet up to his/her level.

So he's saying it took Rowling 6 books to equal his own prowess. The quote makes it sound like he's the old hand, when in fact Harry Potter predates his books by a number of years and he only had two books under his own belt by the time she completed her series.

1997: HP 1 

1998: HP 2 

1999: HP 3

2000: HP 4

2003: HP 5 / Eragon

2005: HP 6 / Eldest

2007: HP 7

2008: Brisingr

It makes me sick that he talks like he's hot shit after he released that cold, sloppy piece of shit that I wouldn't even grace with the bottom of David Cameron's shoe called everybooksinceEragon.

Eragon, I would grace with the bottom of David Cameron's shoe. Because I am merciful.

I've just read the Farseer Trilogy, on Helaena's recommendation. I loved it. But, I hate the fact that an author as good as Robin Hobb probably has less than a third of Paolini's sales.

That is really disappointing to learn.

I'm glad you enjoyed The Farseer Trilogy, and I will now be keeping an eye out for opportunities to buy this as a present, and to get people to recommend it.

You could point to any number of good authors, with very respectable sales, who are still far outsold by Paolini, and other hacks.

Of course not.

No-one would have an issue if Paolini (or any member of this forum) said "Rowling has definitely improved as a writer over the last few books. I look forward to seeing where she goes from here." It's that he portrays her as a fledgling writer who is literally starting to "spread her wings", when not only is she the (far) superior writer, she also has a good deal more experience than he does. 

Ha! Yeah the quote function has been weird on my pc so I just haven't bothered lately. But really, 50 Sahdes is by far the worst thing I;ve ever read, and I've read some Stanek and Twilight and Dan brown and fuck, some Ed Greenwood even.

Ever read The Eye of Argon?

(Actually, would the world end if someone wrote an Eye of Argon/Fifty Shades crossover fanfic?).

Ha! Yeah the quote function has been weird on my pc so I just haven't bothered lately. But really, 50 Sahdes is by far the worst thing I;ve ever read, and I've read some Stanek and Twilight and Dan brown and fuck, some Ed Greenwood even.

Try some Sidney Sheldon, if you want to discover truly atrocious writing.

Archived