NBA Season 2015/16 - Currying Favor

Relic

23 hours ago, Jaime L said:

I don't think so. Between Vivek bizarrely firing the coach Cousins actually loved, Mike Malone, and then bringing in a coach who immediately tried (and failed) to make a power play by trading Cousins...that relationship was DOA. Their relative early success this year just postponed the inevitable.

Anyway I agree with the larger point that Karl is getting fired due to the larger organizational dysfunction more than anything. But the guy made his own share of missteps, namely taking this job to begin with. 

I keep saying this and hoping for it but could the next offseason please be the one where Cousins is traded to a good team?

He'll be 26 by the time new season starts, now is the time to move on and be a phenomenon somewhere else. He's generally been excellent for the Kings this year but this is franchise he just needs to leave, in the Summer at the very latest. I like Boston as a destination for him, already a very solid tough as nails team that lacks a star player who scores 25 plus. That team would be a serious challenger to the Cavs.

Or maybe Portland. Lillard, McCollum and Cousins.

20 hours ago, Ramsay Blow said:

Butler out 3-4 weeks. Bulls are inching their way towards the .500 mark and will be safely under it by the time he comes back. Ah well, at least now I hopefully won't have to see Lebron beat us in the playoffs again...or they'll sneak in as the 8 seed. 

I've been watching the Bulls deteriorate the last few weeks. And it was never great to begin with, but it's getting worse and worse. 

I don't believe they will miss the playoffs but there is a lot of teams close to 0.500 in the East and they cannot afford to drop too many games without Butler. This is clearly going to be a challenge for them with Butler out.

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I keep saying this and hoping for it but could the next offseason please be the one where Cousins is traded to a good team?

He'll be 26 by the time new season starts, now is the time to move on and be a phenomenon somewhere else. He's generally been excellent for the Kings this year but this is franchise he just needs to leave, in the Summer at the very latest. I like Boston as a destination for him, already a very solid tough as nails team that lacks a star player who scores 25 plus. That team would be a serious challenger to the Cavs.

Or maybe Portland. Lillard, McCollum and Cousins.

I'd love to see him somewhere else. (Hell I'd love to see the Kings somewhere else, like Seattle). The whole franchise is hopelessly backwards at this point. And I don't see a lot of hope for making things better in the short term. 

It's just tough for them to give up their only superstar when there's no guarantee of how they'll get another one. But gotta do something to shake things up IMO. Boston can offer a bunch of pretty good players and more importantly draft picks so can see that making sense for both sides. Boston's needed to make a 3 for 1 deal forever. That team exists exclusively to facilitate a blockbuster trade. Make it happen NBA.

Wizards maybe should also consider revisiting Beal + ??? for Cousins as hope for getting KD slowly dies. Really want to see Wall play with a superstar and their friendship and complimentary abilities are the best hope for keeping Cousins sane going forward. But at the same time, the league is becoming more perimeter oriented and Golden State's a pretty good case study for why cashing in talented young players for a superstar isn't always ideal. It's a moot point besides until KD decides what he's gonna do. 

6 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I've been watching the Bulls deteriorate the last few weeks. And it was never great to begin with, but it's getting worse and worse. 

I don't believe they will miss the playoffs but there is a lot of teams close to 0.500 in the East and they cannot afford to drop too many games without Butler. This is clearly going to be a challenge for them with Butler out.

Last weekend was bad. Blowing a 16-point 4th quarter lead at Nuggets, then Wolves go on a 12-0 run to end the game and win the next night.  Also besides their offensive inconsistencies, not having Noah and Butler on the defensive end is pretty devastating. I wouldn't be surprised if this season totally gets away from them, this team has lots of holes while healthy.

I have not followed Chicago closely.  Does Hoiberg regret leaving ISU?  Or are the Bulls issues something totally unrelated to coaching?  Is it something that an off season can hit the reset button on?

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

I have not followed Chicago closely.  Does Hoiberg regret leaving ISU?  Or are the Bulls issues something totally unrelated to coaching?  Is it something that an off season can hit the reset button on?

They just aren't very talented. You have a lot of names and big salaries that aren't big time players anymore.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

They are somehow remarkably less good than they seem to be.

Of course there are injuries in play. Noah has been out for a good while, but even when he was fit and playing he is not as good as he was, for whatever reason, and fell out of the starting rotation even when not injured. Mirotic is now injured. When he played he had great games and disappointing ones. You can see that he could be a great forward if in theory though.

Rose has been depressing, with admittedly the occasional great game amidst a whole slew of average ones.

Butler and Gasol have generally been very good and the two best players. Hoiberg is clearly struggling finding the right rotation, dealing with injuries, the fact that Rose is not who he was but is still your starting point guard. IMO it is a team that could still be a (very) dangerous playoffs opponent if things fall the right way and they are fit, but first they need to actually make the playoffs.

