January Reads: Setting the Tone for 2016!

Starkess

Happy New Year, everyone!

I started The Word for World is Forest a couple days ago. Good so far (duh, Ursula Le Guin).

Also I have had Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power sitting on my nightstand at like page 40 for months. Will try to get back into that one.

Starting the year by reading Red Country from Abercrombie. This is the only Abercrombie's book I haven't read so far, and it will finish the journey to The First Law started two years ago.

Not going to start any series this month, so planning to read The Lions of Al-Rassan (GGK), Tarkin (Luceno) and the new Mistborn book (Sanderson). Maybe I'll read something from Gaiman if there is time (Neverwhere or American Gods).

Happy New Year, everyone!

I started The Word for World is Forest a couple days ago. Good so far (duh, Ursula Le Guin).

Also I have had Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power sitting on my nightstand at like page 40 for months. Will try to get back into that one.

I've been working up the willpower to read TJ: The Art of Power as well. Small world. 

At the moment I'm reading 'The Red Queen', by Isobelle Carmody. I've almost finished it but I've slowed down a heap because I don't want it to end- I've been reading this series for 15 years lol.

I'm also reading 'Bullies, Bastards and Bitches: How to write the bad guys of Fiction', by Jessica Page Morrell. This will hopefully help with writing some of my own characters.

I've also been reading 'Titans of History', by Simon sebag Montefiore. This is an ongoing book I'm reading and taking notes for. I'm about 40% through it and it will also help me with coming up with some characters. 

Other books that I put down and want to pick up again soon are: 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader', by C. S. Lewis, 'The Pillow Book of the Flower Samurai', by Barbara Lazar and the rest of 'Dangerous Women' and 'Rogues'  

I finished off the Rogues anthology. I commented on the first half in the last thread. Out of the second half I enjoyed the stories by Neil Gaiman (it may inspire me to read Neverwhere sometime), Phyllis Eisenstein, Lisa Tuttle (I'm not sure if she's written anything else about the Victorian detectives featured here but I'd be willing to read more if she had) and Patrick Rothfuss. GRRM's story had some interesting details on Westeros history but the way it is written is very dry and not very compelling. The Walter John Williams story was probably the only one I really disliked.

I've been working up the willpower to read TJ: The Art of Power as well. Small world. 

I find TJ fascinating, but I'm having trouble with this book. It's not really written like a biography but not really a historical book either. It seems just very scattershot, I have no idea what the author is trying to do here. I did make it through another two chapters tonight, though! I won't be beat!

I'm going to start off the year with Naomi Novik's Uprooted. I've heard great things about it and I was supposed to start it a couple of days ago, but never found the time.

I loved Uprooted, and it really got my into the mood for modern fairy tales/fairy tales with a twist. Hope you enjoy it!

I started War And Peace and I'm hoping that I get through it really quick  because I've never been a fan of reading about war and its such a huge book, but I'll try. 

If you are interested, the BBC are doing a mini series of War and Peace, starting this Sunday, and it looks pretty good.

I'm finishing up Genevieve Cogman's The Invisible Library, which has been alright but not groundbreaking or terribly exciting. I'm not feeling any great need to go out and buy the next in the series.

Next up I plan to read Wizard of the Pigeons by Megan Lindholm (Robin Hobb)

Finished The Fifth Season and loved it. Definitely going to be reading the sequel when it's released. If you're a fan of great prose and intriguing, mysterious worlds you can't go wrong with this one.

I'm starting Star Wars: Lost Stars, because the new movie got me in the mood for it.

I've started my reading off with Revolutionary Road by Diane Eickhoff, it's a biography of Clarina Nichols who crusaded for women's rights in the United States during the 1800s.  She isn't as well known today as others like Susan B. Anthony, but she was important at the beginning of the movement.

I've got this book on my shelf, if everything goes right I'll be reading around September.

I'm reading one of the books I got for Christmas, The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro.  I've also started Word Puppets, a collection of shorts by Mary Robinette Kowal. 

Let me know what you think of The Buried Giant. It's on my device waiting to read, and if it's promising I might bump it up in my priorities.

Reading Joanne M. Harris's The Gospel of Loki. Interesting little book, love the prose(and the Nordic mythology obviously). 

I quite enjoyed this when I read it (was it really two years ago? My, how time flies). Nothing groundbreaking, but thoroughly entertaining. I actually remember reading Runemarks by the same author when I was at school, but until I looked her up after Gospel of Loki I hadn't realised it was the same woman

I finished The Word for World is Forest last night. It was really short, but I'm counting it anyway, one book down in 2016! It was really good, too. When you can get me to cheer for a genocide of humans...er, what does that say about me? Anyway, I was surprised to find out afterwards that it was written in 1972. I knew it wasn't recent, but it held up really well IMO (which a lot of science fiction doesn't, to me anyway).

I haven't read fantasy in a while (I've been writing a science fiction manuscript so I usually end up reading science fiction when doing so), so I decided to pick up Uprooted, which I've heard good things about and is, I believe, a standalone. Going to start that tonight!

Also continuing to make progress on Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power. I read another two chapters today--if I can read two chapters every day, I'll be done by the end of the month! 

I started War And Peace and I'm hoping that I get through it really quick  because I've never been a fan of reading about war and its such a huge book, but I'll try. 

Not to discourage you, but I could not finish that one. It was huge and, worse, boring!

Archived