Star Wars VII - The Spoiler Menace

Jon AS

I remember that book as well (assuming it's the same one). My friend got it from his uncle, and I recall reading it while we were at the theater waiting for Jurassic Park to start.

Yeah, it's driving me nuts trying to find some reference to this thing. The only thing I can find is this...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35419.The_Making_of_Star_Wars

and I know it's not that as I had this book in 1979 if memory serves, and that was published in 2008. Mine was an oversized softcover, with a blue cover. I'm pretty sure it was a Ralph McQuarrie drawing of the two droids in a desert landscape. Really cool book. I wish I could find some mention of it on the interwebs.

Yeah, I have to agree. Disney has long had a close relationship with Lucas. Pixar is an offshoot of Lucasfilm. You've had the Star Tours ride at Disneyland and Disneyworld, which was developed hand in hand with Lucasfilm and ILM. I believe Lucasfilm also co-produced Captain EO, that Micheal Jackson Disney attraction that ran for years. Disney had been planning a Star Wars Land for its' theme parks for years before they cut the deal with Lucas. This deal went far beyond Disney wanting to get a Star Wars film out in 2015.

Added to this that Bob Iger's tenure has brought Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars into the fold and revitalised the Animation Studios. Disney's not thinking short term.

A lot of urgency had to also have been because of aging actors. If they want ford they don't have much time.

But mostly they run a business and want money. That isn't the worst thing ever, any more than putting in a bunch of new ships and outfits for toys is the worst thing ever. Ultimately judging it by the end product is what needs to be done, and it was very good.

Was it perfect? Nope. But it was good, earned trust, and made money. Hard to ask for more.

Yeah, it's driving me nuts trying to find some reference to this thing. The only thing I can find is this...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3380344/Youthful-Carrie-Fisher-sizzles-iconic-gold-bikini-Star-Wars-Return-Jedi-vintage-shots-racy-Rolling-Stone-shoot.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

and I know it's not that as I had this book in 1979 if memory serves, and that was published in 2008. Mine was an oversized softcover, with a blue cover. I'm pretty sure it was a Ralph McQuarrie drawing of the two droids in a desert landscape. Really cool book. I wish I could find some mention of it on the interwebs.

I would kill for her body.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure we're on the same page. I can almost picture the cover, but I can't quite recall the details. It was them wandering away from the crash site right?

I would kill for her body.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure we're on the same page. I can almost picture the cover, but I can't quite recall the details. It was them wandering away from the crash site right?

Dammit, I put up the wrong link. Hold on. This is the making of Star Wars link.

Yeah, I think the escape pod may have been in the sketch. I don't know for sure. My memory is not what it once was.

"According to the script, the planet on which Rey (Daisy Ridley) meets Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) during the film's final moments is called "Ahch-to" and is said to feature a "pristine and mighty" ocean that is "dotted with random, beautiful, mountainous black rock islands," as well as "countless green trees." Not much is known about the planet, but /Film notes that Ahch-to is Hebrew for brother, which may be a clue as to Rey's relation to Luke.

The screenplay also makes it clear that Luke is well aware of who Rey is, saying Skywalker "doesn’t need to ask her who she is, or what she is doing here." It also describes Hamill's character has having "kindness in his eyes" despite the "tortured" feelings within."

"The vision Rey has when first touching Luke's lightsaber is also detailed, confirming that Cloud City is shown in the opening flashes. Additionally, the script notes that the scene in which Luke is touching R2-D2 is indeed during the attack on his new Jedi Academy.

Additionally, the script confirms that Rey was left in the care of Unbar Plutt (Simon Pegg) when she was abandoned as a child on Jaku, saying: "Unkar Plutt’s meaty hand holds her thin arm" while the starship that brought her there flies off "towards the desert sun."

Adam Driver's Kylo Ren is also further detailed in the screenplay, which notes that Ren is "horrified" and "somehow weakened" when he kills his father Han Solo. Additionally the novelization confirms that Snoke informs Ren that Darth Vader's only weakness was the love he had for Luke, and that was the reason the dark side ultimately fell."

