NBA Season 2015/16 - Currying Favor

Relic

Its Big Ben Wallace (4 time Defensive Player of the Year) night at the Palace as they are raising Bens jersey to the rafters at halftime. Larry Brown, Chauncey Billups, Rasheed Wallace, Tayshaun Prince, Rip Hamilton all his buddies from the 04 Championship and many of  the Bad Boys from the Isiah era Championships are all here. 

The crowd is frikn electrified, the players are feeling the vibe too must be, cause there up 65-49 at the half on Golden State and we all know that takes quite an effort against a team like the Warriors

There she goes......I'm watching it (#3) rise to the rafters now. Thank You Big Ben we still LuvsYa man!

Pistons able to hold on and slay the beast, beating the Warriors by 18 on a charged night at the Palace. Good all around team effort, I think battling the Spurs a few nights before was a good primer for the type of effort they needed and they delivered.

Halfway through the season and GS is on pace for 74 wins. I'm feeling a little better about Bulls maintaining their record but you never know.  Meanwhile, this year's Bulls continue their bipolar ways. I don't know what team is gonna show up on any given day. 

Anyone want to post their pick for the no. 8 spot in the West?

Doesn't seem like anyone wants it.

The Lakers and T-Wolves are out, just too bad. Same for Phoenix now that Bledsoe's gone. Completely out of contention these 3.

Leaves us with Denver, Utah, Portland, New Orleans and Sacramento.

This should be Sacramento's year, there is so little competion and they still have Cousins, Gay.

Portland is a weird team that isn't going to make it, just not enough class.

New Orleans should be doing better even with the injuries they've had. They've lost a remarkabe amount of games already.

Denver, like Portland, just not enough there, two or three good players and that's it. Young guys that still need time to develop ( Mudiay, Jokic, the Bosnian center)

Utah is just very average in every way. Will that be enough? I think it'll be either the Kings or the Pelicans. Though Denver might do something after all.

1 hour ago, ebevan91 said:

Championship should just be Golden State vs. San Antonio. Screw the Eastern conference.

It is nuts what these two teams are doing. Golden State had a historically great +10.1 point differential last year.

This year they're at +11.7. And the Spurs? +14.2. I don't even know what to do with that number. They're on pace to be the 2 best teams of the last 20 years. I know Manhole said the first Warriors-Spurs game is coming up in like a week or something but whenever it is it's not soon enough. 

3 hours ago, ebevan91 said:

Championship should just be Golden State vs. San Antonio. Screw the Eastern conference.

This may surprise you, but going back to 1950 you will find that only 33 of the last 66 NBA Championships have been won by the team with the regular seasons best record.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_champions

So that's half the time the best reg. season team comes up short. Definately need to play the games to find the Champ. It aint no coronation.

8 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

This may surprise you, but going back to 1950 you will find that only 33 of the last 66 NBA Championships have been won by the team with the regular seasons best record.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_champions

So that's half the time the best reg. season team comes up short. Definately need to play the games to find the Champ. It aint no coronation.

Half is pretty good. I'm actually surprised its that many, seeing as best record may be only by a couple of games.

I'm really impressed by the amount of top seeds that make it to the finals. Guess seeding and home court helps a lot.

Edit - Just saw what your post was in response to. I think it may be better to just have each team play each other once and take top 16 teams for playoffs. The extra divisional games can be changed to a group stage for a single elimination cup.

10 hours ago, Jaime L said:

It is nuts what these two teams are doing. Golden State had a historically great +10.1 point differential last year.

This year they're at +11.7. And the Spurs? +14.2. I don't even know what to do with that number. They're on pace to be the 2 best teams of the last 20 years. I know Manhole said the first Warriors-Spurs game is coming up in like a week or something but whenever it is it's not soon enough.

Jan 25, 10:30est

Cleganebowl levels of hype!

17 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Half is pretty good. I'm actually surprised its that many, seeing as best record may be only by a couple of games.

I'm really impressed by the amount of top seeds that make it to the finals. Guess seeding and home court helps a lot.

I'm not at all sure that seeding and home court are what is doing it, I think it's just that in a best of 7 playoff series, the better team wins most of the time, and there is a good correlation between the best regular season and postseason teams.

The surprising thing to me is that there aren't more cases where the team with the best record is just the result of being from a weaker conference, like like 2009 and 2010 Cavaliers, who had the best record in the NBA by virtue of dominating weak Eastern conference competition.  In years where the two conferences are relatively equal in strength (such as this year), this is not an issue. 

11 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm not at all sure that seeding and home court are what is doing it, I think it's just that in a best of 7 playoff series, the better team wins most of the time, and there is a good correlation between the best regular season and postseason teams.

The surprising thing to me is that there aren't more cases where the team with the best record is just the result of being from a weaker conference, like like 2009 and 2010 Cavaliers, who had the best record in the NBA by virtue of dominating weak Eastern conference competition.  In years where the two conferences are relatively equal in strength (such as this year), this is not an issue. 

Shrug, I'm not putting in the effort to finding out their exact records, but I just assumed that the best record is not actually that much better than second best record. I just assume it will be closer to a one win lead than five or ten.

Edit - What I am trying to express is that the team with the best record may not actually be substantially better and the next best may be just as good. Therefore, home court + seeding = difference.

Here are 10 great teams that failed to win the Championship.

http://www.booshsports.com/top10greatestnbateamswhofailedtowinachampionship/

All of them having 60 or more regular season wins except one of the Lakers teams. This year we will add at least one more team to the list as we know S.A. and GS cannot both win the title. 

8 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Here are 10 great teams that failed to win the Championship.

http://www.booshsports.com/top10greatestnbateamswhofailedtowinachampionship/

All of them having 60 or more regular season wins except one of the Lakers teams. This year we will add at least one more team to the list as we know S.A. and GS cannot both win the title. 

That's an interesting list of teams.  I also like that an error likely occured and has the pictures swapped from the 68 Lakers and 85 Lakers and then also the 84 Celtics and 72 Celtics.  I stared at the 85 Lakers picture for a good while trying to figure out where Magic and Kareem were.

Archived