NBA Season 2015/16 - Currying Favor

Relic

7 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Okay so here's the 2016 East and West NBA All Star rosters- http://www.nba.com/allstar/2016/players/

Who (if anyone) do you feel got snubbed and whose place should they take?

Kobe obviously doesn't deserve his spot. I'd be fine replacing him with another ancient player who's far more deserving: Dirk.

Beyond that they're pretty reasonable. Looking at the two lineups, the West should just eviscerate the East. If you switch Kobe out for Draymond or Anthony Davis you have basically the perfect starting 5. I also think their bench 5 are better than any lineup the East can throw out. Unless of course Kobe takes 40 shots and makes 10...which is likely. 

12 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I dig Sir Charles too, but his track record for underestimating the Warriors isn't exactly Nostradamus like...

That shirt is hilarious. 

20 hours ago, Relic said:

Just listened to the latest Simmons pod with Charles Barkley. Seems like Sir Charles and I are in agreement, the way to beat the Warriors is to pound them down low. We also agree that it is far too early to put Steph on the short list of "greatest ever". He ALSO seems to think the Thunder can beat the Warriors in a 7 game series. I think we might share a brain. 

Who on the Thunder would be able to pound the Warriors down low? They only have Kanter for that,  but he would be absolutely destroyed on D if he is on the floor when Steph plays. He is a hilariously bad pick and roll defender.

12 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I dig Sir Charles too, but his track record for underestimating the Warriors isn't exactly Nostradamus like...

The thing that struck me as so weird about Barkley's prediction that the Warriors couldn't win in the playoffs was that a jump shooting team won the NBA Finals the previous year (and almost won 2013 too). 

NBA Finals

2014 Spurs: 11 three pointers/game.

2015 Warriors:  11.1 three pointers/game.

It's a pretty bold stance for Barkley to say that a jump shooting team cannot win the Finals when that is exactly what happened literally the year before. 

25 minutes ago, David Selig said:

Who on the Thunder would be able to pound the Warriors down low? They only have Kanter for that,  but he would be absolutely destroyed on D if he is on the floor when Steph plays. He is a hilariously bad pick and roll defender.

Well, i feel like Russ and KD could get into the paint at will against that team. If i were the Thunder id drive it into GOlden State's mouth every single possession using those two, along with Ibaka. 

34 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

That shirt is hilarious. 

It is, and Charles is a good sport to be wearing it. He's, by far, one of my favorite NBA personalities. The Round Mound of Rebound indeed. 

4 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

This is why I don't trust 'anonymous sources'. I knew it was bullshit.

Eh, I think a big part of that is that Riley is a force that is not to be trifled with. That guys rep outshines even LeBron's. I feel like having a GM like Riley is probably the sort of situation that best serves a guy like LeBron. Someone like that could either talk him out of the tree when he flips out, or if worse comes to worse just tell him to STFU.

42 minutes ago, Relic said:

It is, and Charles is a good sport to be wearing it. He's, by far, one of my favorite NBA personalities. The Round Mound of Rebound indeed. 

That's what I love about him primarily. #1, he's not afraid to run his mouth. #2, he owns up to his mistakes and has a great sense of humor regarding that.

12 minutes ago, brAnthelAstgreenseer said:

This year I think Lillard should have been an all star . After losing 4 out of your 5 starters and still stay competitive largely due to his contributions , he deserves a spot in the all-star game .

Agree with that 100%. That guy is carrying his team on his back nightly. I hate the Kobe sympathy vote. Honestly, I would think he'd be embarrassed by it more than anything else. On top of that, he's taking a spot away from someone like Lillard who has earned it.

1 hour ago, brAnthelAstgreenseer said:

This year I think Lillard should have been an all star . After losing 4 out of your 5 starters and still stay competitive largely due to his contributions , he deserves a spot in the all-star game .

Well enough to say he deserves it but whose spot should he take then?

9 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Well enough to say he deserves it but whose spot should he take then?

Kobe's, without a doubt. As Jaime L pointed out upthread, the Western starting lineup would be absolutely perfect were it not for Bryant pulling the "farewell tour" vote. Who wants to see this guy play at this point in his career? He's not playing at anywhere near an All-star level. If you want to honor the guy, give him some sort of lifetime award during the pregame festivities, or at the half. Show a highlight reel, cause that's the only way you're going to see an exciting level of play from that guy. 

That being said, I get that fan voting is an integral part of this game, so I guess you just have to live with these types of results.

How in the Hell does the NBA gerrymander the Pelicans into being a Western conference team anyways? Or the Grizzlies for that matter, no wonder theres a competitive imbalance?

Regarding the East team, does anyone think the Bulls Gasol would've been a good addition? On paper I agree the West looks vastly deeper and more athletic than the East. Maybe it will be a closer contest if the chemistries dont matchup well though? The Durant, Westbrook, Harden Thunder team failed to get a ring afterall, so it takes more than throwing a bunch of superstars together to win. With only one ball to shoot at a time, how those superstar parts fit together can be crucial.

Archived