Making A Murderer: Netflix Documentary Series (SPOILERS)

DaveSumm

This came up in the Jinx thread and I think it deserves its own. Really incredible stuff. I'll spoiler tag my thoughts for those who haven't seen it (spoilers for the whole series):

All I can say is, even if Steven Avery did rape the woman in the first case, and did rape and murder the victim in the second case, and Brendan did play a part in the second, the whole thing still needs investigating because it absolutely stinks. How on earth such a clusterfuck of police work can still be admitted to court is beyond me. There was barely a single part of the case which wasn't severely tainted by some gross unprofessionalism or bias or just plain error. 

I would like to hear what public defenders think about Len Kachinsky

The guy that he brought in as his expert was probably the most infuriating part of the series for me. His taped session with Brendan to obtain the confession was disgusting, as was how happy he was about it afterwards. Idk how some of these people sleep at night. 

I'd have to watch it over to think of all the dangling questions I had, but off the top of my head; what happened with Colborn knowing he was reading the plate of a RAV4 when he wasn't supposed to know? That was the ending of an episode, I almost thought I'd missed one cos it never came up again. And I thought they'd explore the possibility of his cousin Kayla's interview: when asked why she made it up, she gave the same answer as Brendan "I dunno", which in Brendan's case always meant "they fed it to me, implied I'd be better off if I said it". I suppose they didn't have that one on tape. 

It was sickening how Kratz basically got to have his cake and eat it with Brendan's confession, he called a press conference and fed the story to all the potential jurors months before the trial, and then never called him cos they knew he was a terrible witness. And what the fuck, are you allowed to outright lie in closing arguments? In Steven's trial, they quite happily threw in all those details again, and in Brendan's they put all of Kayla's "he broke down and confessed everything cos he couldn't handle it" stuff. Just cannot get my head round how any of this is acceptable. 

Watching this series was maddening. I could not believe it. It's unfathomable to me. I'd love a documentary about the Halbachs. I honestly think the County felt like they struck gold when they found Teresa's body. I highly doubt they had anything to do with her death, but with this case, it wouldn't surprise me.

I wanted to hear more about the ex-boyfriend, and the bothersome calls she was getting at work. 

I wanted to hear more about the ex-boyfriend, and the bothersome calls she was getting at work. 

It was infuriating to watch the defending lawyers have to constantly watch themselves and never venture into territory of accusing others. I sincerely hope that this just wasn't included in the documentary, and they did follow it up. 

You know, you like to picture detectives as people who actually wanted to be detectives as kids, maybe read a few books, maybe came across the very basic principles of impartial investigation that anyone who's seen/read any Sherlock Holmes ever would have come across. But right from the get go, you have the female cop who said "oh, that sounds like Steven Avery" right to the victim's face, just rank amateur behaviour throughout. 

Just finished the second episode. Is the whole series about the county framing Avery even for the Teresa case?

Keep watching, or you will miss the reveal the actual killer was really Aliens. Avery fighting them on their home planet was awesome...

I had to stop watching for several days after episode 4, the episode that focused on Brendan Dassey and his many coerced confessions.  It was so infuriating. Brendan's session with O'Kelley was one of the most upsetting things I've ever seen, made even more upsetting when emails later surfaced that he apparently is a fan of eugenics and thought the Avery family was a good candidate to be removed from the gene pool.  

I'm not really sure how I feel about Steve Avery's guilt or innocence.  I have reasonable doubts about both, which I think is natural when he's introduced as a man who once burned a cat alive.  The documentary is heavily bent to the Avery viewpoint so I'm not sure what other evidence was presented.  Based on the things we saw, it's clear that was reasonable doubt about his guilt based on the theory and lack of evidence the state presented.  I guess like Dean Strang, I almost want him to be guilty because it's just too horrible to think about the implications if he's not.  

There's so much more I want to know about.  The gleeful cousin who found the RAV4, Bobby Dassey and his stepfather, Teresa's brother and ex boyfriend.  THE COP WHO CALLED IN THE MISSING CAR DAYS BEFORE IT WAS OFFICIALLY FOUND!! And most of all I want O'Kelley and Krachinsky to be held accountable for what they did to Brendan.  

If any of these documents introduce new evidence, can that even be used since they'd have been obtained (presumably) illegally?  Unless there is a phone call with Colburn and Lenk explicitly discussion the cover up, it's hard to imagine anything worse than Colburn having called in the missing car before it was ever found or that exchange where he received info that Avery didn't do it in 1996 and did nothing about it.  

I had to stop watching for several days after episode 4, the episode that focused on Brendan Dassey and his many coerced confessions.  It was so infuriating. Brendan's session with O'Kelley was one of the most upsetting things I've ever seen, made even more upsetting when emails later surfaced that he apparently is a fan of eugenics and thought the Avery family was a good candidate to be removed from the gene pool.  

Shit, I'd totally forgotten about that asshole being more than happy to use that ribbon to coerce the confession in the first place and then crying about it. Some of these people seem really messed up.

I don't understand that tweet, what is it that's being released?

The most infuriating thing is that regardless of whether or not Avery actually did it, the state continuously botched the evidence, regardless of if it was or wasn't legitimate.

From allowing officers with definite conflict of interest to be major parts of the search, to botching the DNA evidence, to all the other shady actives (ranging from someone deleting Teresa's voicemails (only the EX had her password), Colburn having obviously found the car before it was 'found', Lenk mysteriously finding the key where it wasn't a day before, Teresa's own DNA being absent on her own key, etc.) really point anyone looking for reasonable doubt a pretty clear direction.  But, in the end, those jurors said what was really the story, that there were a few jurors who, from the get go, believed Avery was guilty and browbeat the rest into agreeing.

Archived