The Kight of the Laughing Tree was Eddard

Floki of the Ironborn

still no one addressing how Lyanna beat 3 grown KNIGHTS

I've always stated its Lyanna or Ned, no doubt one of those two, but I find it slightly more difficult to buy-in to Lyanna being KotLT.  Ned makes more sense to me

Two possible reasons for her to beat three grown, well-trained knights who in fact won for a couple of days in tourney already. 

1. GRRM needs her to beat them. so she beats them. No reason given. GRRM simply needs to give Rhaegar a reason to notice her and fall in love and then crown her. 

2. Bran (son of Ned) helped her through some magic, to make sure she won. 

Two possible reasons for her to beat three grown, well-trained knights who in fact won for a couple of days in tourney already. 

1. GRRM needs her to beat them. so she beats them. No reason given. GRRM simply needs to give Rhaegar a reason to notice her and fall in love and then crown her. 

2. Bran (son of Ned) helped her through some magic, to make sure she won. 

1.  this is true.  she still totally involved in the story.  If Ned was KotLT it still gives Rhaegar a reason to notice Lyanna, if investigates, discovers it was a Stark, goes to discuss it with them, Lyanna is all hot head and standing up to Rhaegar, and boom he takes notice...or some variation of this

2. thats a possibility I wont rule out

Lyanna still kept practising her martial skills in secret though - she was literally practising with her wooden sword when she saw the three squires attacking Howland Reed.

It was a tourney sword, I don't think they are wooden - but your observation is still a good one because she wasn't supposed to be carrying a sword.

For some people Jaime's comment is enough.

ADWD p.430, Roose Bolton:

"Redfort said he (Domeric) showed great promise in the lists. A great jouster must be a great horseman first.",

ADWD p. 392, Wyman Manderly:
"As a young man I handled a mount well enough to win some small acclaim in the lists"

And that's just ADWD.

They just ignore all the other good horsemen that end up sucking at jousting.

Oh, come on.

And they ignore that Jon himself admits Robb is a better jouster even though Jon is a better horseman.

Incorrect:

“Robb is a stronger lance than I am, but I’m the better sword, and Hullen says I sit a horse as well as anyone in the castle.”

The same way as Loras, a slender boy of sixteen, unhorsed three KG in three rounds, and even Jaime Lannister himself.

I've always stated its Lyanna or Ned, no doubt one of those two, but I find it slightly more difficult to buy-in to Lyanna being KotLT.  Ned makes more sense to me

He might make more sense in RL, but in GRRMth, things seem to work a bit differently.

Besides, Ned was not uncommonly short, and if, for some reason I cannot fathom, he didn't want to wear his own armour, he could easily borrow one from any man of average height, instead of wearing mismatched pieces.

"Redfort said he (Domeric) showed great promise in the lists. A great jouster must be a great horseman first.",

"As a young man I handled a mount well enough to win some small acclaim in the lists"

And that's just ADWD.

Oh, come on.

Incorrect:

“Robb is a stronger lance than I am, but I’m the better sword, and Hullen says I sit a horse as well as anyone in the castle.”

The same way as Loras, a slender boy of sixteen, unhorsed three KG in three rounds, and even Jaime Lannister himself.

He might make more sense in RL, but in GRRMth, things seem to work a bit differently.

Besides, Ned was not uncommonly short, and if, for some reason I cannot fathom, he didn't want to wear his own armour, he could easily borrow one from any man of average height, instead of wearing mismatched pieces.

Plot-wise it is very likely to be Lyanna. 

nobody tried to persuade you she can not be the one. 

I think more people are pointing at that it is not very reasonable for her to fulfil this even if she is a good rider.

It is just GRRM needs to make it happen, so it happens. Or Bran got some magic here to help her. 

IMHO, Based on how much Old gods and isles of faces Meera and Bran talked during this KOLT story, I highly doubt Bran did not play something in it. If it is just a simple Lyanna story, it does not need so much old gods stuff. 

