Football : The end of the year as we know it

kairparavel

Lucky today, as we really should have had a penalty against us at the death, but I'll take the result. We were generally okay in the first half, but we really struggled in the second.

Also, I'm disappointed Solyent wasn't on to comment on the substitution that saw Allen enter the game. Is that wrong?

We did a Newcastle, but in a good way so no punching horses.

Nice not to lose but we should have held our lead for longer and built upon it. We needed a win today to capitalize on dropped points elsewhere. Leicester and West Ham made good ground in this round.

I like the idea of Henderson, Can and Allen in midfield, even if Milner was decent today. I hope our much chopped and changed central defense improves but Mignolet is a real problem. We have recalled Danny Ward from loan.

Leicester are the big winners tonight. Them and West Ham are the only teams in the top six who won, and the title challenge is still on.

I was hoping Liverpool would salvage at least a point, not that you really need to worry about the Gunners getting away too far since they will always drop points unexpectedly in smaller games, but still, best to keep them in sight. A shame we couldn't profit from the draws.

I really hope Wenger actually plays him. My biggest worry is he makes the squad but Wenger plays Flamini or Arteta over him.

I bet he will play Flamini or Arteta, possibly to our detriment. The thing I find exciting with Elneny's arrival (apart from the positive hype around him, which I am still slightly skeptical of) is that he's young and by all accounts has promise. Even if he isn't an instant hit, having the option between him and Coquelin (when he gets back) should really stiffen the spine of this team in the future and give us good cover. Wenger continues to buy young prospects who are on the way up to forging good careers, rather than proven big gun 'obvious' buys, for which I have great admiration.

Obviously with Coquelin out it would be good for him to hit the ground running. He could be useful against Stoke, who nowadays don't play as much like orcs, but I doubt he'll get a starting job.

Both Madrid clubs are getting banned for 2 transfer windows for similar offences to Barca. Ban starts after this transfer window. 

As if the suspension from Copa Del Rey wasn't enough.

Perez has to go. First Ancelotti, then Copa Del Rey and now this. Its three strikes in six months itself.

(Besides what can he do now that there are no transfers to make)

They'll appeal and be able to buy in the summer right? Fully expect a monstrous offer for Pogba from Real if they can. 

the Barca suspension was handed down in April so any appeal could be heard before the next summer transfer.

The player who caused the suspension is meant be Zidanes son.

Why not start him in front of Flamini who is an awful footballer?

Both Madrid clubs are getting banned for 2 transfer windows for similar offences to Barca. Ban starts after this transfer window. 

We, as fans, would, but Wenger has loyalty to players and it's clear he likes consistency of sides so Flamini/Arteta, due to being at Arsenal for awhile, might start ahead of him.

Did Barcelona actually face a ban? Seems to me they kept buying without any slow down?

These bans prevent you from registering (and thus fielding) players, not from signing them. So Barca could sign Turan, for example, but he couldn't play for them until the ban expired.

I wonder what this will do for Madrid in terms of them letting players go.

There have been very strong rumours about Ronaldo departing, but if they are unable to replenish the team in the summer should he depart, it seems unlikely he would go. Unless he absolutely forced a transfer but they'd think they'd be weaker for it.

They do have so many top guys, but if this holds they will hang on to all of them.

Archived