"The script also emphasizes the fear felt within Ren during his battle with Rey, noting Ridley's character nearly killed him before she realized she was standing "on a greater edge than even the cliff — the edge of the dark side." As such, it's clear Rey also feels the pull of the dark side. In fact, the novelization says she hears an "amorphous" voice telling her kill Ren, which, according to the audio book, appears to be Supreme Leader Snoke."

http://ign.com/articles/2015/12/31/star-wars-the-force-awakens-released-script-and-novelization-offer-new-details-on-the-ending-and-more

Big info dump from the script:

1) Luke's Planet: According to the script, the planet on which Rey (Daisy Ridley) meets Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) during the film's final moments is called "Ahch-to" and is said to feature a "pristine and mighty" ocean that is "dotted with random, beautiful, mountainous black rock islands," as well as "countless green trees." Not much is known about the planet, but /Film notes that Ahch-to is Hebrew for brother, which may be a clue as to Rey's relation to Luke.

2) Luke and Rey: The screenplay also makes it clear that Luke is well aware of who Rey is, saying Skywalker "doesn’t need to ask her who she is, or what she is doing here." It also describes Hamill's character has having "kindness in his eyes" despite the "tortured" feelings within.

3) Jedi Academy Attack:The vision Rey has when first touching Luke's lightsaber is also detailed, confirming that Cloud City is shown in the opening flashes. Additionally, the script notes that the scene in which Luke is touching R2-D2 is indeed during the attack on his new Jedi Academy.

4) Rey was left with Plutt: Additionally, the script confirms that Rey was left in the care of Unbar Plutt (Simon Pegg) when she was abandoned as a child on Jaku, saying: "Unkar Plutt’s meaty hand holds her thin arm" while the starship that brought her there flies off "towards the desert sun."

5) Ren, Han and Vader: Adam Driver's Kylo Ren is also further detailed in the screenplay, which notes that Ren is "horrified" and "somehow weakened" when he kills his father Han Solo. Additionally the novelization confirms that Snoke informs Ren that Darth Vader's only weakness was the love he had for Luke, and that was the reason the dark side ultimately fell.

6) Rey and Ren's Duel: The script also emphasizes the fear felt within Ren during his battle with Rey, noting Ridley's character nearly killed him before she realized she was standing "on a greater edge than even the cliff — the edge of the dark side." As such, it's clear Rey also feels the pull of the dark side. In fact, the novelization says she hears an "amorphous" voice telling her kill Ren, which, according to the audio book, appears to be Supreme Leader Snoke.

Nice to know the name of Luke's planet, though no doubt I'll have forgotten it by...my next post. Number 5 is also very interesting, and I wish they'd had some dialogue from Snoke about Vader's weakness being Luke. It would have added something to the eventual murder of Han I think. I seem to recall that there were people on the board disappointed by the reasoning for Ben killing his father. This would explain it well and be consistent with his character as aspiring to be Vader. Didn't get that he felt "horrified" by what he had done though from the film though. It seemed more like he was elated that he had managed it so easily.

As to Rey v Ren, I thought the film did a good job of showing Rey's temptation. I was reminded quite strongly of the Luke/Vader scene in Return of the Jedi where Luke almost succumbs. It does look for a moment as though Rey would have killed him if the chasm hadn't opened up (though I think you said the novelisation says the opposite, she decides not to kill him before they are separated)

Well, one. Kylo suggests replacing the live stormtroopers with clones. So, they apparently have a stock of clone troopers somewhere.

That's what I mean. It's a very deliberate PT reference in TFA, the type that the Guardian writer was arguing were not present.

So, did I read this right in that they are also not bringing any of the expanded universe into this as in Mara Jade?

"JJ Abrams and Disney have studiously avoided touching on anything from the prequel trilogy or expanded universe."

If so, that sort of negates the notion she is Luke's daughter.