Maybe Bran warged the horses of the three knights, and helped Lyanna win?

This might sound a little presumptuous but I think it's pretty obvious that it's Lyanna. TWoIaF pretty much cleared that up, I thought. 

You mean APP right?

Maybe a little bit off topic, but I am wondering how true this APP is. 

I saw quite some differences there from what we read from the books. 

Who wrote these APP entry? GRRM?

Plot-wise it is very likely to be Lyanna. 

nobody tried to persuade you she can not be the one. 

I think more people are pointing at that it is not very reasonable for her to fulfil this even if she is a good rider.

It is just GRRM needs to make it happen, so it happens. Or Bran got some magic here to help her. 

IMHO, Based on how much Old gods and isles of faces Meera and Bran talked during this KOLT story, I highly doubt Bran did not play something in it. If it is just a simple Lyanna story, it does not need so much old gods stuff. 

Maybe Bran warged the horses of the three knights, and helped Lyanna win?

The poster I was responding to dismisses the option completely, so that's why.

I think that the Isle of Faces plays some role in the Lyanna story, though it is not possible to determine which as of now. 

The poster I was responding to dismisses the option completely, so that's why.

I think that the Isle of Faces plays some role in the Lyanna story, though it is not possible to determine which as of now. 

Oh, I know you are hinting that R and L got married in the isle of faces. 

No, it is not true. 

And that's just ADWD.

He rested for a while to let the horse graze. She did not wander far. That was good. Hobbled with a bad leg, he could never have caught her. It was all he could do to force himself back to his feet and climb onto her back. How did I ever mount her before, without saddle or stirrups, and a sword in one hand? That was another question he could not answer. - Jon ASOS

Oh, I know you are hinting that R and L got married in the isle of faces. 

No, it is not true. 

George? That you?

My god man why are you here and not finishing the next book!!

But seriously, massive pet peeve of mine is talking in abdolutes and certainties.

Unless you on the phone to G-Man, super annoying. Nothing can be known certainly until the last page of A Dream of Spring. (by the way if you are on the phone, can you please ask him what was in the letter to Aegon I from Dorne?? Driving me nuts!)

Also, if I remember correctly (don't have le books on me I'm afraid, it's on the bookshelf and I'm on the fluffy couch)

Didn't Bloodraven specifically tell Bran that he can look backwards, but he can't change anything?

If that's not the case, why Bloodraven didn't save his entire family using these powers is beyond me.

I will find the quote if people insist... But I would like to reiterate how fluffy this couch is.....

Like SOO much fluffiness up in this bitch.

George? That you?

My god man why are you here and not finishing the next book!!

But seriously, massive pet peeve of mine is talking in abdolutes and certainties.

Unless you on the phone to G-Man, super annoying. Nothing can be known certainly until the last page of A Dream of Spring. (by the way if you are on the phone, can you please ask him what was in the letter to Aegon I from Dorne?? Driving me nuts!)

Also, if I remember correctly (don't have le books on me I'm afraid, it's on the bookshelf and I'm on the fluffy couch)

Didn't Bloodraven specifically tell Bran that he can look backwards, but he can't change anything?

If that's not the case, why Bloodraven didn't save his entire family using these powers is beyond me.

I will find the quote if people insist... But I would like to reiterate how fluffy this couch is.....

Like SOO much fluffiness up in this bitch.

sort of hard to understand your words......

But I think I was just sarcastic towards Ygrain because I know she is a firm believer of that marriage. 

It may happen it may not happen, nothing is sure like you said. 

And also just like you said, Bloodraven may also be right, may also be wrong. 

He said many things to Bran, but in fact Bran seems much more powerful than him. 

sort of hard to understand your words......

But I think I was just sarcastic towards Ygrain because I know she is a firm believer of that marriage. 

It may happen it may not happen, nothing is sure like you said. 

And also just like you said, Bloodraven may also be right, may also be wrong. 

