Bumping for Benjen, Vol. VI

King Tyrion I

6 hours ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Benjen does have bastards, says so way back in book one.

Bump.

Page number?  All I recall is Benjen saying Jon should have a few bastards of his own before joining the watch. Not exactly proof that Benjen fathered any. Would be kind of rotten for Benjen to go around having kids and then join the NW so that he wouldn't have to support them.  Also, he was like 14 when he joined. Not saying he couldn't have had a kid or two, but he would have had to start early by Westerosi standards.

What Benjie says is that Jon should have sex before he joins the NW and father a few bastards. I think that certainly implies he is not a virgin and may have a few kids himself. Them Starks are virile! Also, could have fathered them there kids on his travels away from the wall. I would think he could laid at Winterfell or anywhere in the north considering who he is.

On 2/23/2016 at 7:58 PM, GrapefruitPerrier said:

What Benjie says is that Jon should have sex before he joins the NW and father a few bastards. I think that certainly implies he is not a virgin and may have a few kids himself. Them Starks are virile! Also, could have fathered them there kids on his travels away from the wall. I would think he could laid at Winterfell or anywhere in the north considering who he is.

I think the idea of Benjen having a bastard or three after having joined works pretty well. It would give him a different perspective on things, perhaps regrets that he doesn't want Jon to have.

On 2/23/2016 at 8:08 PM, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Also, I picked up this thought on the audiobooks and not from the written version . Dotris gives it the tone of bragging advice from Benjie to Jonnie

Ah, I've only read the books. Dotrice uses an interesting interpretation of the line then. I don't think the text implies anything specific about the tone Benjen is using, but I thought when reading it that it seemed more sad or pragmatic. 

Archived