Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Muggle

7 minutes ago, Commodore said:

nah, the trailer makes her out to be the standard flawless young badass we've seen many times before

gender is irrelevant

Replace her by a guy, and you wouldn't have made that comment. I only see this comment when it's a female lead. Never, ever hear "gary sue" when it comes to movies. Only female leads.

And everything Leap just said below. Great post.

I love the idea of telling other stories in this --or any-- movie franchise universe.... instead of waiting two years to get our SW fix, while we wait for their main arc to continue, we have these interim, stand alone flicks to hold us over.

The trailer was terrific, and did just what it was supposed to do .... get us interested (we're all here posting about it) without giving away too much.... I like Felicity Jones, too. Glad she got this after becoming the Black Cat fell through...

9 minutes ago, Leap said:

In the same manner, Jyn looks like someone who thus far has been happy to fight the Empire by herself as best she can - and keeps getting in trouble for it. The rebels have recruited her, and you can already tell by her interactions with the Rebel Commanders that she doesn't do well with authority. She's irresponsible and reckless.

The Mary Sue trope is not about personality, it's about skill/abillities. 

If she's like Rey, she'll be a 20 year old expert in hand to hand combat, expert marksmen, gymnast, ace mechanic and pilot. All without explanation. 

I'd say fighting an empire, you learn to do most of those things to survive. 

And of course, you didn't see her do half the things you just mentioned, you're just going off the fact she's a female lead. All you see her do is fight and shoot, and if you're going against an empire, i'm pretty sure you learn to do those things one way or another.

The Mary Sue trope is not about personality, it's about skill/abillities. 

If she's like Rey, she'll be a 20 year old expert in hand to hand combat, expert marksmen, gymnast, ace mechanic and pilot. All without explanation. 

What of the 30 seconds of screentime that you've seen implies that she's a gymnast, an expert in hand to hand combat (that she doesn't demonstrate), a good pilot, or a good mechanic? 

Really, the only thing we see her do is be sassy and shoot a couple stormtroopers. That's literally it. 

The only reason to compare her to Rey is that she's a woman. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

What of the 30 seconds of screentime that you've seen implies that she's a gymnast, an expert in hand to hand combat (that she doesn't demonstrate), a good pilot, or a good mechanic? 

Really, the only thing we see her do is be sassy and shoot a couple stormtroopers. That's literally it. 

The only reason to compare her to Rey is that she's a woman. 

Not only that, she wears the shit out of that Imperial uniform. They may be the bad guys,but they know how to dress.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

SHE CAN RUN IN A SUBWAY CLEARLY THIS MEANS SHE IS INCREDIBLE AT EVERYTHING

BECAUSE WOMEN CANNOT RUN

Tbf, running in Canary Wharf tube station is often a feat that even the most powerful Jedi couldn't manage. :lol:

LOOK AT HER STARE OUT THE WINDOW WISTFULLY WHILE THINKING

HOW CAN SHE STARE AND THINK AT THE SAME TIME

I BET SHE'S NOT EVEN STARING AT A MAN THAT SHE HOPES SHE WILL MARRY

1 hour ago, ab aeterno said:

It would seem odd to have Imperial Guards there for a nobody though. Maybe it's Garindan in the cloak. :lol:

I was initially assuming Whitaker was an Imperial. I'm not so sure anymore.

Donnie Yen looks a bit like Zatoichi in that short scene.

It's so incredibly sad that people are using the Mary Sue argument with this movie, as well as with TFA. This is Star Wars! Have you never heard of Luke Skywalker? You could make the same argument about him that you're making for these female characters, but for some reason, no one ever seems to. Strange. What could be the difference between them?Hmmmmm 

30 minutes ago, Leap said:

I'd say the trailer sets her up to be the opposite of flawless. Everyone likes Han Solo because he's not flawless - he struggles to be part of the rebellion, and the only reason he doesn't 'Lone Wolf' it is because of the bond between him and Luke. 

In the same manner, Jyn looks like someone who thus far has been happy to fight the Empire by herself as best she can - and keeps getting in trouble for it. The rebels have recruited her, and you can already tell by her interactions with the Rebel Commanders that she doesn't do well with authority. She's irresponsible and reckless.

To be fair, it's a fairly common symptom of a Mary-Sue (and Gary-Stu if you insist on using that term although I'm a traditionalist who insist on Mary-Sue for guys and gals alike) that they seem to be reckless and clash with authority but that they turn out to have been right all along and/or their recklesness has no bad consequences. It's one of the reasons I liked how The Hunger Games did it with Katniss- because, as the story went along, a lot of the typical Mary-Sue tropes were subverted or shown to be negative and that was one of them.

That's not to say I think the character here will be Mary Sue.

3 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

Tbf, running in Canary Wharf tube station is often a feat that even the most powerful Jedi couldn't manage. :lol:

Hey, remember when James Bond was chasing Javier Bardem through the tube at rush hour and they got on a train and they could comfortably see each other and move about on the train?

Agreed Leap +++ Well said on all counts.

What a fantastic trailer.  I also agree that the final scene in the Tie Fighter uniform - wow, great work by the director of photography there - and in the entire trailer in general. I'm more exited about this than TFA I think.  So many potential story opportunities now, it seems they are really going to make it worth the 4 billion they paid for the franchise.  I hope we get a Knights of the old Republic trilogy, going "back" in the timeline might pay big dividends, as I bet this one (Rogue One) blows away some records too.  My expectations have been not only met, but greatly exceeded thus far .

it seems they are really going to make it worth the 4 billion they paid for the franchise.  

I believe (I could be wrong) that they've already made that money back with TFA + Rebels + merchandising. 

3 minutes ago, Leap said:

That's fair enough I suppose, although (as you indicated) it does kind of depend on how you portray that rebelliousness. There's not a lot of point going into it too much though, it's just way too early to tell. 

As for Luke being a Mary Sue, I don't think so. Rey was much more of a Mary Sue than Luke, certainly.

Rey was a bit, whereas Luke was just irredeemably annoying.

Just now, RumHam said:

Bitter much?

Oh come on, him getting almost fried to death was the only bit of whining he did which was actually enjoyable, search your feelings, you know it to be true :P.

Archived