Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Muggle

Im looking forward to this. While Vader might make an appearance its going to be nice to have a Star Wars film not focused around space wizards.

Its just going to be nice to get a point of view of the "normal folk" and there struggles.

Whats your initial reaction?  Is it...

1. Going to see it CAUSE STARWARS

2. Enjoy a plot with out space wizards like my self.

3. Hate it because no wizards.

My reaction is 4. going to see it because it's got a better director than Episode VII and an unbelievably good cast.

Can you clarify that statement with more info? My friends and I are all lukewarm about the spin-offs (seems like SW overkill to me), but if there is actual talent involved I might be persuaded to give a damn ;) 

Can you clarify that statement with more info? My friends and I are all lukewarm about the spin-offs (seems like SW overkill to me), but if there is actual talent involved I might be persuaded to give a damn ;) 

It's directed by Gareth Edwards (who missed a bit with Godzilla but Monsters was fantastic) and has Mads Mikkelsen, Donnie Yen, Forest Whitaker, Ben Mendelsohn and Alan Tudyk as well as Felicity Jones and Diego Luna.

Plus the premise is pretty interesting- heist film/spy thriller about stealing the plans for the Death Star? Yes please.

Eta: because I keep confusing Gareth Edwards with Zowie Bowie for some reason.

I'm definitly interested in that one  !

The aspect I'm really engaged with here is the "war movie" vibe I get from it ! It can be one hell of a tense movie ! I expect to feel the same tension as in some scenes of Black Hawk Down, Full Metal Jacket, Jarhead or Apocalypse Now.

I would definitely see it just because it's a  new Star Wars film, it's not like we're flooded with those after all.

Plus, the chance that Vader is involved here, which I hope they do, makes it even more of a must see.

It's directed by Gareth Edwards (who missed a bit with Godzilla but Monsters was fantastic) and has Mads Mikkelsen, Donnie Yen, Forest Whitaker, Ben Mendelsohn and Alan Tudyk as well as Felicity Jones and Diego Luna.

Plus the premise is pretty interesting- heist film/spy thriller about stealing the plans for the Death Star? Yes please.

Eta: because I keep confusing Gareth Edwards with Zowie Bowie for some reason.

Well I knew next to nothing about this film this morning and this post now has me excited for it :) 

Yeah, I'm down for No. 1. I'll watch just about anything Star Wars. Of course, it helps that the trailer was FREAKING AMAZING. 

Not having force users isn't particularly an attraction for me, but it's also not necessarily a detriment. It will be cool to see how they handle a new approach to Star Wars. Just kinda sad that we'll probably lose Kyle Katarn (who was one of those responsible for stealing the Death Star plans in the EU.)

Hoping we might get some nice EU shoutouts, too though.

I'm in the first category. When is it coming out?

I believe it's currently slotted in for the same time next year - 15th-18th December based on location. Episode VIII is then currently due May 2017, IIRC.

There's a trailer for Star Wars Rogue one? Surely not?

Yeah not yet. All we have officially is this picture:

http://media3.popsugar-assets.com/files/2015/08/16/087/n/1922398/09314c31_Master_Cast_Photo_1of2_2.xxxlarge_2x.jpg

There was a teaser trailer they showed at some convention, you can find cell-phone video of it. It's not really worth it as it shows nothing but an x-wing flying over a planet with the Death Star on the horizon.

Edit: Is it just me or does the guy on the right in that picture with the staff look blind? He may not be a Jedi but if they have a blind guy fighting with a staff I'm sure the force will be involved.

There's a trailer for Star Wars Rogue one? Surely not?

Yeah not yet. All we have officially is this picture:

http://media3.popsugar-assets.com/files/2015/08/16/087/n/1922398/09314c31_Master_Cast_Photo_1of2_2.xxxlarge_2x.jpg

There was a teaser trailer they showed at some convention, you can find cell-phone video of it. It's not really worth it as it shows nothing but an x-wing flying over a planet with the Death Star on the horizon.

Yeah, I was referring to the teaser trailer. There were some pretty good quality videos at first, but all the decent ones were obliterated within minutes.

Yeah, I was referring to the teaser trailer. There were some pretty good quality videos at first, but all the decent ones were obliterated within minutes.

And it caused a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of nerds suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

One thing about that new film though, it's one thing to not have any Jedi in it, but let's please have it be a Star Wars film.

I would like to see the Force made use of, and in any case it does have to feel like a SW film, even it is grittier.

All this talk of them having casted 40 real world soldiers to play in the film for authenticity's sake, I am not particularly excited about that. I get this vibe from them so far that they are setting out to create something that looks and feels decidedly different. It's supposed to be about real world people who are not Jedi etc, but don't go overboard with the realism please.

All this talk of them having casted 40 real world soldiers to play in the film for authenticity's sake, I am not particularly excited about that. I get this vibe from them so far that they are setting out to create something that looks and feels decidedly different.

Why not? Being able to explore various avenues of story without interfering with the main films is exactly the sort of thing an expanded universe should be for. Anyway, at the heart of things Star Wars movies are war films, it's right there in the title, so why not see some of that war?

And yeah, RumHam's right, Donnie Yen's character looks blind, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a Force user.

1. Going to see it CAUSE STARWARS

This. Rogue Squadron was never among my favorite aspects of the Star Wars universe. Never really got into those novels. That being said, I do love a good heist flick. Not sure that it fits well within the Star Wars universe, but with that cast I will give it a shot. 

Why not? Being able to explore various avenues of story without interfering with the main films is exactly the sort of thing an expanded universe should be for. Anyway, at the heart of things Star Wars movies are war films, it's right there in the title, so why not see some of that war?

Why not? Because of my personal preference for what the films should be.

It depends on how much of a different avenue they take. I want it to still feel exotic and connected to Star Wars, not just a gritty, grey war movie with everyone in black and muted colours.

Archived