Stannis definitely dead says Martin

Stannis th3 Mannis

I'm not sure he's going to finish the book in 2016 either, which is a shame, but entirely predictable. He seems to be in a bit of a funk and I have to wonder whether he truly knows where hes going with the story at all. Its worrying. 

The interesting bit of what he said though was that there were some characters who were alive in his books and might survive even if they die in the show. It still to be seen who hes really referring to here, as he mentioned a whole host of very minor characters as well.

While many of us knew that, some of us speculated that he might be alive. Well, I can't fault them for it, because the did indeed ended that way without showing us his body or something. George already mentioned Stannis among other characters that are gone from our show. It's possible that they just cut him off and give some of his arc to Jon+whatever Jon will do after his resurrection or healing in the books. I guess running around in the Ghost for whole season would be boring. You can do that for couple of episode, but not for a whole season or simply let Jon have season off like Bran.

Stannis was always from perspective secondary character...but enjoyable one. It will be interesting if PL was right in the books, maybe he'll die soon or he'll live for some time. George warned us before that some character that are gone from the show will live in the books. He did saved NW, Mel...all of this because he trusted her vision and prophecies. Stannis will use North as his step towards IT, Jon on the other hand will be fighting for his home...more emotional I guess.

Stannis was always from perspective secondary character...but enjoyable one. It will be interesting if PL was right in the books, maybe he'll die soon or he'll live for some time. George warned us before that some character that are gone from the show will live in the books. He did saved NW, Mel...all of this because he trusted her vision and prophecies. Stannis will use North as his step towards IT, Jon on the other hand will be fighting for his home...more emotional I guess.

Yup he was always a secondary character, and absent for huge stretches in the books, where he has such a fan base, and yet ironically he is a far bigger character in the shows I thought. But as many of us thought his watch and story has now ended.

Well, I gotta admit even though I was  adamant about stannis coming back next season, It is starting to look unlikely at this point.

And if it is true and stannis is dead on the show, I really don't have much reason to watch the show anymore. Stannis wasn't the only thing I liked about the show (more so in earlier seasons) but without his character and how the show has taken a nose dive in quality, I m not very eager about the return of the show, I ll probably be rolling my eyes most of the time anyway.

I hope stannis remains alive in the books, as I think it would also reduce my interest in books too if he dies (although there is much more I like about the books and I still want to know what happens). It would also be a shame as stannis was the really important political character in the series who was just on the periphery of POVs view, but who got shit done and could be a great foil to the series becoming all about POVs and how special they were.

So Stannis only role was to bring us Melisandre, and Melisandre's only role (could be) to animate Jon? Kinda of a waste, if true.

I hate this line of reasoning. You could say that for almost every character killed.

- So Robb's only role was to bring us Stoneheart?

- So Oberyn's only role is to bring us Dorne?

- So Gregor's only role is to die by Oberyn?

So on and so forth. Stannis' role was to do that and other things but most importantly to entertain. Just like any other character in the show and books. He wasn't wasted to me because enjoyed his story.

I read George's comments and it was clear to me that he was referring more to minor characters, I am convinced now that Stannis does lose to the Boltons/Frey's in Winds of Winter. That Tyrion is meeting Dany in the same book too. The show has only moved forward certain events.

That said I expect the details of how these events play out to be different, with much more depth in the books.

I read George's comments and it was clear to me that he was referring more to minor characters, I am convinced now that Stannis does lose to the Boltons/Frey's in Winds of Winter.

I actually think he will beat them but be betrayed by Northeners in WF after victory.

They will establish King of Winter, proclaim Rickon a King.

There was no rumor of Stephen Dillane among the cast of season 6 either ... contrary to someone else.

I had doubts, but I think it is safe now to believe that Stannis is dead. In the books, I see him living longer. Probably not to the end, but longer. GRRM more or less said so. I don't think he would list Stannis if he was to die in the second chapter of TWOW.

So Stannis only role was to bring us Melisandre, and Melisandre's only role (could be) to animate Jon? Kinda of a waste, if true.

what a narrow way of seeing things! Sometimes being reductive misses...everything really.

Stannis is about blind ambition, trying to win by any means. He is about bringing in to question the notion of a "right" to lead when noone wants to follow you. He is about how what is legally right is sometimes ignored because noone can be bothered enforcing the law. He is the perfect contrast to the wildling and Northern concept of leadership, which is why his quest ultimately fails in the North among those who do not kneel.

etc.

