The Kight of the Laughing Tree was Eddard

Floki of the Ironborn

Re-reading the scenario and judging the positive and negative sides of each theory, it seems like Eddard is the obvious candidate without any real reason to dispute it other than maybe his height during adolescence.

He has the training to beat those three knights, he has the motivation to defend his bannerman's honour, he befriends Howland and gives him a place to sleep so he can hear the crannogman's prayer, and he has the voice which can sound convincingly adult.

Yes, not much is made about his height other than that he is shorter than Brandon but growth spurts happen. Robb is referred to as being shorter than Ice but is later called tall by Catelyn several times.

And apparently some people dispute the idea that such a serious man as Ned would carry the image of a laughing tree on his shield. Why not? It's a symbol of his gods, and it's a great disguise to hide behind. Who would associate Ned Stark with laughter? Not even Robert Baratheon sees through the disguise so it clearly worked.

He put laughing face there because the girl he desired had a pair of beautiful violet laughing eyes. There was only one maid who was related to laughing eyes or laughter several times in this book, that is ashara dayne. His first love. 

But I always thought it may also be howland reed who was warged by bran to fulfil his "one day knight" dream. 

Why would Ned hide his identity?

Answer, he wouldn't. He has no reason to, and on top of that his "honor" would not be keen to hiding his identity to join a tournament.

What is the point of the Knight of the Laughing Tree if Ned is TKoLT?

Answer, None. The whole point of Lyanna being TKotLT is that is how she is introduced to Rhaegar as something other than just another Lord's Daughter.

Why does Bran not know the story of TKotLT if it was Ned?

Answer, the reason Ned does not speak of the story is the same reason he never brings up Lyanna anywhere but his thoughts. He does not want to bring attention to her story (or the outcome of her actions = Jon)

Ned Stark (along with any other male of the aristocracy) was entitled to enter the tournament openly, using his own name. He had no need to disguise himself to fight in it.

He also would have had a complete set of armor, which would have fitted him properly.

A female, however, would not have been allowed to enter the tournament as herself. She also would not have owned a set of armor and would have needed to scrounge about for mis-matched and ill-fitting armor, which is what is described in the story.

From the little we know of Lyanna Stark's character, it isn't necessary for her to overhear Howland's prayer in order to take it upon herself to teach those knights a lesson in good manners and proper knighthood. It seems like something she would do anyway (just like she did when she drove off the bullying squires herself, rather than call for assistance).

I just don't buy that Lyanna would have beaten those squires. I mean...beautiful, feisty, smart, and able to beat trained squires at jousting? Not to mention she had Robert and Rhaegar in love with her? Sounds ridiculous to me. Makes her a totally unrelatable and almost Mary-Sue-ish character. I hope GRRM reveals the KotLT's identity at some point, though. It'll be interesting to see if it really is Lyanna, or if it's Ned/Howland/whoever. I'm not sure who it is - I just don't believe it's Lyanna.

I just don't buy that Lyanna would have beaten those squires. I mean...beautiful, feisty, smart, and able to beat trained squires at jousting? Not to mention she had Robert and Rhaegar in love with her? Sounds ridiculous to me. Makes her a totally unrelatable and almost Mary-Sue-ish character. I hope GRRM reveals the KotLT's identity at some point, though. It'll be interesting to see if it really is Lyanna, or if it's Ned/Howland/whoever. I'm not sure who it is - I just don't believe it's Lyanna.

While GRRM is rightly recognized for including gritty reality in his series of fantasy novels, they still are fantasy novels. The KotLT story has classic fantasy elements; it's very much resembles a fairy tale, actually (not a fairy tale in the sense of "not true", I mean). I'm not sure looking at it from the point of "could this happen in real life" is the most useful way of seeing it.

Can Eddard really enter the jousts under his own name? I think I've read somewhere that there were no knights in the North and the Starks were not such. In this case, can they challenge men who were officially knighted, or can they only partake in the melees?

But the "no knight in the North" doesn't explain Jorah Mormont. He's Ser Jorah? He certainly participated and won a tourney. Were the Mormonts followers of the old gods?

It is entirely possible Eddard was the KOTLT.  Other potential candidate's include Lyanna, Ashara, Benjen, Howland, Sandor, Petyr, (THE REAL LONG SHOTS) and maybe half a dozen others.  Just because you have concluded it wasn't one of them 1) doesn't make it true and 2) doesn't disprove it is the others.

Can Eddard really enter the jousts under his own name? I think I've read somewhere that there were no knights in the North and the Starks were not such. In this case, can they challenge men who were officially knighted, or can they only partake in the melees?

But the "no knight in the North" doesn't explain Jorah Mormont. He's Ser Jorah? He certainly participated and won a tourney. Were the Mormonts followers of the old gods?

jorah was knighted at the greyjoy rebellion due to his deeds. That is in the south I guess.  

Why would Ned hide his identity?

Answer, he wouldn't. He has no reason to, and on top of that his "honor" would not be keen to hiding his identity to join a tournament.

What is the point of the Knight of the Laughing Tree if Ned is TKoLT?

Answer, None. The whole point of Lyanna being TKotLT is that is how she is introduced to Rhaegar as something other than just another Lord's Daughter.

