Flat Earth theory gaining converts???

Ser Scot A Ellison

45 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Presumably as deep as the Jewish/lizard-people/Illuminati/Templar* conspiracy wants

*delete as appropriate

Pretty much.

Trying to apply a logical standard to these types of conspiracy nuts is a futile and likely ultimately frustrating exercise.

One of the articles of Faith of the flat earth movement is the 4th wall conspiracy: in all film footage of people allegedly in space there is never a 180o or 360o pan of the camera to show you what is behind the action. The reason is because there's a studio behind the action, of course.

But surely if NASA's mission is to convince people we haver a round earth and that people really are up in orbit, then surely with today's excellent CGI and green screen technology it would be a very simple thing to make some fake footage shing a 360o camera pan from someone taking a space walk.

I mean the movie Gravity gave us a pretty good impression of the Earth being round and there is just empty space all around the astronauts when they're not facing Earth. So NASA can surely do it in order to keep this spherical conspiracy alive.

Reading the comments in that YouTube video actually made my head hurt, it's actually painful to read that sort of bollocks in the 21st century from actual people alive today.

I just cannot fathom how such people even manage to find their way out of their own bedrooms each morning they seem so utterly foolish and ignorant of the universe around them!

I always remember a quote I read somewhere a while back: "arguing with conspiracy theorists is like giving medicine to dead people"

I didn't initially read this thread because the title didn't make sense.  Then I saw a segment on The Nightly Show with Neil Degrasse Tyson discussing it.  Totally dumbfounded that flat earth theory actually exists, at least among adults.  

23 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Totally dumbfounded that flat earth theory actually exists, at least among adults.  

Actually, pretty much the only flat-Earthers are adults, because unless a child is homeschooled by a flat-Earther parent, they will learn that the Earth is round. That means to be a believer in a flat Earth, you kind of have to get intellectually mugged and thrown into the conspiracy underground.

Anyone heard of the Mandela Effect? Another theory gaining ground with conspiracy enthusiasts. Doesn't deserve it's own thread so I thought I'd mention it here. Many people who believe in the Mandela Effect are also flat earthers.

Basically the Mandela Effect is named after Nelson Mandela because when Mandela passed away in 2013 a bunch of people really thought they remembered him passing away back in the 80's while in prison. So obviously this means that something screwy has messed with the timeline, we're living in an alternate or parallel universe, or those damn Illuminati that are behind everything are behind this.

The biggest thing they are on about is that The Berenstain Bears should be The Berenstein Bears. Because everybody remembers it as the Berenstein Bears somehow time got flip flopped messed around and we're now living in a universe that it's all been changed, the books, cartoons, etc retroactively to Berenstain Bears.

Other examples of this include:

Interview With A Vampire is now Interview With The Vampire

Sex In The City is now Sex And The City

The line "Mirror, Mirror on the wall" from Disney's Snow White has been changed to "Magic Mirror on the wall"

The line "We're going to need a bigger boat" from Jaws has been changed to "You're going to need a bigger boat"

The line "Luke, I am your father," from Empire Strikes Back has been changed to "No, I am your father".

So, yeah no way humans memory could be faulty or they are remembering popular culture's interpretation of many of these quotes and titles rather than the actual original material. Oh no, it's much more believable there's a glitch in the matrix.

It's fun to play with this idea of the Mandela Effect as a thought experiment but people taking it seriously are just silly.

I would've sworn it was Bearenstein Bears too. But I don't get the Mandela one. These people also don't remember that he got out of jail and served as president? I remember that being kind of a big deal. 

Most of the other examples just seem to be taken from one of those "commonly misquoted movie quotes" articles/youtube videos. I'm surprised they'd include any quote from Star Wars as evidence, with all the changes Lucas has made to those movies since their release. (not that I think this is one of those changes.) 

I gotta say though I love that there are people out there so unwilling to admit they were wrong and remembered something incorrectly that this makes sense to them.

It's a matter I think of Mandela being in the news cycle a bit in the 80's during the push to end apartheid. People seeing him on the news more than a few times during a period and then they mis-remember the story is that he died.

You are going to see this happen with Fidel Castro as well when he passes. Periods of him being in the news as his brother took more power while his health fades or U.S. opens up relations with Cuba, when Castro dies the people who only pay cursory attention to events are going to swear they saw his death in the news years ago.

Berenstain Bears I could remember either way, but since it is Berenstain and I really think on it, and I still have a couple cartoons on tape I recorded when I was a kid, I remember it was Berenstain, but it also proves how malleable the human memory is.

Agree with you about Star Wars. I remember as a kid seeing it on laser disc at my friends' house and wondering how I ever missed "Episode IV" in the beginning of the crawl. Also because of the Star Wars storybook that came out around the time of the movie and shows a picture of the scene with Luke and Biggs on Tatooine, people swear they remember seeing a version of the movie when they were young with that scene added.

On 28 January 2016 at 5:27 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My Brother is an Aeronautics enginer.  He works on Satelite design and is fairly well paid for his work.  I suppose the "Flat Earthers" would say he is in on the "conspiracy"?

These people can't think, every airline pilot, seismologist, anyone who works in the air travel industry or an air force really, lots of people who have designed bridges, any astronomer or meteorologist, would know if the Earth was flat, this is a "conspiracy" that would involve millions of people.

53 minutes ago, Ser Arthur Hightower said:

These people can't think, every airline pilot, seismologist, anyone who works in the air travel industry or an air force really, lots of people who have designed bridges, any astronomer or meteorologist, would know if the Earth was flat, this is a "conspiracy" that would involve millions of people.

You've forgotten a couple of groups there.

Anyone who's ever been to the beach.

Anyone who's been on a sea-faring boat.

Anyone who's ever had access to a cliff / tall hill.

4 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Anyone heard of the Mandela Effect? Another theory gaining ground with conspiracy enthusiasts. Doesn't deserve it's own thread so I thought I'd mention it here. Many people who believe in the Mandela Effect are also flat earthers.

Basically the Mandela Effect is named after Nelson Mandela because when Mandela passed away in 2013 a bunch of people really thought they remembered him passing away back in the 80's while in prison. So obviously this means that something screwy has messed with the timeline, we're living in an alternate or parallel universe, or those damn Illuminati that are behind everything are behind this.

I would like to add that at some point, devious conspiracists removed the D from Kate Beckinsale's name (I went years thinking her name was Kate Beckinsdale) and the N from "restaurateur" (only in the last year or so did I realize it was not "restauranteur").

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I'm still trying to come to terms with the Berenstein Bears. That alone makes me feel like there's a non-zero probability of there having been a time glitch somewhere.

There was a bug in the matrix, one that still needs to be patched apparently since I was sure you spelt it the other way.

Archived