Old People Forgetfullness

Jace, Extat

Half a fortune cookie has been sitting on my desk 6 inches from my keyboard for a couple of hours now. As a younger woman, no such thing would have been allowed to exist, let alone tolerated. Maybe it's because I'm basically a full grown-adult, but when I was in my mid-early 20's 1/2 of a fortune cookie would not have survived the minute. I've been noticing this more and more since I turned 30, and I wonder if it's just an old-people thing.

What about you guys, those little things which slip your mind but would never have earlier in your life?

Its not 'an old people thing'.  Its called complacency.  In the big scheme of life, little things like that don't really matter until they reach critical overload and you just can't stand it anymore.

Misplacing something at that age (an age I will actually be in a couple of years) is certainly nothing out of the ordinary. Just consider the prospect of real old age when our bodies will likely betray us. I've seen it in the case of Alzheimers/dementia and infirmity in some of my relatives (thankfully, the one with Alzheimers is not actually biologically related to me, so I should be clear on that front. The thought of going through something similar terrifies me.

Archived