Why does Bran not know the story of TKotLT if it was Ned?

Answer, the reason Ned does not speak of the story is the same reason he never brings up Lyanna anywhere but his thoughts. He does not want to bring attention to her story (or the outcome of her actions = Jon)

My one question is why would Howland be so loyal to Ned if he hadn't gone out of his way to do right by him, even when it wouldn't have benefited Ned at all. But on the other hand, a good explanation to that would be that Howland is just loyal to House Stark, and Lyanna being the KotLT just made him all the more devoted.

And while you raise good points, Viserys, the fact that Eddard doesn't talk about the whole event doesn't necessarily confirm Lyanna being the KotLT. It could just mean he wants to keep his role in that secret, or he's just sensitive about any memories of Lyanna.

It's all still ambiguous, but of all the candidates presented, Lyanna or Eddard make the most sense as far as I'm concerned.

While GRRM is rightly recognized for including gritty reality in his series of fantasy novels, they still are fantasy novels. The KotLT story has classic fantasy elements; it's very much resembles a fairy tale, actually (not a fairy tale in the sense of "not true", I mean). I'm not sure looking at it from the point of "could this happen in real life" is the most useful way of seeing it.

I have no problem with lyanna knowing how to joust. 

But it is hard to believe she is very confident that she can surely defeat three adult and trained knights Who she never fought with before. 

What if she lose to one of them? 

If she fails by even once, she will be disclosed and brought trouble and shame to her house. 

No matter it is howland or lyanna, somebody indeed helped them, I think this is bran, the heart tree itself. 

Nobody can be more fit For a heart tree knight than bran. 

I have no problem with lyanna knowing how to joust. 

But it is hard to believe she is very confident that she can surely defeat three adult and trained knights Who she never fought with before. 

What if she lose to one of them? 

If she fails by even once, she will be disclosed and brought trouble and shame to her house. 

No matter it is howland or lyanna, somebody indeed helped them, I think this is bran, the heart tree itself. 

Nobody can be more fit For a heart tree knight than bran. 

The first time you mentioned Bran I thought you meant Brandon, Ned's brother (oh, those names) But you actually mean ("little") Bran, the greenseer/warg, from the future, warged Howland in the past 

This is getting complicated. 

It must be one of the Starks, no? This explains Howland's loyalty to them and Meera's surprise to the fact Ned never told the story to Bran. I always thought it was Lyanna or Benjen. 

The first time you mentioned Bran I thought you meant Brandon, Ned's brother (oh, those names) But you actually mean ("little") Bran, the greenseer/warg, from the future, warged Howland in the past 

This is getting complicated. 

It must be one of the Starks, no? This explains Howland's loyalty to them and Meera's surprise to the fact Ned never told the story to Bran. I always thought it was Lyanna or Benjen. 

Yes. the "heart tree" god little bran. 

Maybe not Warg, just some magic power to give howland strength and bravery. 

Lyanna does fit, maybe this is her. 

But still, I think old gods played through bran to make sure they can win. 

On each and every of these threads, I always remind people of Dernhelm :)

the words about booming voice does look similar.

However, eywon also worked with a little hobbit man. Together they made the final victory. 

I think lyanna was surely involved, maybe she is the knight. but howland must also played there, he is not just an observer.

What is the ability of howland? Magic from old gods. Talk with trees. And bran is right there. 

I just don't buy that Lyanna would have beaten those squires. I mean...beautiful, feisty, smart, and able to beat trained squires at jousting? Not to mention she had Robert and Rhaegar in love with her? Sounds ridiculous to me. Makes her a totally unrelatable and almost Mary-Sue-ish character.

And so was Baelor Breakspear, so Lyanna would hardly be the only Mary Sue out there.

So, the tourney would be open only to anointed knights and... completely anonymous dudes under fake sigils?

Also, since Brandon Stark competed in the same tourney, I see no reason why Eddard Stark could not. In the so-called Hand's Tourney, at least Jory Cassel, Thoros of Myr and Lothor Brune weren't knighted, yet took their chances in the joust (Brune earned his ser a year later). So "knights only" certainly isn't a general rule.

Benjen had nothing to fear if he was unmasked. The only person who absolutely could not afford to be unmasked was Lyanna.

On each and every of these threads, I always remind people of Dernhelm :)

And Elia Sand says hello :-)

She who is called Lady Lance. Why did GRRM give her this hobby, I wonder?

the words about booming voice does look similar.

However, eywon also worked with a little hobbit man. Together they made the final victory. 

I think lyanna was surely involved, maybe she is the knight. but howland must also played there, he is not just an observer.

What is the ability of howland? Magic from old gods. Talk with trees. And bran is right there. 

The words Martin used to describe KotLT are practically the same as Tolkien used to describe Dernhelm. Howland and Merry are the ones left behind, who wants to do great deeds, but are limited by their stature.

And Elia Sand says hello :-)

She who is called Lady Lance. Why did GRRM give her this hobby, I wonder?

I think I am missing the point :)

I think I am missing the point :)

Merely pointing out yet another female to support the case of Lyanna as KotLT - one possessing the necessary skill, despite being a teenage girl :-)

Archived