Is Jon (Dayne) better for the plot than Jon (Targaryen)?

Han Lotion

I would like it more if Jon is the son of Ashara only because it would surprise me. Someone probably figured out that R+L=J after reading the first book (which was what 20 years ago?) and at that time GRRM was planning on making this a trilogy so he did not expect the mystery of Jon parents to continue for so long, now everybody is aware of the theory which to some might make the reveal seem a bit anti-climatic when it happens. But no it would not be better for the plot as many has pointed out already.

BTW the most damning evidence for R+L=J being true is that GRRM asked D&D who Jons parents are and they got it right, and if those fuckers figured it out then the answer has to be pretty obvious.

Maybe in a different story. House Dayne in ASOIAF is just a footnote, its popularity hugely disproportional to its importance.

The Daynes are the Boba Fett of Westeros. - Lol 

I agree with Ferocious. I am interested in the finding out about the Daynes though, intrigued actually.   

Story wise I don't think that Jon as a Dayne would be better or more useful in plot than jon as a Targaryen. Let's put it into perspective, the Daynes are relatively minor in the story at this point, even though there is a lot of mystery surrounding them. Whereas the Targaryens are a huge point of interest with hundreds of years of rich history and characters within the house. Imo the reveal of Jon as a Targaryen would have a bigger payoff than Jon as a Dayne even if their sword fits in better with the lightbringer prophesy (but even that is only if you belive in a literal over a figurative representation)Also the Targaryens are the most magically endowed house along with the Starks placing Jon in a more powerful position as a saviour/ hero of the story if he is able to control his warging, prophetic visions and even dragon riding. It just has a bigger payoff against the others if jon is a Targaryen especially since we haven't really seen any evidence of Dayne magic.

\/\/\/\/\/

thanks 

Ahhhh I never  mentioned AD being his father. Also fire isn't used only in reference to Targaryens.  We 've seen it used more to describe war. We've seen it used in reference to the Red God, which is not a diety associated with Targaryens. There is also "fire consumes and ice preserves. And we have no contextual evidence to say the series title is about Jon or that the story is about him. You're theorizing as much as I am, truth be told.

Your question if AA is likely to be a dayne and then your reference to R+L=J  looks like a direct reference to another baseless theory bandied about on these forums. You should be more clear in the future and not reference something that has nothing to do with what you are posting about.  Also, while I am "theorizing" I never said Jon being Ice and fire had to be the only Ice and fire in the books. In other posts, I frequently write about how prophecy and archetype does not have to be singular. Both Jon and Dany fit AA reborn and the prince that was promised. Jon and Bran both fit the last hero. Ice and fire can be Jon, it can be Dany Bringing her dragons to fight the others. It is Mel, a priest of the red god, gaining strength and becoming as powerful as she has ever been at the wall, the largest ice structure on planetos.  It was Aemon, A targ prince living at the wall. It is the burning of Winterfell, The literal seat of the King's of winter. All of these  and more fit perfectly and are not mutually exclusive of each other. What does not fit, is a Dayne being the father of Jon or Jon being closely related to them in any way, just for the sake of him somehow traveling to the other side of the continent and wielding Dawn. That was my point. 

i prefer jon is a son of Ashara dayne and Ned stark. 

Jon the ice-star or star-wolf. sounds pretty cool. 

since Ashara is incredibly beautiful, maybe jon can be more handsome since he will follow his mother's side. 

It is said very clearly that Jon looks like a stark. that is what would make the Ice and fire bit work in the story. He does not look like a targ, but he finds out he is one later  

I would like it more if Jon is the son of Ashara only because it would surprise me. Someone probably figured out that R+L=J after reading the first book (which was what 20 years ago?) and at that time GRRM was planning on making this a trilogy so he did not expect the mystery of Jon parents to continue for so long, now everybody is aware of the theory which to some might make the reveal seem a bit anti-climatic when it happens. But no it would not be better for the plot as many has pointed out already.

BTW the most damning evidence for R+L=J being true is that GRRM asked D&D who Jons parents are and they got it right, and if those fuckers figured it out then the answer has to be pretty obvious.

did D&D figure it out though? It seems more ambiguous than that. Didn't GRRM just 'smile' when they answered.........

It is said very clearly that Jon looks like a stark. that is what would make the Ice and fire bit work in the story. He does not look like a targ, but he finds out he is one later  

yeah, but if ned is his daddy, then no wonder he looks like stark. 

FFS... Of course Jon having Targaryen blood is better. How the fuck can people think "The Sword of The Morning" could possibly be better than "The Song of Ice and Fire". 

Posts like this make me hope Jon Targaryen theory is wrong.

Would be fun to have that twist, it has some background, but no, I doubt it will happen. Makes one wonder, will Dayne sword play a role of some kind?

The Daynes are so interesting and mysterious.    Their story is being withheld for a reason.   No doubt something to do with Dawn and The Sword of the Morning.  And I think they will be important down the road.   Jon being a Dayne makes no sense to me with all the careful crafting of his story.  His being the song of ice and fire is the story in a nutshell--the warring factions, the diametrically opposed elements, the extreme extremes--is the story on every level.    I fail to understand how being a Dayne fulfills GRRM's painstakingly written Jon, the Bastard of Winterfell?  

For the record, Jon is already a Dayne from his father's side, so technically, he could have or use Dawn. Now, considering that many of us are very certain that Dawn and the Daynes are related to the Others, and Jon is there already, he will have a link to the Daynes, blood or not.

Also, it wouldn't be better for the plot. ASOIAF is not a mystery book in which THE READER IS GOING TO BE SO SHOCKED BY THIS TOTALLY UNEXPECTED TWIST!!!. The plot is supposed to make sense and every other signal points out to Jon being the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna: the whole plot of the book happens because Rhaegar and Lyanna were together. So, no, it wouldn't be better for the plot. It would cheapen the plot for unnecessary shock value.

For the record, Jon is already a Dayne from his father's side, so technically, he could have or use Dawn. Now, considering that many of us are very certain that Dawn and the Daynes are related to the Others, and Jon is there already, he will have a link to the Daynes, blood or not.

ok, his grandgrandgrandgrandma is a dayne, so he is already a dayne? 

Then he is an Arryn, martell, blackwood as well as Velaryon. 

No wonder many people feel he can rule seven kingdoms. 

ok, his grandgrandgrandgrandma is a dayne, so he is already a dayne? 

Then he is an Arryn, martell, blackwood as well as Velaryon. 

No wonder many people feel he can rule seven kingdoms. 

Well, BBP has a tiny little drop of Targ blood and the dragons like him.

Also, not only Jon but also Dany. They both have Valyrian and First Men blood.

Well, BBP has a tiny little drop of Targ blood and the dragons like him.

Also, not only Jon but also Dany. They both have Valyrian and First Men blood.

no matter how dragon likes him, that can not make him a tararyen, only a plumm. 

Archived