Star Wars VII - The Spoiler Menace

Jon AS

As a few others have mentioned, it doesn't look like they're going the romance route with Finn and Rey. Personally, I'll be glad if they don't - it's not anything to do with them in particular, it's just that not every movie needs a romance subplot. I'm so tired of them, and they so rarely work out well. Or maybe I'm just emotionally scarred after Tauriel in the Hobbit trilogy. :lol:

I finally got around to seeing TFA, and I have to say I loved it. This may just be because I was so excited and thus willing to overlook flaws, so maybe my opinion will change on further viewing, but I doubt it.

I think that people are being kind of ridiculous in their chritcism, most of what I've seen griped about are relitively minor issues, or are reasonably explained within the confines and logic of the Star Wars universe.

I think the thing that, more than anything struck me was the end, when Rey and Luke are looking at each other, and they cut to a shot of Luke, it was the first time in a long time where I looked at Mark Hamil and thought to myself, holy shit, that is Luke, and it immediately took me back to the first time I saw A New Hope.

9. I want that Scottish guy who kept saying Kanjuklub to come back. I fucking want his voice so bad. And he looks identical to my friend so I want to keep freaking him out whenever we see the movie. 

Was it Kanjuklub? I thought it was Kanjikclub? I was imagining it as the Japanese writing club, and thus they are all calligrapher swordsmen. I loved that scene. I wish they had kept the monsters out of it and had like a laser battle with those guys.

Forgive me if this is the wrong thread to post this, but...

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-lucas-apologizes-over-force-awakens-criticisms-20160101

George Lucas Apologizes Over 'Force Awakens' Criticisms

"I misspoke and used a very inappropriate analogy and for that I apologize," filmmaker says after calling Disney "white slavers"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-lucas-apologizes-over-force-awakens-criticisms-20160101#ixzz3w16RnnPo 
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Holy crap. I'd forgotten the character's name was Jaxxon. That's funny. Any connection to your username, Jax?

Actually just an odd coincidence.  :lol:

I always thought the bunny was out of the box thinking.  That and I think the comic book guys were thumbing noses at Lucas...I need to see if I can find that story.

Actually just an odd coincidence.  :lol:

I always thought the bunny was out of the box thinking.  That and I think the comic book guys were thumbing noses at Lucas...I need to see if I can find that story.

I had like the first 12 issues of that run. It was pretty horrid. You can get them fairly cheap, but I wouldn't bother. 

Forgive me if this is the wrong thread to post this, but...

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-lucas-apologizes-over-force-awakens-criticisms-20160101

George Lucas Apologizes Over 'Force Awakens' Criticisms

"I misspoke and used a very inappropriate analogy and for that I apologize," filmmaker says after calling Disney "white slavers"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/george-lucas-apologizes-over-force-awakens-criticisms-20160101#ixzz3w16RnnPo 
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

You have to wonder if George was drinking before that Charlie Rose interview. I imagine he's having some sellers regret at this point. He basically sold off a license to print money. Should've held out for 8 billion.

I seriously doubt it would have any affect at on all toy sales whoever's kid she is. Collectors wouldn't give  a damn, and nor would kids. You think Leia being Luke's sister had any effect on toy sales? 

Leia wasn't a Jedi in training, in fact, she was pretty useless overall except for arguing with Han (token romance complications) and saving Luke at the end of ESB. No big surprise her toys didn't sell.

And yeah, kids do care -- my daughter, for one, who is five years old. The fact that Rey is possibly Luke's daughter is, like, a big deal.

Leia wasn't a Jedi in training, in fact, she was pretty useless overall except for arguing with Han (token romance complications) and saving Luke at the end of ESB. No big surprise her toys didn't sell.

And yeah, kids do care -- my daughter, for one, who is five years old. The fact that Rey is possibly Luke's daughter is, like, a big deal.

I suspect the fact that Rey is a Jedi in training will have more an effect on toy sales than whether she's Luke daughter.

Well, none of the kids I know care to the extent that they wouldn't want a Rey toy just because she's not Luke's daughter. :) 

I would agree that Rey is a more compelling character in a general sense, but I think it goes deeper than that. For my dad's generation, "action figures" were dolls. I think there was a definite stigma in buying your male child a female "action figure". 

Having a crazy time with my phone, but on Lucas's comment, just inappropriate.

The actor who plays CP30 had a few choice words about Lucas not liking feedback from the actors, and said that Lucas didn't do things well as much as did what he wanted.

Another tidbit on who Rey might be:

:P

Having a crazy time with my phone, but on Lucas's comment, just inappropriate.

The actor who plays CP30 had a few choice words about Lucas not liking feedback from the actors, and said that Lucas didn't do things well as much as did what he wanted.

Another tidbit on who Rey might be:

But Luke learns the same trick by the RotJ. I don't think that's much of a clue really. 

I just wondered - didn't Chewie's life debt to Han technically pass on to Kylo Ren after Han's death? IIRC it works that way (though I can't really fault Chewie for ignoring that).

was thinking it's like the oresteia, wherein orestes is simultaneously under obligation to avenge the murder of his father (i.e., by killing his mother) and to avoid committing matricide.  the new trilogy is accordingly the chewbacceia.

was thinking it's like the oresteia, wherein orestes is simultaneously under obligation to avenge the murder of his father (i.e., by killing his mother) and to avoid committing matricide.  the new trilogy is accordingly the chewbacceia.

They could do Episode VIII from Chewbacca's perspective. He would talk in perfect English and all the other characters would communicate through unintelligible growls.

The Dark Horse stuff is geberally better. There is a more recent Marvel series by Jason Aaron that is supposed to be pretty good. I like his writing. 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_(Marvel_2015)

I'm out of comics in general,  though for fun I picked up a special that had the first three Darth Vader issues collected.  What I've seen of the main series looked good. Marvel put some top artists on these series.

Archived