Star Wars Episode 8 - What comes next? (Episode 7 Spoilers)

Joe Pesci

Hey, according to the most asinine fan theory I've seen too much of lately, Kylo went to the dark side as a deep cover agent to kill Snoke...

I watched TFA a second time with that theory in mind.

1) It is still possible.

2) Most likely, the fans who came up with that misinterpreted what Kylo was talking about during the scene with Han Solo.

I wonder why Ren decided that it should be Vader who represented strength. I mean, he was a great villain, but not a terribly effective one in terms of the galactic war, if we just look at what the OT shows us. He spends most of the trilogy looking for Luke.

Well yeah, but there's all the stuff he did not shown in the trilogy, and before the trilogy started.  He was the Emperor's get shit done guy. So lots of dead Jedi and massacres. The long chase in Empire Strikes Back kinda gives you an idea how effective he was, even though Han fooled him.

I think the most logical theory right now that ties into Episode VIII is....

Felicity Jones's character in Rogue One is either Mara Jade or a character who is basically like her with a different name and a few different traits. Just like Mara Jade, Felicity's character is a smuggler and has red hair.  She is also the PERFECT age to have a child with Luke.

It also makes sense why Disney would specifically choose this movie to come out between Episode's VII & VIII.

And Daisy Ridley actually looks like a cross between Felicity Jones and a young Mark Hamill.

The big question would be then be if she is alive by Episode VII, and if so, who will play her.

Jack in Lost is an even better analog.  But it also reinforces the idea that JJ has a problem with sticking to a story without trying to complicate things...but I digress...

Honestly, and I know this is bad, but I have zero idea who Issac is. And that might contribute to my ambivalence to the character.  But Poe really is a hang on at this point. 

You know what's funny? JJ had NOTHING to do with Lost post-pilot. He confirmed it in a Q&A with Vanity Fair or Entertainment Weekly, I forget which one. I think you are actually referring to Daemon Lindeloff. 

Does anyone think Abrams might get around to either confirming or exploiting the surprisingly convincing theory (and I'm not being facetious) that Jar Jar might have been a covert Sith?

I agree with you that it actually is convincing. I watched the video with all the evidence, and it truly makes a loooot of sense.

I'm sure it's been posted, but in case someone did not see it and doesn't want to search for it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yy3q9f84EA

Hey, according to the most asinine fan theory I've seen too much of lately, Kylo went to the dark side as a deep cover agent to kill Snoke...

I hate that theory so much. Even more so with Luke's approval of this like some kind of plan to bring down Snoke aka Darth Plageius. We don't know his reasons for turing to the Dark side, but this stuff is just no.

I agree with you that it actually is convincing. I watched the video with all the evidence, and it truly makes a loooot of sense.

I'm sure it's been posted, but in case someone did not see it and doesn't want to search for it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yy3q9f84EA

I'm convinced that Lucas, even though he's got it wrong before in the past with unpopular, but would-be popular, characters, had a trick up his sleeve with what was most probably the deliberately annoying character of Jar Jar, but the public hatred of the character precluded him from following up with a reveal of Jar Jar's motivations, because he'd have had to stick with the character against audience interests over the next two films. 

I'm convinced that Lucas, even though he's got it wrong before in the past with unpopular, but would-be popular, characters, had a trick up his sleeve with what was most probably the deliberately annoying character of Jar Jar, but the public hatred of the character precluded him from following up with a reveal of Jar Jar's motivations, because he'd have had to stick with the character against audience interests over the next two films. 