I read in another forum a theory that Rey was born of a dark lord and Luke refused to train her, afraid he would awaken something in her, and in the process, let Ben's seduction to the dark side go under his radar.

(I still like the theory she is Obi Wan"s grand niece though).

So, did I read this right in that they are also not bringing any of the expanded universe into this as in Mara Jade?

"JJ Abrams and Disney have studiously avoided touching on anything from the prequel trilogy or expanded universe."

If so, that sort of negates the notion she is Luke's daughter.

I read in another forum a theory that Rey was born of a dark lord and Luke refused to train her, afraid he would awaken something in her, and in the process, let Ben's seduction to the dark side go under his radar.

(I still like the theory she is Obi Wan"s grand niece though).

I'm pretty sure they made that up entirely. Prequel references are present in both TFA and other new canon works (including SW Rebels,) and a fair few EU elements are finding their way into the new canon, either as highly similar proxies or actual EU content (such as Taris).

Mileage varies, I guess.  i thought it was sufficiently conveyed by the focus on his blood in the snow, his staggering, and leaning trees, and by his pounding on his wound.  i think there was even a close up on his face where he looked palid and sweaty, as if in shock.  Clearly his injury is affecting his movements and concentration at the very least.  And I don't think we need some sort of hit points status bar to guage the exact extent.  No matter what his "normal" level of fitness is, he is clearly incapacitated now.  

Sure, there's the non-fighting actions where the injury is emphasized, I'm just pointing to what Ren's fighting actions tell us. One would think a master of cinema would have the two aspects support each other, whereas JJ has them in contradiction.

It's telling that by the time Rey finally does mash that Force button Kylo Ren has utterly dominated the fight and is easily in the ascendancy. At that moment we haven't seen anything in his fighting actions that suggests he is weakening from the injury even though he's been fighting with it for a number of minutes. In fact if anything we've seen him getting stronger, since he's fought his way to a position of almost complete dominance over Rey right before the moment she enters the cheat code to enable Force Mode.

I am certainly dismayed that during the course of the conversation you've gone from it being "impossible to determine" whether the injury is affecting Ren's fighting to him being "clearly incapacitated now". I mean, I didn't necessarily expect to be able to make you see it more as I do, but I also didn't expect you to retreat even further from it. I must be losing my touch. ;)

Why? Luke doesn't have a daughter in the EU. 

Just referencing the theory they traded out a son for a daughter, and I'm of the opinion she isn't related to either the Solos or the Skywalkers. I'm of the opinion if she is related to anyone, it's a Kenobi.

https://youtu.be/4mjFfdrTJrQ

I do have to say that bit where Obi Wan does the mind trick on the storm trooper blew my mind in the sense that it is almost exactly what Rey does with her jailer. It's how she escapes.

And now that it seems that there is a rumor about an Obi Wan stand-alone movie in between........

Dammit, I put up the wrong link. Hold on. This is the making of Star Wars link.

Yeah, I think the escape pod may have been in the sketch. I don't know for sure. My memory is not what it once was.

I am convincing myself the book we are all referring to is the 1978 Star Wars Storybook:  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Star_Wars_Storybook

I am convincing myself the book we are all referring to is the 1978 Star Wars Storybook:  http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Star_Wars_Storybook

I had that one too, but I don't think that's it. I may have been confusing the cover from that one for the other though. Pretty sure it had some version of this sketch on the cover...

Droids%20McQuarrie_zpsuzxi2g7p.png

And now that it seems that there is a rumor about an Obi Wan stand-alone movie in between........

I'd love to see that. I've seen people suggesting a Yojimbo/Fist Full of Dollars type movie where he plays the scum and villainy of Mos Eisley against each other. But they could probably wait a few years and let McGregor age a bit more.

I'd love to see that. I've seen people suggesting a Yojimbo/Fist Full of Dollars type movie where he plays the scum and villainy of Mos Eisley against each other. But they could probably wait a few years and let McGregor age a bit more.

That would be awesome.

And I just looked it up. and it seems it has traction.

Archived