NBA Season 2015/16 - Currying Favor

Relic

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Lebron admitting that he had his coach fired is a story that wouldn't go away. It would follow the team all season, and his team mates would be asked about it constantly. If it's just a matter of Blatt getting fired without LeBron being involved, the goes away in a couple of weeks, unless the team starts shitting up the court. 

30 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Lulz. Yeah, I know this is nit-picky on my part, but do you think LeBron is doing his team any favors by forcing Blatt out? You're at the halfway mark of the season, and you're leading The East. You're probably the 3rd best team in the association. I would think there has to be a more constructive reaction to one bad loss than having your coach fired. (And I know this is an assumption on my part) 

The timing was definitely weird. I get they were upset about the Warriors loss but then they blew out the next two teams and THEN Blatt got fired. Lot of rumors that LBJ and co. wanted to bring in Mark Jackson and when that didn't work, they all settled on Tyronn Lue. So maybe they decided Blatt needed to go immediately after that Warriors game and then the "who will be the next coach" process  took a few days to play out

It's hard to make an honesty appraisal whether this was the right move or not because the situation was so effed to begin with. I mean, as an example, the Warriors fired their successful coach and reached the next level as a result. I don't expect Cleveland (or any team) to have that kind of jump. But the players (really LBJ and Love) were determined to make this a self-fulfilling prophecy. Blatt had to go because they'd decided to tune him out. Ergo, the coaching change suddenly becomes the "right" move because now there's a coach who will be able to get his message through, even if it's the exact same one as Blatt's. Hell Lue even admitted as much in his press conference. They're not going to do anything "different", they're just going to do all the same things "better". 

Like I said earlier upthread, I'm going to look for reasons to continue to not like LeBron. I realize this is kind of an extreme criticism, but I don't think he's doing his team any favors with this sort of "power-struggle" type crap. It was already determined who had the power in this relationship when he changed his coach's play call at the end of that Bulls/Cavs playoff game last season. 

55 minutes ago, sperry said:

Blatt was a failure and deserved to be fired, because he could not handle the superstar egos. That's the biggest part of the job in the NBA.

I dunno, i think he fails because of Love. Whether its because Love is highly over rated or because Blatt couldn't figure out how to integrate him into the team, it got him fired. 

40 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

At its' root, I think what bothers me most about this sort of thing is the "passing of the buck" perception that I get. Like this couldn't possibly be LeBron's fault, it has to be the coaching. I don't know. My dislike of him is not entirely rational.

All NBA superstars are difficult, aside from Tim Duncan and the young guys who haven't been in the league long enough to have their fame and egos consume them.  The egos have to be managed.  Pat Riley was able to juggle LeBron and DWade and Bosh in Miami.  There's no one to do that in Cleveland.

31 minutes ago, sperry said:

All NBA superstars are difficult, aside from Tim Duncan and the young guys who haven't been in the league long enough to have their fame and egos consume them.  The egos have to be managed.  Pat Riley was able to juggle LeBron and DWade and Bosh in Miami.  There's no one to do that in Cleveland.

Yeah, I get that too, and in LeBron's defense, Blatt doesn't exactly strike me as a guy who's prone to compromise. 

22 hours ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Great post above. I do hope the Knicks get someone to compliment KP.

Complimenting KP isn't the only thing we need to be worried about, but yeah. This is a pretty intriguing trade possibility -

The New York Knicks have spoken with the Atlanta Hawks about a potential trade for point guard Jeff Teague, league sources tell ESPN.com.   

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/63992/sources-knicks-talk-teague-trade-with-atl

15 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

At its' root, I think what bothers me most about this sort of thing is the "passing of the buck" perception that I get. Like this couldn't possibly be LeBron's fault, it has to be the coaching. I don't know. My dislike of him is not entirely rational.