No, GL wanted a slapstick style character (see TPM making-of documentary, which shows him chuckling over Buster Keaton antics while trying to write the script) that he hoped would resonate with the kids. And Jar Jar did--I remember 'back n da day'  some little tyke in the movie theater passionately telling a bunch of adults that "Jar Jar was cool!", and even some of my more clueless 7th graders still feel that Jar Jar was "funny". The critical and fanatic backlash was so great, though, that Jar Jar was severely curtailed in the sequels/set up as a patsy rather than as a main character (which would have made Ep II and III even worse).

it's obvious, no, that ren will abandon plagueis and return to the republic, but, after having been mindwiped by former mentor, will become infatuated with general leia, and she with him, whereupon they will elope and have unnatural force-babies (to set up the next trilogy, of course)? plot thereafter involves ren then taking down a sphinx-like monster (luke, I guess) with rey's help.

episode IX therefore must concern the anagnorisis, wherein ren realizes that he has married his mother and re-enacted the standard freudian bourgeois household melodrama, the peripeteia, wherein ren then kills leia and re-commits to plagueis, and finally the catastrophe, wherein rey kills them all off and raises the leia-ren force-babies.

srsly, they should hire me.

it's obvious, no, that ren will abandon plagueis and return to the republic, but, after having been mindwiped by former mentor, will become infatuated with general leia, and she with him, whereupon they will elope and have unnatural force-babies (to set up the next trilogy, of course)? plot thereafter involves ren then taking down a sphinx-like monster (luke, I guess) with rey's help.

episode IX therefore must concern the anagnorisis, wherein ren realizes that he has married his mother and re-enacted the standard freudian bourgeois household melodrama, the peripeteia, wherein ren then kills leia and re-commits to plagueis, and finally the catastrophe, wherein rey kills them all off and raises the leia-ren force-babies.

Thank you.  I have been thinking this ever since I saw the movie.

Also, the Jedi as a power always struck me as "not as good as they think they are" in a Dolores Umbridge kind of way.  Though the essence of the sagas is on some level to boil the complexity out of characters and situations, I have some hope that the rest of the movies explore the humanity of the characters a little bit more.  By Ep. VI, Luke was a relatively one-dimensional character (he was always whiny and annoying IMO, but it only got worse).  I hope they don't Jedi what is interesting about Rey, and Sith what is interesting about Ren, out of existence.  

But, I also know that Rey is ready for her journey to the underworld. . . .hope it is an interesting ride.

Does anyone think Abrams might get around to either confirming or denying the surprisingly convincing theory (and I'm not being facetious) that Jar Jar might have been a covert Sith?

I agree that its a convincing theory, and I also like the theory that Lucas chickened out on the reveal because he underestimated just how badly most fans would react to Jar Jar in TPM. I don't think the theory will ever get confirmed or denied though because I don't think Jar Jar will ever be mentioned in relation to the new movies; he, and pretty much everything else from the prequels, will be quarantined from the rest of the canon to the greatest extent possible IMO. 

The only exception I see is if in 10-15 years Disney decides to outright remake the prequels; which I could see happening, if the movies are still doing well at the box office (no need to keep matching TFA's take though) and they can't come up with enough ideas for additional movies. 

Ren should also blind himself.

Just a guess:

Later aboard a Resistance medical frigate, Calrissian Jr. and Chewbacca set off in the Falcon to find Gebba the Hutt and Boba Fett in order to save Finn. As the Falcon departs, Rey, Leia, BB-8, and C-3PO look on and await their contact.

And Calrissian Jr inexplicably puts on Finn's clothes

Just saw it tonight, but quick thoughts for the next one:

-I got the vibe that Rey is Han and Leia's daughter; don't know how it all works, but that's what it felt like they were setting up; next film will end with "Rey, I am your brother"

-Finn/Poe will have a buddy cop style adventure for the first 2/3, which I'm really looking forward to; both actors were perfect in those parts and I really want to see more of Poe

-Luke/Rey will be the Yoda/Luke of this trilogy

-We'll learn what happened in Ben's/Ren's back story

-We'll learn what happened to C3PO's arm

-We'll learn how Lupita Kannata ended up with Luke's light saber (which I'm assuming involves Lando, since it was lost at Cloud City)

Archived