Renly usurping the throne

dRagonese

So in the book Renly seems to be super content in his role on the high council and in my opinion he is the last person i would think would want to go to battle just to sit the throne. I think he was just a way to split Stannis power and get high garden on the side of the Lannisters. i just find it a little disappointing that Renly is written to be someone and then he does something the character would never do in my opinion .

Thread # 50,000 on this topic lol.

But yea Renly was a moron and a prick, he had no right at all. He just had other idiots advising him that doing that was even a good idea at all. Deserved what he got for sure. Also was bad because Stannis had never wronged Renly at all, ever.

Thread # 50,000 on this topic lol.

But yea Renly was a moron and a prick, he had no right at all. He just had other idiots advising him that doing that was even a good idea at all. Deserved what he got for sure. Also was bad because Stannis had never wronged Renly at all, ever.

lol i should have looked. im on a GoT reread and it just really pissed me off so i had to say something

IIRC Renly had originally hoped to persuade Robert to set Cersei aside in order to form a marriage-alliance with the Tyrells. After Robert’s death, Renly advised Ned to take forcible custody of all the Lannister children and rule through them. Only after Ned declined did Renly pursue the crown for himself. It seems that from the start Renly’s concern was to keep the Lannisters off the throne. He had selfish reasons for this of course, but still keeping those lions off the throne is ultimately good for everyone.

He was also following in his brothers footsteps in a sense. Robert had usurped the iron throne from the Mad King and Renly was intent on taking the throne from Mad Joffrey and Mad Cersei. Many readers seem to forget that Renly declared himself king before he ever heard the rumors about Joffrey’s true parentage and that Renly never actually believed those rumors.

Also, Renly wasn’t stupid. The way he was able to form such powerful alliances, amass such large forces, and obtain such great popular support reveals considerable political savvy. In all likelihood, Renly would have taken the throne had Stannis not resorted to blood magic. 

If any one thing is responsible for the Lannisters winning the war of the 5 kings it would be Renly's attempt to claim the Iron Throne.

Renly could have easily taken the throne. Cersei even thanks the Seven for taking Renly and leaving Stannis.

Are we forgetting Renly had an older brother? If Renly joined Stannis, he would be a stronger contender for the throne. 

Disagree. I don't believe as many people would have gathered around Stannis. I don't believe that Tyrells would have ever supported him.

Disagree. I don't believe as many people would have gathered around Stannis. I don't believe that Tyrells would have ever supported him.

Not as many, but a lot more. If Renly didn't want Lannisters on IT, he could stay loyal to his brother, legit heir.

Renly Myth: Because Renly was personally liked by people he enjoyed wide spread support. Renly fact: Renly was supported by two regions, the Stormlands and the Reach. This was exactly as many regions as supported Robb (North and Riverlands) and Joffrey (Crownlands and Westerlands). Had the Vale not been being artificially held back by Littlefinger's control over Lysa, the Vale would have declared for Robb. The Iron Islands did their own thing and Dorne was sitting it out. So Renly enjoyed no more support than anyone else in the Wot5K.

Stannis Myth: No one supported Stannis. Stannis fact: Eddard supported Stannis' claim. He had written a letter to Stannis telling him this, but when Sansa went to Cersei, the letter was intercepted and never reached Stannis. Had this letter made it through, Stannis would have had the support of the North and most probably the Riverlands. So Stannis would have likely had as much support as Renly.

If any one thing is responsible for the Lannisters winning the war of the 5 kings it would be Renly's attempt to claim the Iron Throne.

I actually hing think that it is Littlefinger not letting Lysa to support Robb. He could crush Jaime while knights of the Vale defeat Tywin. They would have at least 70k men and if they play smart they maybe even defeat Renly.

Renly Myth: Because Renly was personally liked by people he enjoyed wide spread support. Renly fact: Renly was supported by two regions, the Stormlands and the Reach. This was exactly as many regions as supported Robb (North and Riverlands) and Joffrey (Crownlands and Westerlands). Had the Vale not been being artificially held back by Littlefinger's control over Lysa, the Vale would have declared for Robb. The Iron Islands did their own thing and Dorne was sitting it out. So Renly enjoyed no more support than anyone else in the Wot5K.

Renly was working the support he had very effectively. He made that marriage-allaince that allowed him to control a major part of Westeros' food supply. He gathered the largest army by far. He was working on an alliances with the Martells. He made a good offer for peace to the Starks. He was popular even in the Crownlands.  

Stannis Myth: No one supported Stannis. Stannis fact: Eddard supported Stannis' claim. He had written a letter to Stannis telling him this, but when Sansa went to Cersei, the letter was intercepted and never reached Stannis. Had this letter made it through, Stannis would have had the support of the North and most probably the Riverlands. So Stannis would have likely had as much support as Renly.

This isn't a myth. This is what would have happened if Ned's letter had made it out. The fact remains that given what actually happened in the series, Stannis had meager support. 

Not as many, but a lot more. If Renly didn't want Lannisters on IT, he could stay loyal to his brother, legit heir.

Why?  He has no reason to believe Stannis will rebel nor that he was the legit heir.  Furthermore, supporting Stannis just makes every thing even more difficult than if he just crowns himself.

Why is Renly a moron?  Neither did Robert yet he still sat on the throne.  Reminds me more of Stannis and his council.  Besides attacking Renly and his whole abandoning his brothers in KL.

(1) Renly didn't believe Stannis was the legit heir. He believed Joffrey was the legit heir.

(2) Without the Tyrells, the situation wasn't so favorable for a Baratheon.  

Stay loyal to a man that hasn't declared himself? 

If he's willing to usurp Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella to keep the Lannisters off the throne why shoot himself in the foot by not crowning himself and instead approaching Stannis, he's already usurping Robert's children. 

(1) Renly didn't believe Stannis was the legit heir. He believed Joffrey was the legit heir.

(2) Without the Tyrells, the situation wasn't so favorable for a Baratheon.  

Stay loyal to a man that hasn't declared himself? 

If he's willing to usurp Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella to keep the Lannisters on the throne why shoot himself in the foot by not crowning himself and instead approaching Stannis, he's already usurping Robert's children. 

Well, if ignorance is not taken as a mistake, then sure, Renly did the good thing.

Archived