I just don't see how that sort of "passing the buck" would even work for Lebron.  He knows the only thing that is going to help his reputation and legacy is more championships.  So he is doing whatever he thinks is neccesary to win more championships, whether that be pushing for Kevin Love or getting Blatt fired.  Any attempt by him to pass the buck on coaching problems makes no difference in solving his long term problem, which is that if he wants to be considered equal/better than guys like Duncan, Jordan, Magic, Kareem, etc, then two championships just isn't enough. 

10 hours ago, Bonesy said:

Dallas looks fired up tonight, even with Dirk sidelined.

I always enjoy stumbling on these Warriors posts as a time capsule from that one moment the game is competitive before the Warriors ultimately win by 20 as usual. :P

Of course the Spurs also beat the Rockets by 31. Warriors and Spurs continue to treat other Western Conference playoff teams like garbage.  

3 hours ago, Jaime L said:

I always enjoy stumbling on these Warriors posts as a time capsule from that one moment the game is competitive before the Warriors ultimately win by 20 as usual. :P

Of course the Spurs also beat the Rockets by 31. Warriors and Spurs continue to treat other Western Conference playoff teams like garbage. 

The Warriors treat everyone like they're garbage. In a 4 game period they beat the Spurs, Cavs and Bulls by 30+ each.

Just listened to the latest Simmons pod with Charles Barkley. Seems like Sir Charles and I are in agreement, the way to beat the Warriors is to pound them down low. We also agree that it is far too early to put Steph on the short list of "greatest ever". He ALSO seems to think the Thunder can beat the Warriors in a 7 game series. I think we might share a brain. 

7 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I just don't see how that sort of "passing the buck" would even work for Lebron.  He knows the only thing that is going to help his reputation and legacy is more championships.  So he is doing whatever he thinks is neccesary to win more championships, whether that be pushing for Kevin Love or getting Blatt fired.  Any attempt by him to pass the buck on coaching problems makes no difference in solving his long term problem, which is that if he wants to be considered equal/better than guys like Duncan, Jordan, Magic, Kareem, etc, then two championships just isn't enough. 

Yeah, that's part of the reason I have issue with it. On it's face though, it kind of looks like it was that sort of unconstructive, knee-jerk decision, in that it came after an embarrassing loss. I don't really have any idea of how talented a coach Tyronn Lue may or may not be, but I have a hard time believing that he's an upgrade from Blatt. I don't really see how any of this is helpful to LeBron or the Cavs.

8 hours ago, Relic said:

Just listened to the latest Simmons pod with Charles Barkley. Seems like Sir Charles and I are in agreement, the way to beat the Warriors is to pound them down low. We also agree that it is far too early to put Steph on the short list of "greatest ever". He ALSO seems to think the Thunder can beat the Warriors in a 7 game series. I think we might share a brain. 

I dig Sir Charles too, but his track record for underestimating the Warriors isn't exactly Nostradamus like...

Barkley%20Warriors_zpstbujhxba.jpg

Pat Riley chimes in on LeBron and Spo 

If LeBron James ever wanted Erik Spoelstra fired as coach while a member of the Heat, he never expressed that sentiment to team president Pat Riley.

"Not from him to me, ever," Riley said Thursday of James. 

Hope this settles that.

18 minutes ago, Relic said:

If LeBron James ever wanted Erik Spoelstra fired as coach while a member of the Heat, he never expressed that sentiment to team president Pat Riley.

Hope this settles that.

This is why I don't trust 'anonymous sources'. I knew it was bullshit.

16 minutes ago, Relic said:

Hope this settles that.

It always seemed as if LeBron tolerated Spoelstra, as the necessary man on the side who gave direction to everyone but him.

Did not respect him, but tolerated him. That is different with Blatt who from the moment I have watched them interact, it has always been awkward and a sense of mild dislike. Harder to tolerate for LeBron. I'm sure it was known by the GM how LeBron felt, but I would not think it suspicious if this ultimate decision was made just by the GM and LeBron was not asked how he felt.

17 hours ago, Relic said:

Cool, must listen to that as Barkley is always a laugh. Does he also offer a suggestion on how to curb their tremendous offense?

Archived