Christopher Paolini is working on a sci fi novel

Stinkhole

I've never read Fifty Shades but I think people misunderstand it.

It's not supposed to be erotic. More of a romance novel based around the idea of a woman snagging the masculine ideal.

The erotica is supposed to add a bit of safe danger to the situation. 

The problem people have with Fifty Shades isn't it's failure at being erotic, but its failure at being an even halfway decent novel. 

I don't think its supposed to be good.

Its wish fulfillment for a lot of women

young rich guy falls in love with you. he is a hard worker and will give you strong children

I don't think its supposed to be good.

Its wish fulfillment for a lot of women

young rich guy falls in love with you. he is a hard worker and will give you strong children

Erm, all novels should at least try to be "good" (by which, if it wasn't clear, I meant well written and engaging). Ir doesn't matter what the plot is, it's horribly written and an absolutely abysmal book 

• 4 months later...
29 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Hahaha I hate to necro a spite thread, but I had to share this from the AMA on reddit.

http://imgur.com/OYVJLUo

He compared himself to fucking Shakespeare lol. This is too good.

He just said that not everybody has to hate his book and he gave an example. Give him a break.

• 2 weeks later...

He's right, to some extent. Tastes do differ, and I think that's all he can really say in the context (he's hardly going to say that his critics are right and that Eragon is shit). Problem is, while there are people out there who hate Shakespeare, Dickens, and Austin, few would question their literary merit - it's quite possible to find a classic work unreadable and dull. Even Paolini's most fervent supporters would struggle to point to Eragon as meriting classic status.

I see he's familiar with Gormenghast too. Cue Paolini self-comparisons to Peake... 

• 4 months later...

Had an "Oh My God" moment in visiting the library today. They've got a Spanish translation of Eragon... which means that the library stocks the book in the Spanish section... which means Christopher Paolini's work is sitting next to the likes of Isabel Allende and Gabriel Garcia Marquez. 

6 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Had an "Oh My God" moment in visiting the library today. They've got a Spanish translation of Eragon... which means that the library stocks the book in the Spanish section... which means Christopher Paolini's work is sitting next to the likes of Isabel Allende and Gabriel Garcia Marquez. 

Mere hacks, by comparison.

Archived