What if the Mountain had killed Loras?

Brannis the Mannis

Or what if Ned sent Loras to root him out of his keep and he gets slain/brotherhood? One of the stupidiest moves by Ned, I even think that someone like Varys told him tgat he should have used him to get Tyrells on his side.

Someone like Varys was in fact Littlefinger. Poor old Ned never listens to Petyr at the right moments...

For the record, LF tells Sansa, not Ned.  Though I agree, it would've been a smart move.

To the OP, Robert would have had no choice but to kill him on the spot, and still would've needed to do some damage control.  I imagine a Margery Renly betrothal.

For the record, LF tells Sansa, not Ned.  Though I agree, it would've been a smart move.

To the OP, Robert would have had no choice but to kill him on the spot, and still would've needed to do some damage control.  I imagine a Margery Renly betrothal.

I believe that he told that Ned aswell. Right after he rejected Loras. To bad he didnt take the chace of destroying every chance for Lannister-Tyrell alliance becauseI think that Tyrells are faction who wins wars, if they left 10k-ish men to Storms end and tokk 30k to Trident the rebellion would likely fail.

Death at the tourney: the Mountain's head is promptly removed. Even Tywin wouldn't have been able to protect Gregor from that furor.

Death in the field: The Brotherhood without Banners may have never formed, as it's unclear if in this alternate timeline most of the rest of the crew Ned sent out remains the same. Renly would have marched his giant Tyrell/Baratheon army into the Riverlands to hunt the Mountain down. Tywin would have stayed closer to the Westerlands since he would have been in harder spot. It's unclear what Stannis would have done, but if he and Renly's story plays out the same, Tywin could eventually just kill Gregor for the Tyrell's and strike the same deal he did in the proper timeline (he could always say Loras's death was unintentional). 

Robert would've immediately ordered for Clegane's head. The question is, would the Mountain allow himself to be taken?

Well, Hound would be the first to fight, then Kingsguard would join, so he is dead. If someone kills him without letting Hound to finish, maybe Hound will kill him instead.

If the Hound hadn't intervened, what would have been the consequences?

We would have lost a character who's  who featured in book 2 through 4.  No Kingsguard, no renly lover, no assaulting dragonstone, no reason for Olenna to plot against Joff knowing that when Joff eventually hurt Marg Loras would kill him ect. Boring really. 

We would have lost a character who's  who featured in book 2 through 4.  No Kingsguard, no renly lover, no assaulting dragonstone, no reason for Olenna to plot against Joff knowing that when Joff eventually hurt Marg Loras would kill him ect. Boring really. 

omg, it's like GRRM actually knows what he does and every single thing of his books has a purpose!

omg, it's like GRRM actually knows what he does and every single thing of his books has a purpose!

What????

I just thought he roles a dice to decide how situations are resolved ...

INORITE?

What????

I just thought he roles a dice to decide how situations are resolved ...

:)

No, that's dungeons and dragons. Both D&D and ASOIAF are heavily influenced by Tolkien. 

Robert would've immediately ordered for Clegane's head. The question is, would the Mountain allow himself to be taken?

He would be dead, Sangor, KG, dozens of knights... and if necessary, Robert would kill him with his voice  they could just shoot him.

I think he's more of a dart throwing guy

Yep. He throws a dart at he map to decide where Daenerys goes next, and then plays connect the dots to map out her adventure.

Archived