Why did mace want to marry cersei to willas?

purple-eyes

For money? Cersei can inherit casterly rock, but her child with willas can not. 

It will go to tommen or myrcela. 

Power? Mother of king? But tywin certainly look like that he does not want cersei to be in court. 

Not to mention she is older and also a widow. 

And this is so awkward too, margarey's brother married her mother-in-law! 

So confusing. 

Propaganda, and stronger alliances. The more children Cersei has with Willas, the less true the tales of the Twincest Trio sound. Once Tommen is king, the Westerlands are very likely going to be handed over to the next in the Lannister line. Cersei has one son and a daughter, who is promised to a Dornish. If Cersei has a son with Willas, he would inherit Hiighgarden and have a half-brother for a king. If she has another son, he is going to have a better claim than Myrcella on Casterly Rock, since men inherit befroe girls from the same parent anywhere that is not Dorne. It doesn't take much to realise that Tyrion is not going to inherit CR, and Tywin might have even hinted at that in conversation with Mace in order to strengthen the alliance. This would make the next lord of Highgarden brother to a king and brother to the lord of Casterly Rock.

Cersei is proven fertile, and is still of child bearing age. The further away she is from the capital, the better it is for the Lannister-Tyrell propaganda effort, and the more sons she has with Willas the stronger the alliance, and weaker the incest tales.

For money? Cersei can inherit casterly rock, but her child with willas can not. 

It will go to tommen or myrcela. 

Power? Mother of king? But tywin certainly look like that he does not want cersei to be in court. 

Not to mention she is older and also a widow. 

And this is so awkward too, margarey's brother married her mother-in-law! 

So confusing. 

Perhaps I misunderstand you. Mace did not want Willis to marry Cersei; Tywin offered her in marriage.

(Tywin speaking to Tyrion)  Lord Tywin cut him off. "Mace Tyrell has refused my offer to marry Cersei to his heir Willas." A Storm of Swords - Tyrion IV

Tywin wanted Cesei married to end the rumors of her relationship with Jaime.Tywin even says to Cersei "You will marry and you will breed. Every child you birth makes Stannis more a liar."

Perhaps I misunderstand you. Mace did not want Willis to marry Cersei; Tywin offered her in marriage.

(Tywin speaking to Tyrion)  Lord Tywin cut him off. "Mace Tyrell has refused my offer to marry Cersei to his heir Willas." A Storm of Swords - Tyrion IV

Tywin wanted Cesei married to end the rumors of her relationship with Jaime.Tywin even says to Cersei "You will marry and you will breed. Every child you birth makes Stannis more a liar."

well, official App said mace offered willas but cersei refused. 

Poor Cersei!

And then Oberyn refused her too, even though Ellaria got wet at the thought of Cersei sharing their bed.

Poor Ellaria!

Mace took the offer but the QoT shot it down. I'm rereading aSoS atm and just went by this chapter where Tywin shows Tyrion the VS swords he had made for Jamie and Joff . 

Now his reason for taking this deal? I would think it was to further his strength while brown nosing Tywin at the same time. But the Queen of Thorns more than a bleating sheep

Greatest decision the Tyrells ever made by refusing that batshit crazy piece of shit. Still Aerys best decision. 

Anytime someone refuses Cersei is the best decision they ever made. 

Archived