He said many things to Bran, but in fact Bran seems much more powerful than him. 

Nope that was to you.

'No it is not true' - your previous response.

Say hi to George for me!

My bad purple-eyes, I mis-read your response to me.

...because, the marriage is the only thing that could have taken place on the Isle of Faces :rolleyes:

No-one could have received some essential info or prophecy there, no-one could have hidden there under everyone's nose just like Bael did with the Stark maiden... right? And, yes, weirwood marriage, potentially.

What I meant was, GRRM invented the Isle of Faces for a reason, and located it near HH where the Rhaegar-Lyanna stuff happened for a reason, as well. There is some connection, it may be the marriage, it may be something else. Not enough clues to tell just now.

...because, the marriage is the only thing that could have taken place on the Isle of Faces :rolleyes:

No-one could have received some essential info or prophecy there, no-one could have hidden there under everyone's nose just like Bael did with the Stark maiden... right? And, yes, weirwood marriage, potentially.

What I meant was, GRRM invented the Isle of Faces for a reason, and located it near HH where the Rhaegar-Lyanna stuff happened for a reason, as well. There is some connection, it may be the marriage, it may be something else. Not enough clues to tell just now.

I am pretty sure the isle and green men were created several thousands of years ago to guard the pact or whatever secret between children and first men, not created to give Rhaegar and Lyanna a cheap place to make a polygamy marriage. 

If this can work, daemon and Nettles already had a polygamy marriage there. 

I am pretty sure the isle and green men were created several thousands of years ago to guard the pact or whatever secret between children and first men, not created to give Rhaegar and Lyanna a cheap place to make a polygamy marriage. 

Not getting the point, as usually.

Firstly this is a fantasy tale. Heroic feats happen in this world. Barristan can single handedly rescue the Mad King from the dungeon of a castle in a beseiged town.

Secondly, the mystery knight was slight - not just short but thin also. This present a smaller target for their opponent. They do not need to unhorse them, simply hitting your opponent scores a point, breaking a lance scores more points.  A young nimble person with excellent horse skills who is already a small target can feasibly dodge a lance and avoid being hit at all. So Lyanna can score a point by hitting an opponent and avoid being hit at all and win. This is well within the "willing suspension of disbelief" threshold that all fiction relies on. So if you disbelieve that Lyanna could do this then you are unwilling to suspend your disbelief for some reason.

And then there is the fact that all the other candidates have much issues against them being the mystery knight.

Ned - Not slight, no reason to hide his identity, no real narrative logic.
Howland - self confessed lack of the required skill. Is short but might not be slight, no reason to hide his identity, no real narrative logic.
Benjen - too young, no mention of riding or martial skills at that time, no real narrative logic.

The story itself is really about Benjen, Lyanna and Howland. All other characters have cameo roles. Of these only Lyanna has the riding skill, the bravery, the narrative logic supporting her.

If Loras Tyrell, a slender boy of sixteen, can be one of the best jousters in the world, then Lyanna could beat some relative no-names.

Yes, Loras does do this. After years of training at not only riding, but riding with the large and cumbersome lance. And in armor. And with proper training and coaching. And practice aiming. And practice holding his shield. With a horse trained for jousting. And with the full approval and help of his family. For years.

Lyanna was worried about being caught at playing with sticks in the godswood. 

Lyanna rode exceptionally well. To mongrelize Lady Catherine de Bourgh: "Had Lyanna ever learnt jousting, she should have been a great proficient."

I think it's Lyanna but makes for a better story if it was Ned and as Rheagar was about to find out, she took the fall.  Causing Rheagar and her to fall in love and Ned to blame the war on himself when they elope.  At the ToJ Dayne says "so it begins" and Ned responded with "no, now it ends". It began with Ned, Howland and Lyanna, and that's who it ends with.

Part of me just wants there to be more to Ned than he was honorable and shy.  He loved someone but couldn't be with her because she liked Brandon more (or had to end it to marry Cat).

Archived