Making A Murderer: Netflix Documentary Series (SPOILERS)

DaveSumm

If the police would have been even a little contrite about taking away 18 years of his life it would have went a long way towards restoring my faith in them. Instead, they refused to admit they were wrong about the rape. Just once I wanted to hear them say "Look, we were wrong about that. SA didn't do it and our own bias's led us to convict him wrongly. This has been a learning experience and in the future we will not let our bias's impede our investigations. Even though SA is a complete POS, he didn't deserve that. We are sorry"

But no, instead they said "Just because the DNA evidence proved he didn't do it, doesn't mean he didn't do it". Fuck them

9 minutes ago, Ken Stone said:

If the police would have been even a little contrite about taking away 18 years of his life it would have went a long way towards restoring my faith in them. Instead, they refused to admit they were wrong about the rape. Just once I wanted to hear them say "Look, we were wrong about that. SA didn't do it and our own bias's led us to convict him wrongly. This has been a learning experience and in the future we will not let our bias's impede our investigations. Even though SA is a complete POS, he didn't deserve that. We are sorry"

But no, instead they said "Just because the DNA evidence proved he didn't do it, doesn't mean he didn't do it". Fuck them

I don't really remember that part of the documentary.  But I would agree that their (cops AND prosecutor) attitude about the wrongful conviction has been pretty disgusting.  At least from what I've seen.

Fascinating and rage-inducing documentary. So many terrible people in one series, it's hard to know where to start. Lenk and Colborn are seriously dodgy. Anyone else notice the incessant blinking of Lenk when he was being questioned by the defence? Kachinsky and O'Kelly are just horrible, horrible people.

Having been reading the discussion, just to mention on the dubious evidence front that there is supposed to be no way of testing sweat for DNA. The despicable Kratz has somehow got away with continually misleading people by bringing up evidence that is highly questionable and has been either debunked or shown to be dubious.

There are so many unanswered questions whirling around my head.

The thing I keep coming back to is the bullet and the lack of blood in the area the victum was supposedly massacred in. The  cops spent days searching his house and garage right after her death and couldn't find anything, yet found the bullet in 30 minutes when they went back months later. And how did SA clean up every drop of blood, including all the splatter, yet couldn't be bothered to clean up anything else? It just doesn't make sense. I still think SA likely killed her, but to what degree did the cops frame him will always be the unanswerable question.

• 4 months later...

Netflix announced this is coming back for season two. Same case will be the subject, which I did not expect. You'd think they used up all the really interesting stuff the first time around. 

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. That should give them loads of material for season two, at least. Though I can't help but feel...conflicted. I still think he probably committed the second murder, and now he's free because of Netflix. Weird. 

13 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Wow. That should give them loads of material for season two, at least. Though I can't help but feel...conflicted. I still think he probably committed the second murder, and now he's free because of Netflix. Weird. 

Avery is not free

Dassey is, and for reasons that don't apply to Avery

We had already seen at the end of the documentary that a group was helping Dassey with his case and trying to get his conviction overturned for these exact reasons, so I doubt the doc had anything to do with this.  

I do wonder how this works with Avery's trial since so much rested on Brandon's 'confession'.  

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sure we saw that they were already pursuing this route, but the widespread popularity of the documentary certainly helped the kid's cause. 

Perhaps financially.  Unless you're suggesting that the judge was unethical and was moved by the drama of a Netflix doc rather than the evidence?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Perhaps financially.  Unless you're suggesting that the judge was unethical and was moved by the drama of a Netflix doc rather than the evidence?

Not the drama, the spotlight it put on the case. That has a psychological effect, even if it's just subconscious. And I'm sure it helped the defense fund's revenue via increased donations. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Very interesting. Shows you what a good documentary can do. Avery's lawyers can probably use this to get a retrial. 

been a while since I saw the documentary, but I thought they explicitly did not put his confession into Avery's trial, basically for this exact reason?

On 8/12/2016 at 5:38 PM, Swordfish said:

been a while since I saw the documentary, but I thought they explicitly did not put his confession into Avery's trial, basically for this exact reason?

Same here, but iirc, they used his confession as part of the justification to charge Avery. I don't think his confession was formally introduced in court, but it was referenced. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The thing that gives me pause about the whole thing is the 15 (at the time) year old cousin(?), who came forward to ...someone... to basically snitch on Brandon and say that he had incriminated himself to her. What was that about? As far as I could tell when she was on the witness stand she recanted her prior statements about what Brandon confessed to her, but I could not fathom her motivation for making up such an awful lie about her cousin in the first place. So that makes me wonder if Brandon did really confess to her.

The other thing is, who the hell killed Teresa Halbach? I would find it extremely difficult to believe the Manitowoc police / DA's office would kill her in order to frame Avery. I certainly can believe them manufacturing evidence to frame Avery. I can believe that because it's been done before, more than once and in more than one country. But the cops still have to find Halbach's body / burnt remains, confirm that it's her (in the case of burnt remains) and then plant them in the burning pit. Or whoever killed Halbach did all that stuff within the timeframe of killing her and the cops finding the remains. 

The documentary had me pretty convinced that Steven Avery isn't guilty. But I have a hard time coming up with a viable murder conspiracy. The only believable police/prosecution conspiracy is an opportunistic frame up conspiracy, but the actual circumstances of the murder seems unlikely to be part of a police/prosecution conspiracy.

Then again, being on the hook for $36 million without indemnity insurance to cover it is a powerful motivator for murder.

Archived