BBC's War & Peace [SPOILERS FOR THE SERIES]

Veltigar

I don't know how many people are going to watch this, but I'll start a thread regardless :) 

With some regret I have to admit that I haven't read the novel myself (I have had a copy for some years, but I just never got around to it) and I won't have time do so for quite some weeks. I know I'm probably not alone in this, so I'll just ask everyone to discuss the episodes only. If you want to discuss alterations from the novel, just be so kind as to use spoilertags. I know the book has been out for more than a century, but I'd still like to ask everyone posting in here to respect that rule.

I'll quote my own post from the Watched thread with my impression:

Just finished the first episode of the new BBC adaptation of War & Peace. Excellent stuff, per the usual. As far as costume drama's go, I think this has potential to become something great. There are only six episodes, which means that the pace is incredibly swift, but it doesn't feel rushed at all.

And the great advantage of the short runtime is that it looks absolutely lush. I read somewhere that this is probably one of the most expensive series the BBC has ever done and you can definitely tell that from what is shown on screen. The costumes, sets and locations of this adaptation make Downton Abbey look like a particularly cheap telenovela by comparison. Lily James in particular has never looked better and that's saying something. The battle scenes were great as well. Really tense and vivid. Between this, Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel and the Last Kingdom, the beeb is really on a roll on that front.

I'm interested in watching this.  I also haven't read the book but would like to.  With books of this length I sometimes find I benefit from watching a movie/tv version first to get a sense of the characters.  It helps keeps all the names straight!  And to the extent the book is good I never find knowing the plot in advance ruins anything. 

I looked to see if it will air in the United States anytime soon and discovered it will air on A&E, Lifetime, and the History Channel as four two-hour episodes, beginning on January 18, 2016.  So a few more weeks then.

I'm interested in watching this.  I also haven't read the book but would like to.  With books of this length I sometimes find I benefit from watching a movie/tv version first to get a sense of the characters.  It helps keeps all the names straight!  And to the extent the book is good I never find knowing the plot in advance ruins anything. 

I looked to see if it will air in the United States anytime soon and discovered it will air on A&E, Lifetime, and the History Channel as four two-hour episodes, beginning on January 18, 2016.  So a few more weeks then.

Thanks for the post.  I was curious as to when it would air in the States but hadn't yet looked into it. Saving me an extra 5 minutes is a life-saver.

It's airing on three different channels? That's odd :o I do wonder how things like that happen. I would assume BBC America gets first choice out of BBC programming, but I guess I'm wrong in that?

I watched the first episode and thought it was a promising start. I also haven't read the book, and I suspect I will probably want to after the series finishes - already I'm having a hard time keeping track of who is who and who is doing what. This is a fairly common problem for me though, when I start a new series, so hopefully I will have everything straight soon enough.

Anyway, beautifully shot with decent acting, gorgeous costumes, tense and emotional battle scenes. Eagerly awaiting the rest of this series, and hopefully I'll be able to get the plot and characters straightened out in my head.

It's airing on three different channels? That's odd :o I do wonder how things like that happen. I would assume BBC America gets first choice out of BBC programming, but I guess I'm wrong in that?

Yeah it is odd although I think I remember one other show that did a similar simultaneous broadcast like this last year but I don't remember what it was.  I think they are all sister channels owned by the same entity.  And I suspect there is not a huge crossover between viewers for those channels so perhaps they are hoping to scope up a larger audience this way.

Saw a good part of the first episode and then decided that yes, this looks nice, and I will wait for all 6 episodes to come out and then binge watch.

Might be a good idea. I will probably watch weekly then binge watch the whole thing when it's over too. I feel like I might struggle at times to keep all of the characters straight in my head, and that's only going to be made worse by a week between each episode. E1 left me struggling to remember who was who at times, though that might just be the fact it was the first time I had watched it

Watched this on Sunday. Too much peace, not enough war, and a reminder why I never bothered with Downton Abbey.

And this guy has the most smackable face in the history of maladjusted poshos.

I hear Napolean will be making an entrance in episode two, so at least that's something to look forward to.

I think I'll wait until there's a few in the can before I start watching as my dad said episode one was slow. Just need to be careful as BBC only gives 4 weeks and not the duration of the series as catch up. Slightly frustrating for a 6 episode show that you can't binge it.

Great production values based on the trailer  but it's in a busy time slot for UK TV at the moment

Saw a good part of the first episode and then decided that yes, this looks nice, and I will wait for all 6 episodes to come out and then binge watch.

You guys are no fun :P How shall we discuss this if everyone binges :P 

Watched this on Sunday. Too much peace, not enough war, and a reminder why I never bothered with Downton Abbey.

Lol, if you thought this was too much peace you definitely should not check out Downton :P 

And this guy has the most smackable face in the history of maladjusted poshos.

You ask and Paul Thomas Anderson shall deliver :P Praise be to him :P 

Laughing my bollocks off. Well played, sir.

You're welcome ;) If you haven't seen There Will Be Blood Yet, I would definitely recommend it. There's a lot more where that came from :P 

Great production values based on the trailer  but it's in a busy time slot for UK TV at the moment

Aye, between this, Endeavour and Deutschland 83 you lot are getting spoiled :P I'd definitely recommend Deutschland 83 by the way, I binged those last week (because I'm weak and they were available), really fun series :) 

Might be a good idea. I will probably watch weekly then binge watch the whole thing when it's over too. I feel like I might struggle at times to keep all of the characters straight in my head, and that's only going to be made worse by a week between each episode. E1 left me struggling to remember who was who at times, though that might just be the fact it was the first time I had watched it

This is a really good reference for all of the characters http://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/632937/War-and-Peace-character-guides-James-Norton-Paul-Dano-Lily-James-BBC-Stephen-Red

Aye, between this, Endeavour and Deutschland 83 you lot are getting spoiled :P I'd definitely recommend Deutschland 83 by the way, I binged those last week (because I'm weak and they were available), really fun series :) 

It's on a different but I should also check out "Jericho" which is being billed as a "western set in 1870s yorkshire". I think the UK knows its residents are all physically/mentally/financilly exhausted after christmas and maximise programming for their captive audience.

I've only seen two episodes of Deutschland 83. I think I've been harsh on it because it's not as good as "the americans" (at least so far). I've been further hampered by the fact my partner is German and she doesn't really watch TV, slowing the process down.

It's on a different but I should also check out "Jericho" which is being billed as a "western set in 1870s yorkshire". I think the UK knows its residents are all physically/mentally/financilly exhausted after christmas and maximise programming for their captive audience.

I've only seen two episodes of Deutschland 83. I think I've been harsh on it because it's not as good as "the americans" (at least so far). I've been further hampered by the fact my partner is German and she doesn't really watch TV, slowing the process down.

Jericho sounds interesting, I'll probably try and check that one out as well. I read an interesting article on the Guardian about why all these networks are all of a sudden slugging it out on the Sunday night TV slot

I really should get back to The American. I think I watched the first season a couple of years back, but it didn't look as interesting as people make it sound here :P I actually thought that Deutschland 83s first season was better. Mainly because of the awesome soundtrack and a setting, which as far as I can tell, seems pretty historically accurate. 

Although, I had the advantage of binging the series. Everything was pretty fresh in my memore :) So there is that. 

Archived