Flat Earth theory gaining converts???

Ser Scot A Ellison

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently rapper B.o.B. is convinced the Earth is flat and has gotten into a bit of a spat with Neil Degrasse Tyson over his interesting belief:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/bob-wrote-a-neil-degrasse-tyson-diss-track-to-prove-the-earth-is-flat/ar-BBoIPru?ocid=ansmsnent11

From the article:

This may seem preposterous to you. You thought this debate was long settled. You thought all those photos NASA has released of the Earth from space were real photos of the real Earth. Well, actually, you're right. But B.o.B. has some other thoughts. His main argument that the Earth is flat seems to be that the horizon always looks like a straight line in his Instagram pics.

The cities in the background are approx. 16miles apart... where is the curve ? please explain this pic.twitter.com/YCJVBdOWX7

— B.o.B (@bobatl)

January 25, 2016

One person who answered B.o.B.'s call to "explain this" was astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, who loves getting in Twitter fights and he loves proving people wrong — even, or maybe especially, at the expense of fun. So Tyson spent part of yesterday trying to explain to B.o.B. why he was wrong, via a series of tweets, which are not generally known for their ability to inspire rational discussion or provide a useful educational tool.

@bobatl Polaris is gone by 1.5 deg S. Latitude. You’ve never been south of Earth’s Equator, or if so, you've never looked up.

— Neil deGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson)

January 25, 2016

Tyson's facts achieved the effect of nothing, and it seemed things were going to keep, er, spinning along as always. Until last night, when B.o.B. responded to Tyson in the form of a diss track. The track, called "Flatline," samples a NdGT speech in which he talks about the Earth being an "oblate spheroid," which honestly does sound suspicious.

What has happened to Science Education in the US?  I grew up in the buckle of the Bible Belt, South Carolina, and I'm fairly scientifically literate.

Al Gore invented a picture of the Earth from space that is an 'oblate spheroid', that should convince someone better than pointing them to math that they don't understand.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/07/our-new-and-daily-view-of-the-blue-marble/399011/

How would someone respond to that without claiming outright fraud?

2 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I cannot read or say Tila Tequilla without cracking up. Just the notion that she is out there somewhere and actually walking and breeding among the living souls of this planet is fascinating and lets face it, a bit scary as well.

I am, by far, more scared of the breedings of Palin and Bachmann and Cruz than I am of a pop star.

2 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I cannot read or say Tila Tequilla without cracking up. Just the notion that she is out there somewhere and actually walking and breeding among the living souls of this planet is fascinating and lets face it, a bit scary as well.

I am, by far, more scared of the breedings of Palin and Bachmann and Cruz than I am of a pop star.

On 30/12/2015 at 10:31 AM, drawkcabi said:

I want to see if I can make Scot's head explode, or at least give him a nosebleed :P

Hey! Get the Baha'i Faith out of that video. We've been [semi-]spherical Earthers from the beginning! Grumble grumble.

20 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My Brother is an Aeronautics enginer.  He works on Satelite design and is fairly well paid for his work.  I suppose the "Flat Earthers" would say he is in on the "conspiracy"?

They would probably also say that your grandfather was lying about the Holocaust. 

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Nestor,

I'm simply curious to see how deep these folks would beleive the "spherical Earth" conspiracy would go.

Presumably as deep as the Jewish/lizard-people/Illuminati/Templar* conspiracy wants

*delete as appropriate

Archived