Agree. My post was tongue in cheek as I do hope Jons resurrection is more than Maelisandre throwing herself on a pyre . I do think Mel and religion generally in the books says something important about religion and blind faith generally

Agree. My post was tongue in cheek as I do hope Jons resurrection is more than Maelisandre throwing herself on a pyre . I do think Mel and religion generally in the books says something important about religion and blind faith generally

On one hand there is still room for Mel as a character(she has to meet Arya at some point) like you said will all the religions thingd going around, but on the other hand Mel is basically walking resurrection option ever time Jon is in trouble unless they make it somehow special that it can't replicated. Mel and Ghost are apparently present at that scene. I guess, if anyone is going to sacirifice himself it will be Ghost and especially if Jon's mind is in his body. Maybe it requires to do sacrifice even tho we never encountered that it needed to be done this way.

On one hand there is still room for Mel as a character(she has to meet Arya at some point) like you said will all the religions thingd going around, but on the other hand Mel is basically walking resurrection option ever time Jon is in trouble unless they make it somehow special that it can't replicated. Mel and Ghost are apparently present at that scene. I guess, if anyone is going to sacirifice himself it will be Ghost and especially if Jon's mind is in his body. Maybe it requires to do sacrifice even tho we never encountered that it needed to be done this way.

True. A couple options, one is as  Jon is the Azor Ahai and something wierd happens and Mel saves him directly. Alternatively he wargs into ghost and hangs out there until Mel and/or Bran can bring him back. Mel should go by throwing herself on his pyre, might be the female death in episode one.  This option list is, of course, not comprehensive.

True. A couple options, one is as  Jon is the Azor Ahai and something wierd happens and Mel saves him directly. Alternatively he wargs into ghost and hangs out there until Mel and/or Bran can bring him back. Mel should go by throwing herself on his pyre, might be the female death in episode one.  This option list is, of course, not comprehensive.

I remember Carice saying that her acr for season 6 is amazing or what she heard. Actors usually are saying that, but it's logical. On one hand she might've misinterpretated characters in her vision like she did with Stannis and Jon. Events are real but people are different. Sansa is the option here and we know that she will be there and George said that Sansa and Arya have some unfinish business. Although, books and show are going different routes. 

On the other hand if  she dies in the premier and Jon is resurrected. It would feel kinda rushed. She needs to figured it out that Jon is the one she was been looking for and do something about it.

I'd say ep. 3 or 4. L7R suggested that it will be ep.5, but don't know about that. If it is ep. 3 or 4 it would give Jon a good amount of time to deal with what has happened, plans what do do next and it kinda give Mel time to figured it out and it would feel natural and not rushed.

what a narrow way of seeing things! Sometimes being reductive misses...everything really.

Stannis is about blind ambition, trying to win by any means. He is about bringing in to question the notion of a "right" to lead when noone wants to follow you. He is about how what is legally right is sometimes ignored because noone can be bothered enforcing the law. He is the perfect contrast to the wildling and Northern concept of leadership, which is why his quest ultimately fails in the North among those who do not kneel.

etc.

spoken like a true D&D fan lol.

How is northern concept of leadership any different from what stannis is pushing? its still all based on the feudal rights. Would anyone even consider Jon Snow if he weren't a Stark bastard?

If anything stannis is among the rare cases where he promotes his men based on merit rather than birthright. Also unlike the show, wildlings do bend the knee to stannis and so would Mance if he was given the choice.

So your post only work if you are solely talking about the show.

spoken like a true D&D fan lol.

How is northern concept of leadership any different from what stannis is pushing? its still all based on the feudal rights. Would anyone even consider Jon Snow if he weren't a Stark bastard?

If anything stannis is among the rare cases where he promotes his men based on merit rather than birthright. Also unlike the show, wildlings do bend the knee to stannis and so would Mance if he was given the choice.

So your post only work if you are solely talking about the show.

What I wrote has nothing to do with the show. It is right there in the books if you care to read them. Stannis's path is all about him being Robert's "rightful" heir and noone giving a damn because they don't want him as King badly enough to fight for him.

Sure, Stannis promotes people based on merit, sometimes. What does that have to do with anything? He is at war to become King because he thinks that is his right, even thoughh the kingdom he wants to rule has made it abundantly clear they do not want him.

The wildlings CHOOSE their king. Mance had to EARN their loyalty. Stannis thinks it is owed to him.

The Northerners may be somewhat different from the wildlings, but there are signs the differences are not so great, and that the Starks have in fact earned the loyalty of their bannermen. 

Archived