Update on the "Winds"

When the show first began Martin was militant about people discussing the books on his site as he was so worried that the story would be spoiled for all the tv show fans he expected to flood his site. Now that the story is going to be spoiled for those who have been with him from the beginning , through no fault of their own, he seems to think they should be philosophical and just take it on the chin. Interesting attitude

All I will say is this:

I first came across Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (best, funniest, series of books ever written, though I appreciate a somewhat different genre to ASOIAF) via the BBC TV series.

So when I came to read the books I knew how it all ended .....

But the journey was different. 

And I still re-read those books to this day.

I have read LotR dozens of times, even though I know how it all ends ....,.

So I really don't care that long after I have seen the final TV episode of Game of Thrones there may be a new book in the ASOIAF series being published that covers some of what I have seen but an awful lot more that I have not.

I'm much less confident than you.

In the case of WoT, the undesirable situation of final book(s) in someone's voice other than Jordan's was necessary for people to be able to get the end of the story. That won't be the case in the scenario you lay out.

Hopefully George has many many years in front of him and we'll never have to find out. 

That's a good point.  We really don't know what the appetite for the books will be after the series reveals how it all ends, particularly if, as seems likely, any future books are of comparable (or inferior!) quality to AFFC/ADWD.  Hardcore fans would obviously acquire them no matter what, but they're only a minority of the potential readership.

We are further away from the written ending, in terms of page/word count, than we were August 2000.  CRAZY.

That is a pity WoW is not finished. I am disappointed, but not surprised.

May be we will have the sixth book in this year yet, but I really wanted it before season 6. George said he wrote hundreds of pages, but still have to write a lot of things. May be he is a few hundreds of pages away, but I am afraid to know the exact number.

That is a pity WoW is not finished. I am disappointed, but not surprised.

May be we will have the sixth book in this year yet, but I really wanted it before season 6. George said he wrote hundreds of pages, but still have to write a lot of things. May be he is a few hundreds of pages away, but I am afraid to know the exact number.

Same here,  I was keeping my fingers crossed however, I knew from when he announced that he could be skipping the Con's in order to try to get the book done.  I already knew that it wouldn't be so.    But, I can wait for the books.   Unlike some hardcore fans who think that the Show should actually stop & wait on the books( you can tell that they know nothing about Movie or TV production) before going ahead of the books.    I am looking forward to both, The Show in April & the book, whenever it comes out.   When the books do come out I think that I will read the last 2 books by Character instead of chapter by chapter. something different for me. Then, I will re-read the books by chapter, I have re - read this series already 5 times.  I will say that if it wasn't for the show, I would have never read the books at all( never heard of them).  However, I am a major fan of the books and I can wait  

"Outlander’ Author Throws Shade At George R.R. Martin Over Missed Deadlines During Starz Panel – TCA"

http://deadline.com/2016/01/outlander-starz-diana-gabaldon-calls-out-george-rr-martin-over-missed-deadline-tca-1201678526/

“No,” she said when asked about potential deadline problems on her upcoming books. “Unlike George, I write no matter where I am or what I’m doing.” Ouch. Cue heavy “ooooohs” from the audience, and a lot of laughs.

Gabaldon was quick to play somewhat nice. “Everyone has their process,” she said dryly. “He likes to travel and he can’t write when he travels.” But, she added, “I write when I travel so, no.” She then, nicely, stuck the digs in even deeper. Seemingly referring to Martin’s statement that his publisher needs several months to get the books out from the time he turns in a manuscript, she described her own experiences, ending with “I know they can actually get it from the manuscript to bookstores in about 5 weeks – because they do.”

"Outlander’ Author Throws Shade At George R.R. Martin Over Missed Deadlines During Starz Panel – TCA"

http://deadline.com/2016/01/outlander-starz-diana-gabaldon-calls-out-george-rr-martin-over-missed-deadline-tca-1201678526/

That's rich, coming from someone who actually needs the same amount of time to write her books.

1991, '92, '93, '96, '01, '05, '09, '14

Connie Willis - also a friend of GRRM's - did the same thing, she called ADWD too long and bloated. Then she released Blackout and All Clear, one short time travel novella stretched into two massive 600-page novels which were individually overlong, bloated, horrifically badly researched and overwritten to the point of comedy. They were awful. And then won the Hugo Award.

I couldn't work out if this was down to a lack of self-awareness, comical metacommentary or plain hypocrisy. Weird.

There's also the point that shifting his 30+ year old PC around to various hotels is not really practical.

I do know someone looked into loading an emulator onto a laptop to run WordStar 4.0 on a Windows PC, but there were question marks then about how you'd get the files back off the laptop and onto the PC.

He should travel less or use his travel time to write outlines and overviews on a regular computer and then when he's home he can work on his retro system for the actual writing.

Except that, as best as I can tell, he refuses to change anything about his work habits or his traveling schedule that would facilitate him being more efficient.  And, thus, here we all sit.  Disappointed, sad, angry, hopeless.  And there he sits in New Mexico, feeling much the same I suspect.  Although he probably isn't hopeless since I'm sure he's convinced he will finish Winds in 'months' and then churn out his 'last' book in record time once he has no deadlines.  Who knows, maybe he will.  Maybe his muse will return after the HBO show wraps.

There's also the point that shifting his 30+ year old PC around to various hotels is not really practical.

TWOW is worth hundreds of millions of dollars.  Practicality isn't an excuse.  Bantam could have an entire team of people installing his computer into every hotel room he stays in.

He's had difficulty writing away from home in the past and now it's forever an excuse not to.  

Realistically, the show isn't going to tell us anything we didn't already know. Jon will survive as george has hinted at and we will be told that Jon is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar, as almost every hint in the book points too (I know, there are some folks that really think that the prince was a rapist and that Jon is Ashara's kid but they will get over it)

Realistically, the show isn't going to tell us anything we didn't already know. Jon will survive as george has hinted at and we will be told that Jon is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar, as almost every hint in the book points too (I know, there are some folks that really think that the prince was a rapist and that Jon is Ashara's kid but they will get over it)

Crackpot!

Archived