20 hours ago, Jaime L said:

It's just tough for them to give up their only superstar when there's no guarantee of how they'll get another one. But gotta do something to shake things up IMO. Boston can offer a bunch of pretty good players and more importantly draft picks so can see that making sense for both sides. Boston's needed to make a 3 for 1 deal forever. That team exists exclusively to facilitate a blockbuster trade. Make it happen NBA.

Wizards maybe should also consider revisiting Beal + ??? for Cousins as hope for getting KD slowly dies. Really want to see Wall play with a superstar and their friendship and complimentary abilities are the best hope for keeping Cousins sane going forward. But at the same time, the league is becoming more perimeter oriented and Golden State's a pretty good case study for why cashing in talented young players for a superstar isn't always ideal. It's a moot point besides until KD decides what he's gonna do. 

The Kings just aren't going to give him up. That is something that Cousins will have to force, and he hasn't done that so far, and that is why he's till there wasting time.

Wall and Cousins would be great as well, just like he'd be with Lillard or @ Boston. Wall is clearly a superb player himself and they would share their prime together.

KAT had a monster game last night. 35 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks. His offensive game is a lot better than I expected it to be at this point. He's going to be scary when he gets some muscle on him.

Wiggins was huge in the 4th, scoring 13 of his 26 and bringing the Wolves back from a double digit deficit. He still does this annoying thing where he stands around a lot in the middle of the game, but I get the feeling he's saving his energy for the end. Who knows.

And hey, the coach finally used a smart starting line up. The one everyone has been begging him to try. Can I say that Mitchell is the worst coach in the NBA now that Fisher has been fired?

5 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Mirotic is now injured. When he played he had great games and disappointing ones. You can see that he could be a great forward if in theory though.

Butler and Gasol have generally been very good and the two best players. Hoiberg is clearly struggling finding the right rotation, dealing with injuries, the fact that Rose is not who he was but is still your starting point guard. IMO it is a team that could still be a (very) dangerous playoffs opponent if things fall the right way and they are fit, but first they need to actually make the playoffs.

Mirotic is so damn erratic, his decision-making and shot selection need serious improvement. He kind of sums up the Bulls as a whole.

Hoiberg will get a pass this year but I think you're dead on when you say he hasn't found the right rotation even before this injury bug hit. It's like this team doesn't have an identity too. With Thibs it was about defense and now they're trying to find something.

Also, Bulls are 9-3 against the top 7 teams in the NBA with 2 of those losses coming against GS. :dunno:

Interesting stuff in the western playoffs race. 

Houston now outside the top 8 after yet another loss, this time against Portland in which a supreme Lillard led his team to victory despite strong games from Harden and Howard. Meyers Leonard also playing well btw. Utah is 0.500 as is Portland, the Kings are down a few games but not completely out yet with Cousins in the team. Dallas is only 1.5 game ahead and while Memphis is 4.5 games ahead they have just lost Gasol and could go down hard.

On February 11, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Tywin et al. said:

KAT had a monster game last night. 35 points, 11 rebounds and 3 blocks. His offensive game is a lot better than I expected it to be at this point. He's going to be scary when he gets some muscle on him.

Wiggins was huge in the 4th, scoring 13 of his 26 and bringing the Wolves back from a double digit deficit. He still does this annoying thing where he stands around a lot in the middle of the game, but I get the feeling he's saving his energy for the end. Who knows.

And hey, the coach finally used a smart starting line up. The one everyone has been begging him to try. Can I say that Mitchell is the worst coach in the NBA now that Fisher has been fired?

Windhorst said that the TWolves job is the most desirable of the likely openings at this point.  You have two legit potential superstars whose combined age might not even be 40 yet and a solid cast of supporting players around them.

As more damnation for LeBron the GM, can you imagine how much worse this team would be if you replaced Wiggins with Love?!!?

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

The Gordon one where his ass went over the mascot and the ball under him was likely the best dunk I've ever seen.

To me it's still VC's reverse 360 or 180 or whatever that was. There was so much hype coming into that contest, and he just blew everyone away the second he stepped onto that floor. Gordon's is easily top 5 though. 

I also like this contest overall better than 2000. 

1 hour ago, Jabronius Maximus said:

To me it's still VC's reverse 360 or 180 or whatever that was. There was so much hype coming into that contest, and he just blew everyone away the second he stepped onto that floor. Gordon's is easily top 5 though. 

I also like this contest overall better than 2000. 

I still hold VC's single performance as #1 but this battle was incredible. I usually hate prop-like gimmick dunks and kind of rolled my eyes when the mascot came out on the hoverboard but Gordon showed me what's up. The way Gordon scooped the ball on the first one and just the difficulty of it and how high he got on the next one was just nuts. 

Archived