Why do you like this character: Jaime

shizett

Jaime chapters are arguably my favourite POV chapters and I agree with many of the previous posts about reasons for liking Jaime and only want to add that I find the Jaime-Ned encounters and their reflections of each other incredibly fascinating because they have different ideas about Honour and what constitutes honour and there's this odd animosity between them because they think of each other as 'not honourable contrary to popular belief' by bringing up specific incidents. For Ned it is fathering a bastard and for Jaime it is killing the Mad King. But we as readers know that there are different and arguably justifiable motives behind both their decisions and it's interesting to see them form opinions about each other based on these and misinterpret each other's actions. 

But I kind of also understand that this all comes from my interest in those two characters and nothing else.

Also, Jamie has a great sense of humour. 

On 31-12-2015 at 5:43 PM, Winter's Cold said:

I view him the same way I do Theon. A bad person who has done some good things and a very interesting character.

I view both of them in exactly the oppesite way actually. a good person who has done some bad things. in fact.... it might sound weird but I actually think that Jaime is one of the best people in those books, despite what he's done.

4 hours ago, INCBlackbird said:

I view both of them in exactly the oppesite way actually. a good person who has done some bad things. in fact.... it might sound weird but I actually think that Jaime is one of the best people in those books, despite what he's done.

This is a really weird statement. And I think we've read totally different books. 

33 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

This is a really weird statement. And I think we've read totally different books. 

Just because you don't agree doesn't mean we have "read different books" the reason I consider Jaime one of the best people is because the entire reason he became so bitter is because he had quite high expectations about the world and how good knights were and how they protected the innocent, he had a terrible reality shock when he became a kingsguard for Aerys and had to be told that he shouldn't prevent the king from raping his wife. then when he eventually decided to do that right thing and say "fuck the fact that he is the king and a swore an oath," and killed the king, saving thousends of lives, then people hate on him for it. You'd get bitter for less. Jaime was very pure in his goodness, quite like Sansa, but it was corrupted by this bitterness. That goodness is still there though, he just buried it because he figured it had no place in the world, he goes from seeing the world in one extreme (everything is good) to seeing it in a completely other extreme (everything is bad). Another reason I really like him is that he's honest with himself. He doesn't go "killing bothers me" while it clearly only bothers him when he has to see it like Ned does. Jaime doesn't lie to himself like that, or others for that matter, he's not a hypocrite (which can't be said about a lot of characters in these books)

1 hour ago, INCBlackbird said:

Just because you don't agree doesn't mean we have "read different books" the reason I consider Jaime one of the best people is because the entire reason he became so bitter is because he had quite high expectations about the world and how good knights were and how they protected the innocent, he had a terrible reality shock when he became a kingsguard for Aerys and had to be told that he shouldn't prevent the king from raping his wife. then when he eventually decided to do that right thing and say "fuck the fact that he is the king and a swore an oath," and killed the king, saving thousends of lives, then people hate on him for it. You'd get bitter for less. Jaime was very pure in his goodness, quite like Sansa, but it was corrupted by this bitterness. That goodness is still there though, he just buried it because he figured it had no place in the world, he goes from seeing the world in one extreme (everything is good) to seeing it in a completely other extreme (everything is bad). Another reason I really like him is that he's honest with himself. He doesn't go "killing bothers me" while it clearly only bothers him when he has to see it like Ned does. Jaime doesn't lie to himself like that, or others for that matter, he's not a hypocrite (which can't be said about a lot of characters in these books)

Yeah Jaime who joined the Kingsguard to fuck his sister and betray the king was so very pure in his goodness before the big bad world and Knighhood fucked him up, yeah right. 

And Jaime is bitter because no one got down on their knees and worshipped him for murdering the man he swore to protect. And excuse me for not giving a fuck about Jaimes bitterness when people who have lost more than their reputation are not bitter. 

Yes Jaime is a hypocrite he had the audacity to reprimend Trent in ASOS for harming a child even going as far to bring up those vows he has a hard time keeping when two books before he was trying to kill Bran and than tried to kill/maim Arya all in the same book. Hypocrite thy name is Jaime.

3 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

Yeah Jaime who joined the Kingsguard to fuck his sister and betray the king was so very pure in his goodness before the big bad world and Knighhood fucked him up, yeah right. 

And Jaime is bitter because no one got down on their knees and worshipped him for murdering the man he swore to protect. And excuse me for not giving a fuck about Jaimes bitterness when people who have lost more than their reputation are not bitter. 

Yes Jaime is a hypocrite he had the audacity to reprimend Trent in ASOS for harming a child even going as far to bring up those vows he has a hard time keeping when two books before he was trying to kill Bran and than tried to kill/maim Arya all in the same book. Hypocrite thy name is Jaime.

You might not like it but Jaime actually did love Cersei... and the reason he joined the kingsguard was to please her, it was part of his whole romantic view of knighthood. Also I don't think you can claime that Jaime joined the kingsguard in order to betray the king.... wth? His extremely positive (and unrealistic) worldview was destroyed when he saw what Aerys was capable off, I don't think you can deny that? And that's when he "betrayed" the king.

They should have gotten down on their knees tbh. Jaime saved them all, did them a favor by killing a psychopath with way too much power. But no, this is not why Jaime was bitter, he was bitter because people actually despised him for saving them because he swore some vows that apparently according to everyone trump doing the right thing. I don't care whether or not you give a fuck about Jaime's bitterness or not, that is not the point, the point is viewing the character accurately, whether you like him or not. So I'm assuming that we agree he got bitter.... that's all that matters...

This was AFTER Jaime regained his positve view of the world because Brienne showed him that there are actual true knights in the world and not everything is as black as he thought it was. So I don't see any hypocricy here, just character development....

Archived