The most dangerous ideas in ASOIAF

GoT_Academy

ASOIAF is a political story, a kind of historical novel with some fantasy in it. GRRM goes into great effort to detail the political systems and to create ideas that threaten them.

The most dangerous idea in the story is probably the Free Folk's unwillingness to kneel, which basically mean they will not follow the rules of feudalism. They don't accept the fact that the land belongs to a lord and that they should pay for that. This concept undermines the political system in Westeros. They're also an egalitarian society with a kind of gender equality and they choose their own leaders and so-called kings. That's in direct contrast to the law of the land which says that blood determines who's the king.

The problem with a war of ideas, which is basically an ideological war, is that you cannot destroy an idea with weapons - you have to come up with a better one. What do you think?

For more dangerous ideas in ASOIAF and throughout history >>

ASOIAF is a political story, a kind of historical novel with some fantasy in it. GRRM goes into great effort to detail the political systems and to create ideas that threaten them.

The most dangerous idea in the story is probably the Free Folk's unwillingness to kneel, which basically mean they will not follow the rules of feudalism. They don't accept the fact that the land belongs to a lord and that they should pay for that. This concept undermines the political system in Westeros. They're also an egalitarian society with a kind of gender equality and they choose their own leaders and so-called kings. That's in direct contrast to the law of the land which says that blood determines who's the king.

The problem with a war of ideas, which is basically an ideological war, is that you cannot destroy an idea with weapons - you have to come up with a better one. What do you think?

For more dangerous ideas in ASOIAF and throughout history >>

I think that if the Wildlings are intergrated into Westerosi society and system, they will learn to kneel just as well as the Romans, Germans, Greeks and many, many more learned to kneel to kings and emperors and accept their previously unimaginable authority and hereditery power.

But, the wildlings did submit to Jon's order of letting them through the gate to their new home. I agree with LionoftheWest in that if they could learn to assimilate into Westorosi society they would bend the knee, after all, if they want to survive that is what must happen. That is not a very exciting story but all the events leading up to the "bending of the knee" could be very exciting :D 

IMO by the end there won't be an Iron Throne. There won't be anyone left to fight for it. The world seems to be moving towards something more democratic, with representation of the masses in something approaching a modern legislature. 

The Black Death marked the end of feudalism and the rise of capitalism, entrepreneurship and the middle classes. The underclass made up the bulk of society by far, and when they were killed off there simply weren't enough workers for the feudal system to continue. The aristocracy had no choice but to let the serfs work the land and pay them good wages. The entire political and economic structure of Europe was forever changed. 

Something similar is going to happen in Westeros. The threat of greyscale and the pale mare virtually guarantees that we'll be seeing a plague of some kind in Westeros--and that's on top of years of war and now winter and the threat of the War for the Dawn hanging over their heads. They already have food shortages--a long war right before winter isn't good. As Alys Karstark tells Jon, there was no one to bring in the harvest and it won't go well for Karhold. Repeat that in every castle in the realm. 

The monarchy, if it continues, will have severe limits placed on it and the people will have representation. 

The Black Death marked the end of feudalism and the rise of capitalism, entrepreneurship and the middle classes. The underclass made up the bulk of society by far, and when they were killed off there simply weren't enough workers for the feudal system to continue. The aristocracy had no choice but to let the serfs work the land and pay them good wages. The entire political and economic structure of Europe was forever changed. 

I 100% agree with this part, but The Black Death only slowly led in the direction of democracy. Egg from the Dunk and Egg stories tried and failed to centralize Westeros. It would be a fitting ending if Dany finally accomplished the goal of a strong centralized state that can protect the smallfolk.

I also think Westeros is likely to adopt Dornish laws that allow women to inherit. Although if Preston Jacobs theory about Targaryen women being dragon hatchers is correct than a purely matrilineal Monarchy would be a brilliant solution.

I wholeheartedly agree with all the ideas posted here. Moreso, I believe Daenerys will be responsible to change demographics and political structure of Westeros as well.

Thousands and thousands of Dothraki warriors and Essosi Red God followers and former slaves will follow Dany into Westeros, which will be known as the third huge human migration in Westerosi history (after First Men and Andal migrations).

This migration of thousands of people into a war-torn, cold, starving and diseased (greyscale, pale mare, bloody flux, etc.) realm will have some resistance from local population of the South united under fAegon's banners.

It will bring more catastrophe and devastation to Westeros, but Dany will prevail, which in result will allow Essosi immigrants to assimilate and incorporate some of their own culture and maybe even accept some aspects of local Westerosi customs.

Especially I expect the spread of Red God religion. Since Faith of the Seven did not help or gave strength to majority of people in the time of need, small folk might convert to R'hillor, especially witnessing Dany and her dragons and how devoted thousands of Essosi immigrants follow her around faithfully. With oncoming White Walker and undead army invasion people will believe in Lord of Light more and more. You can see the microcosm of it in the Brotherhood without Banners and its small folk.

The same will happen in the North, I believe, but in smaller scales, as I believe wildlings will be the backbone of resurrected Jon STARK's forces. Due to extremely cold winter, starvation, civil war between Boltons and Stanis, there will be lots of dead northmen. More people of the North will die once the Wall falls and White Walkers invade the region. I expect Jon to stop this invasion with Bran's help and make some kind of pact wth White Walkers and becoming King of Winter, but there will be lots of casualties in the process. 

Jon already acted like a northern king giving Karhold and Alys Karstark to Sigorn of Thenns, which started the process of wildling integration in the North. I believe more is to come.

I think more northern houses are destined to die out against White Walker invasion, and Jon might give their lands and castles to Free Folk. Even though northmen and wildlings share lots of similarities, especially in keeping Old Gods sacred, there are still differences in their lifestyle. I think the North will choose Jon as its leader not because of his legitimized Stark name, but because of his strength, leadership and harshness in the winter. He will be chosen to lead the wildling way, just like Mance Rayder was.

So there are two parallels I see happening in the North and the South before the Battle of the Dawn where centuries long traditions will be broken due to extreme conditions in both areas, and more developed society and culture will evolve from these conditions.

That is why I believe majority of great houses (with the exception of Jon, Bran, Sansa, Arya from Starks, Theon from Greyjoys, Tyrion from Lannisters and Gendry from Baratheons) and all great seats will be destroyed as they are symbols of Westeros' disunity, feudalism and old age. 

There will be a new royal castle and capital built on Harrenhal grounds ("seat of kings") after Cersei burns down King's Landing. And I believe Jon, as song of ice and fire, will start a new dynasty and new age in a new capital and new royal castle after terrible winter is gone and spring comes, blessed by Old Gods and Children of the Forest and greenseers (particularly by Bran who will live nearby and tended by greenmen on Isle of Faces).

Maybe a little fanficish, but this is just general outline on how I see events unfolding based on what I have read. I am probably wrong on majority of this.

• 1 month later...

Archived