GRRM updates WoW at "NotaBlog"

SerHaHa

George just wrote a very detailed post over at Live Journal on his NotABlog.  I won't disrespect his choice to put the information there by cutting/pasting it, as the link to the blog is on the front page of this website.  While the book isn't finished yet, there is a TON of detailed information on where things stand, and I'm sure most members here are interested in this intel GRRM was very gracious to share.

Was expecting this, and I am not even trying to avoid GoT spoilers. It is a lost cause after all, unless I decide to not use internet, which is impossible.

GoT has invaded all areas of pop culture now. Even watching other TV shows like Big Bang Theory or Jimmy Fallon will have potential spoilers.

Like it or not, there will be no way to avoid learning Jon Snow's fate.  :dunno:  That shit will be everywhere.

Its his book to write.  I'm not getting upset, but only because I've realized for years now that there's a very real chance he will never finish the series.

I don't know - I think it's possible to avoid spoilers if you really make the effort. Yes, you do have to go out of your way to ensure that you're not spoiled, but it can be done. Then again, it also depends on your consumption of pop culture - I'm still on the fence about skipping out on season 6. 

He can take his time - There's plenty of other books to read. 

The other confirmation I got from that was my long suspicion that he no longer enjoys writing.

He can complain about the "No pages" thing from Deadspin all he wants, but their central premise is confirmed by his post.  He enjoys the celebrity life more than he enjoys writing.

(Now... The whole part about Bran being a time traveling tree wanting to bone his aunt was a bit much.  :P  Seriously, where do fans come up with this shit?)

That is just writing provocative rubbish for hits isn't it? I am with GRRM on this really, garbage journalism.

it's Deadspin, so of course it is.  Doesn't mean that there's no truth to it.  

Based on GRRM's own LJ post, I get the impression that he's closer to "No pages" than a finished book.  I'm okay with that for the reasons I posted above, but I'm not sure George should be offended by the article.

It's disappointing news. The long delays and declining quality of the books had lowered expectations anyway, but I'm still justifiably disappointed and annoyed that the TV show overtakes and spoils the books. And there will be no way to avoid big spoilers. This was such a predictable problem that anyone selling the rights to the HBO had a responsibility to avoid it.

The bottom line is that GRRM has, for well over a decade now, enjoyed celebrity and side projects more than finishing ASOIAF. That's his prerogative. I don't agree with the people who criticize him for it. It's his life and his choice.

At this point my main concern is that the books will never be finished and the TV show will complete the story (and become canon), and GRRM will have tarnished his legacy as much as George Lucas. I wouldn't be surprised if ten years from now fans talk about the "original trilogy" like they do for Star Wars.

Based on GRRM's own LJ post, I get the impression that he's closer to "No pages" than a finished book.  I'm okay with that for the reasons I posted above, but I'm not sure George should be offended by the article.

???

His editors and himself thought that he could finish the book in October, and then in December when he didn't in October. How's that closer to "No Pages" than a finished book?!

It's disappointing news. The long delays and declining quality of the books had lowered expectations anyway, but I'm still justifiably disappointed and annoyed that the TV show overtakes and spoils the books. And there will be no way to avoid big spoilers. This was such a predictable problem that anyone selling the rights to the HBO had a responsibility to avoid it.

The bottom line is that GRRM has, for well over a decade now, enjoyed celebrity and side projects more than finishing ASOIAF. That's his prerogative. I don't agree with the people who criticize him for it. It's his life and his choice.

At this point my main concern is that the books will never be finished and the TV show will complete the story (and become canon), and GRRM will have tarnished his legacy as much as George Lucas. I wouldn't be surprised if ten years from now fans talk about the "original trilogy" like they do for Star Wars.

Don't we already to some extent?  I'd say its practically universally accepted that AFFC/ADWD do not reach the same quality that the "original trilogy" do.  I also think GRRM is just as delusional thinking two books can finish this thing as Robert Jordan was when he said "one more book" to Wheel of Time.

I agree that it is his prerogative to enjoy his life how he sees fit.  He is at an age where most of us will be enjoying the fruits of our retirement.  I'm certainly not one to begrudge him that.  However, I also will always look askance at him taking offence to people speaking what is essentially a self-evident truth.

In the Brandon Sanderson thread a couple weeks ago, someone made the comment they expect him to finish Stormlight Archives (currently at book two out of ten) before GRRM finishes ASoIaF.  I don't think anyone necessarily disagreed.

???

His editors and himself thought that he could finish the book in October, and then in December when he didn't in October. How's that closer to "No Pages" than a finished book?!

Basing that on this one line: 

I am months away still... and that's if the writing goes well.

GRRM has always been a hopeless optimist when he talks of making progress on his book.  For him to readily admit that the book is months away "if the writing goes well" is a huge signal to me that the book won't be done for years.

One curious thing I noticed - Martin asserts that TV!Stannis is dead. Has he just spoiled a cliff-hanger for us?

I don't consider this surprising news. Apart from, perhaps, the revelation that it'd be a likely three month turn-around between submission and publication - a sign that the publisher doesn't care about taking the time to do a proper edit, and just wants the book out NOW.

I actually wonder about the wider effects on the genre. It wouldn't surprise me if publishers from now on get cold feet about signing authors up for vast sprawling epics - which means a revival of stand-alones and trilogies as the basic fantasy format. And even with trilogies, authors would be expected to have much tighter planning. 

My standard advice to new readers on ASOIAF is "read the first three, and make up your own ending."

it's Deadspin, so of course it is.  Doesn't mean that there's no truth to it.  

Truth to it? There is truth in saying ingesting water is hazardous to your health too. The article is bad and George should very much be offended by it.

1. "No pages" to me means zero. Its a rather extreme position to take and he doesn't even keep his "credible alternate analysis" consistent as to whether "no pages" means zero or not enough to publish Winds.

2. He claims that only "one unfinished book" has been published in the last decade. Two books have been published. Whatever you think of the quality, the claim was on quantity and as such, completely dishonest.

2.5. This is also completely disregarding all the other small stories set it Westeros, such as Dunk and Egg and whatever he contributed to World of Ice and Fire.

3. The article doesn't just claim that he has "no pages", it is claiming that George is basically not working.

appears to really like traveling and writing takes about the New York Giants and science fiction awards and doing other things that aren’t writing new books in his famous ASOIAF series

Yeah, technically true. Completely misleading as well. 

4. The article says the George used to release books relatively quickly and is claiming reasons such as the above quote for the delay. What? George wasn't watching football then? George didn't go to conventions then? Sure, he has more distractions now, like his cinema and has more media related work, but that doesn't explain the delay between Feast and Dance does it?

Honestly, its one thing to say that George is slow, unfocused and would probably not manage to finish the series but that article is so ridiculous that anyone reading it could be offended for wasting their time. It would be fine if it was a tongue in cheek post like the amazing crackpot theory that the Hound and Mountain are brothers, but its not and is closer to libel than journalism.

Archived