Elizabeth Bear

jurble

Tried to use search to find an old thread, but I can't figure out how to search just thread titles as opposed to posts, so there was way too much stuff to wade through.

Anyway, has anyone ever finished her Eternal Sky books? I read Range of Ghosts years ago and want to know if the rest are worth reading.

I've finished the series and I think they're very worth reading, yes. Though note that I was on board based on Range of Ghosts and there was never any question in my mind as to whether or not I'd continue reading them, so they may be more to my taste than yours. The second one gives us some more time digging into the characters and their dynamics in a single location before the quest picks up again. The series plays with some of the structural tropes of high fantasy in very interesting ways and I got very attached to the cast. I had niggling problems as is always the case of course -- I'd generally categorize the series as lean and economically paced, but occasionally I'd find the balance here slipping too far the other way such that some things go by awfully quickly. Over all, however, this is one of my very favourite recent epic fantasies: wonderful characters, likeable but complex; a strong plot that plays interesting riffs on fantasy classics; great world-building and cosmology. Excellent series. The ending is very very complete and definitive, but there will be a second series in the world.

The Eternal Sky is probably my favourite work of Bear's that I've read. Her steampunk adventure Karen Memory comes close, and I've got a lot of personal fondness for the rough-around-the-edges but strikingly inventive and fascinating Norse-inflected Edda of Burdens series, but Eternal Sky is out in front I think.

I've not read the second two Eternal Sky books, but in waiting for them to come down to a reasonable ebook price I've read a fair bit of her back catalogue.

Love it. The Edda of Burdens in particular is amazing (with one of my favourite baddies ever). The Jacob's Ladder trilogy might have equalled it, but she slightly fudged the ending imo.

Archived