Star Wars Episode 7 How do you rate it? (NO SPOILERS)

Howdyphillip

I always really enjoyed the Hoth scenes in ESB. Its fairly consistent quality-wise throughout, but those scenes were always my favourite. Something about the AT-AT attack I think.

eta: Hoth was also really fun on SW Battlefront. And in Battlefront II you got to kill wampas :P 

I miss when Star Wars battlefront was good...

My complete ranking : 

Phantom Menace : 13/20.

Attack of the Clones : 11/20.

Revenge of the Sith : 15/20.

A New Hope : 15/20.

Empire Strikes-Back : 18/20.

Return of the Jedi : 11/20.

Force Awakens : 15/20.

I'm glad I'm not the only person to put RotJ behind RotS, though I can't condone putting III on the same level as IV or VII.

Phantom Menace at its core isn't a bad story, it's just a bad Star Wars story.

Of course there are major problems with dialogue and the delivery thereof, and bloody Jar-Jar, and emotional sincerity at crucial moments, but in terms of narrative coherence and flow and all that nonsense, it's the best of the prequels, of which Revenge is a string of reasonably cool or important moments held together by utter shite, and Clones is... well, Clones.

I still like Yoda going batshit with his lightsaber though. Shhh.

The worst thing about Phantom Menace was how easy it would be to fix, remove mediclorians, age everyone up 6 years, remove Jar-Jar and you're basically done.

I don't like Yoda now, but I'm not critical of it because it was fun to watch as a kid.

I think The Force Awakens was definitely a better made movie than Return of the Jedi and they're both similar in that they have high points and then cringefest. ROTJ had cheesiness galore with Jabba's barge and the battle of Endor but then it had some really great stuff too with the Emperor, those speed bikes, Luke on Dagobah and the climax between Vader, Luke and Sidious. In TFA I thought the first 30 minutes were brilliant, the effects overall were phenomenal and it had a weighty feel to it, but it also has several things holding it back from being a really good movie. I put ROTD a shade ahead of simply because it has more of the Star Wars "magic" feel to it. As for the worst, they are undoubtedly TPM and AOTC. Both dreadful but TPM has one redeeming feature in Neeson & Maul. The shitty parts of TPM such as Jar Jar, Jake Lloyd etc were worse than the shitty parts of AOTC but AOTC had nothing good. TPM also had to setup the new trilogy universe so it may have been bogged down in parts whereas AOTC has no excuse for its pedestrian dreadfulness.

Anyway i'd rate them as

1. Empire Strikes Back 9.2/10

2. Star Wars 8.9/10

3. Return of the Jedi 7.9/10

4. The Force Awakens 7.8/10

5. Revenge of the Sith 5.5/10

6. The Phantom Menace 3/10

7. Attack of the Clones 2.5/10

Well, well, well, AotC level with RotJ and Phamtom Menace ahead of Jedi. That's certainly throwing a grenade into the mess. :lol:

Well, I just despise the first two acts of Return.

The first two acts are insanely bad imo... the whole stuff on Tatouine with Jabba is boring as hell, and the second act with the Ewoks is just laughable and totally incoherent... thankfully, the last act of the movie redeems it ! 

Well, I just despise the first two acts of Return.

The first two acts are insanely bad imo... the whole stuff on Tatouine with Jabba is boring as hell, and the second act with the Ewoks is just laughable and totally incoherent... thankfully, the last act of the movie redeems it ! 

I rewatched Jedi the other day before seeing TFA, it really bugged me how weak the plot to rescue Han was. Luke seems so confident that he's got something up his sleeve, and then it turns out the plan is ..... R2 shoots a lightsabre and I'll kill everyone. He had no clue that R2 would be anywhere near him, and pretty much every other protagonist there is in mortal danger and is lucky to escape, through no help of Luke's.

And I've always hated the Emperor's plan: let's bring him here, I'll list negative emotions and we'll see if he turns to the dark side. Nope? Alright, I'll kill him. And the shields, oh, I've increased the defences by a margin smaller than an unprepared Ewok army, so I'm afraid the shields will be quite operat.......oh.

The movie has some iconic moments but really, it only just squeaks by as an acceptable way to end the trilogy.

I rewatched Jedi the other day before seeing TFA, it really bugged me how weak the plot to rescue Han was. Luke seems so confident that he's got something up his sleeve, and then it turns out the plan is ..... R2 shoots a lightsabre and I'll kill everyone. He had no clue that R2 would be anywhere near him, and pretty much every other protagonist there is in mortal danger and is lucky to escape, through no help of Luke's.

And I've always hated the Emperor's plan: let's bring him here, I'll list negative emotions and we'll see if he turns to the dark side. Nope? Alright, I'll kill him. And the shields, oh, I've increased the defences by a margin smaller than an unprepared Ewok army, so I'm afraid the shields will be quite operat.......oh.

The movie has some iconic moments but really, it only just squeaks by as an acceptable way to end the trilogy.

I think that if you wanted to you could deconstruct any of the movies this cynically to be honest.

There's a cool deleted scene from RotJ though where the Emperor orders Jerjerrod to destroy Endor if the Rebels destroy the shield generator.

I think that if you wanted to you could deconstruct any of the movies this cynically to be honest.

There's a cool deleted scene from RotJ though where the Emperor orders Jerjerrod to destroy Endor if the Rebels destroy the shield generator.

I watched that scene for the first time last week, I really wish it had been in the film

I watched that scene for the first time last week, I really wish it had been in the film

I think it would have added something cool to the story regarding the Emperor, Vader and the Moffs, but it would probably have interrupted the flow of the scene, sadly.

I think it would have added something cool to the story regarding the Emperor, Vader and the Moffs, but it would probably have interrupted the flow of the scene, sadly.

Plus it is really fucking stupid and so fits right in with Return of the Jedi.  Destroying the planet you are orbiting is smart nothing bad would come of it!

Plus it is really fucking stupid and so fits right in with Return of the Jedi.  Destroying the planet you are orbiting is smart nothing bad would come of it!

It's not orbiting Endor because it's a satellite, it's orbiting Endor so that it has a shield while it's under construction. Presumably the Death Star is debris proof.

Why isn't anyone including the Christmas special? At least I have the excuse that I've never seen it, but I watched Stuckmann's hilariocity review on it just now. It looks like it could be the worst movie ever made, even worse than The Room.

Archived