Basterds of House Baratheon

Greystark Reborn

Is anybody hoping that some of Robert's other children will get introduced? I love Gendry and Mya, we know what happened to poor baby Barra and Cersei has twins killed, Bella is still up in the air, and Edric's fate is unknown at this point. The likelyhood of Martin doing that in the next books are slim to none, but if we put out a compendium where they are listed and are given brief ideas of what their lives were like.

If Martin where to introduce the 17 other children, what would you's hope they'd be like?

The other 17 children? Bob only had 16 in total, according to Maggy. So if I'm not mistaken, I think we're missing 9. 

As to their potential whereabouts, I'd be surprised if there aren't some in the general area of Highgarden, considering Robert told Ned wonders about the place and really seemed to enjoy his time there...if you know what I mean. And the sight of a gallant, chivalrous Robert lookalike would be something.

If Robert has "made the Eight*", and considering how "efective" he is (Edric, anyone?,) then there's probably one in the the Reach (as mentioned by G.G. Garlan ^,) in the North, in Dorne, in the Iron Islands (during the rebellion,) maybe a serving girl at the Inn of the Crossroads (Robert was wounded at the Ruby Ford and spent some time around the area while recovering.) We know of bastards in the rest of the kingdoms.

Varys claims knowledge of eight of Robert's bastards, and we have knowledge of only seven. He might have a bastard under the sleeve as plan F should Aegon fail.

ETA: * Blegh. Show reference. No wonder I got it wrong.

yes. But should not this one be acknowledged too? It is a high born woman, his cousin. 

I cannot remember all the details, was she married as well?  Also I know that 1 of the big points about acknowledging Edric was how it happened and the fact that the Florents were considered pretty important.  Even if everyone in the castle on Estermont were to know, they may not want to make a big deal of it due to Cersei's reputation.

I cannot remember all the details, was she married as well?  Also I know that 1 of the big points about acknowledging Edric was how it happened and the fact that the Florents were considered pretty important.  Even if everyone in the castle on Estermont were to know, they may not want to make a big deal of it due to Cersei's reputation.

that is right after his wedding. Cersei is a new bride, no reputation yet. 

That cousin is a widow. Who already lost husband as well as daddy. 

I guess they just did not manage to have a child. If so, the kid will be acknowledged. 

that is right after his wedding. Cersei is a new bride, no reputation yet. 

That cousin is a widow. Who already lost husband as well as daddy. 

I guess they just did not manage to have a child. If so, the kid will be acknowledged. 

I don't think we can say that for sure.  You may be right, but we have been told Robert had 16 kids, and we were told about him having sex with her for several nights in a row.  We have also been stories of people passing of bastards of as legitimate heirs.  Was Robert visiting her right after her husband died?  If so I think they would try to pass it off as a legitimate heir like the Plumms did.

I don't think we can say that for sure.  You may be right, but we have been told Robert had 16 kids, and we were told about him having sex with her for several nights in a row.  We have also been stories of people passing of bastards of as legitimate heirs.  Was Robert visiting her right after her husband died?  If so I think they would try to pass it off as a legitimate heir like the Plumms did.

her husband died in the siege of storm end. And cersei married robert long after that. It can not be passed as his. There is likely no kid from their affair. 

I've heard theories that Russell Merryweather is actually Robert's. I don't know if there's any evidence of that theory, besides Taena's supposed unwillingness to bring Russell to court. 

maybe. Taena was called as a great beauty. Hard to believe robert would skip her. 

and why would robert pardon house merryweather suddenly? They are targ loyalists. Maybe robert did this for this beautiful wife. 

Acturally I am wondering why he only had 16. 

He slept around for so many years without protection. 

He should have hundreds of them. 

Could be because of the higher infant mortality rate back then, especially if the mothers were lowborn (they probably had a higher infant mortality rate because they didn't have maesters to care for them like the highborn). There may have been way more pregnancies but only 17 live births.

I've heard theories that Russell Merryweather is actually Robert's. I don't know if there's any evidence of that theory, besides Taena's supposed unwillingness to bring Russell to court. 

I hadn't heard that one before. Pretty interesting. There has to be a reason for Taena's reluctance to bring her son to court. 

I've always attributed Taena's reluctance to bring her son to court to her wanting to keep him safe /not allow anyone (Cersei in particular) to use him against her, the way the Lannisters used Sansa and Arya, the way Littlefinger and Renly suggested Ned use Joffrey, and so on. The idea he is Robert's bastard is interesting though, and certainly adds another layer to her reluctance. 

As far as the "only" 16 bastards, it is not like every single encounter between Robert and his favorite of the moment would lead to a baby. There's the issue of timing on the female side of things, the existence of counteractive measures like moon tea and the Cersei method, and the general lack of pre-, peri-, and post-natal care, any one of which could prevent pregnant and/or a live birth. 

However, I would really really like a full list of the 16, even if they have nothing to contribute to the story. 

I've always attributed Taena's reluctance to bring her son to court to her wanting to keep him safe /not allow anyone (Cersei in particular) to use him against her, the way the Lannisters used Sansa and Arya, the way Littlefinger and Renly suggested Ned use Joffrey, and so on. The idea he is Robert's bastard is interesting though, and certainly adds another layer to her reluctance. 

As far as the "only" 16 bastards, it is not like every single encounter between Robert and his favorite of the moment would lead to a baby. There's the issue of timing on the female side of things, the existence of counteractive measures like moon tea and the Cersei method, and the general lack of pre-, peri-, and post-natal care, any one of which could prevent pregnant and/or a live birth. 

However, I would really really like a full list of the 16, even if they have nothing to contribute to the story. 

Yeah, but he kept whoring for almost his whole mature life and earned him the nickname whoremonger king.

That is around 20 years I guess? he died at 36.

let us say he slept with only one woman in 10 days at average (certainly underestimation), that will be 720 women. 

Only 16 children out of 720 women?

Archived