Would you like an AFFC/ADWD like split of Winds?

Beorn Snow

45 minutes ago, Wendel Shoemaker said:

For me it was Tyrion's interactions with Penny. How after seeing her and the suffering she has gone through because of her Dawrfness and the loss of her brother because of him, he kind of started to get some humanity back after being so messed up. Someone he actually kind of gave a shit about and wanted to protect.

I also in general found the interactions with Jorah to be interesting, as well as seeing the slave life.

I do think it's clear though that George has planned on going a little further with Tyrion's story in Dance than he was able to.

In the end, I would have felt more trolled if Tyrion and Dany met up in a similar fashion to how the show did it than what we got. Maybe I'm just too okay with knowing that the beginning of TWOW is going to be so awesome with all of these characters right on the verge of something big happening.

Sorry man, but I hated just about everything Penny related. She was such a horrible character and for the most part useless to the plot. I'm so happy that character was removed from the show. If anything I felt Tyrion's guilt trip went on way too long in the books anyway.

To be honest, I'm just happy Tyrion and Danny met each other on the show Until in ADWD, where George just trolled us that they would meet for nearly an entire book, only to have Dany fly away on a dragon the chapter in which we see Tyrion in the city for the first time.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

Sorry man, but I hated just about everything Penny related. She was such a horrible character and for the most part useless to the plot. I'm so happy that character was removed from the show. If anything I felt Tyrion's guilt trip went on way too long in the books anyway.

To be honest, I'm just happy Tyrion and Danny met each other on the show Until in ADWD, where George just trolled us that they would meet for nearly an entire book, only to have Dany fly away on a dragon the chapter in which we see Tyrion in the city for the first time.

I guess I'm just along for the ride, I don't have any expectations. As long as the characterization makes sense I'm happy. I don't consider much useless to the plot though. I mean you can say that without Penny Tyrion likely would have turned to his boot mushrooms a lot sooner, and if it wasn't for her he likely wouldn't have been picked up by Yezzan who liked their pig show. But really I just think she adds to Tyrions character, keeps him from being awful.

I've never understood all the Penny hate though, considering how she's really just a sweet girl that isn't in the book all that much.

• 2 weeks later...

Please no! 

In fact, in reissues of Feast and Dance, I hope somebody eventually combines the two books and just finds a suitable stopping point somewhere in the middle. My biggest issue with Feast was the lack of Dany, Tyrion, and Jon chapters. My biggest issue with Dance is too many Jon, Dany, and Tryion chapters all the time! Merging the two books would fix both issues. Here is a site that has done so.

http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-readerfriendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

Please NOT AGAIN!

First of all, when I first read through the AFFC, without ANY of my favorite (and main) characters, the book was a HUGE disappointment for me, it didn't feel the same in quality as ANY of previous ASOAIF books.  Then when I was re-reading AFFC somewhere around 2009/2010, while I did like book much better on second try, the afterword (aka next book in a year) gave me my first RAGE day on GRRM, for a while I couldn't even go on this and his websites without having a HUGE anger issues. Was not a good time for me...

Finally, when I've finally gotten to read ADWD, I was disappointed, again, mostly because many of cliffhangers were not resolved at all, and I started to miss, despite myself, those additional POVs.

At this point, if GRRM decides to split the book after all, I'd rather he just split on timeline with ALL characters included and no big cliffhangers where characters are left dying or about to die (aka Jon, Brianne, etc) 

Actually at this point, considering HUGE waiting periods between EACH book, GRRM should really stop having those kind of cliffhangers. Its really crazy to leave character "dead/alive?" cliffhanger and then have resolution come 6 yrs or later. I am totally OK with general cliffhangers that leave characters at the start or middle of something (aka Sam, Sansa, Arya, Dany, Jaime in AFFC/ADWD, Bran (in a ASOS)), its those "about to die" cliffhangers and then huge waiting for resolution annoys me (Jon, Brianne) plus those cliffhangers feel incomplete because they came about after cutting book in half or cutting off major chapters (from ADWD to AWOW 3 battles plus several POVs) 

Eh, there wouldn't really be much of a point to this kind of strategy at this point considering that the full book ought to be finished sometime late this year or early next year.  I really believe he has got to be close to wrapping it up by now, especially if he really felt it possible at one point to deliver the final manuscript to the publisher before the start of GoT season 6.  I don't expect the wait to be any more than another year or so at this point...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As someone who enjoyed both AFFC and ADWD equally, I wouldn't mind but only if they were released at the same time or year. But what I'm confused about is if GRRM split books 4 and 5 because it was too big why was there a 5 year gap between the two? Surely the fact he decided to split it on release was because he had it all completed and decided it was too long? Can someone clear that up please 

On 3/12/2016 at 5:41 PM, The Arthur Smith said:

No. A 1500 page book is fine by all means.

In the US, this wouldn't be an issue. But would they publish an entire book in Europe? I spend a great deal of time in London, and most of the books in the series are split as part 1 and part 2 (at least what I found). Would British or European publishers put out the entire book? 

21 hours ago, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

As someone who enjoyed both AFFC and ADWD equally, I wouldn't mind but only if they were released at the same time or year. But what I'm confused about is if GRRM split books 4 and 5 because it was too big why was there a 5 year gap between the two? Surely the fact he decided to split it on release was because he had it all completed and decided it was too long? Can someone clear that up please 

It is my understanding that to split the books Martin had to change quite a bit and created a giant mess for himself. I think the time was the consequence of finding consistency and ending properly. I don't think it was as simple as ok these POV's FfC, and these pov's DwD. Having said that, it is fair to assume that a healthy portion of winds was in it or intended to be and he had to find the right place to stop.....yet another half decade wait....as the show slowly spoils everything...

6 hours ago, JonisHenryTudor said:

In the US, this wouldn't be an issue. But would they publish an entire book in Europe? I spend a great deal of time in London, and most of the books in the series are split as part 1 and part 2 (at least what I found). Would British or European publishers put out the entire book? 

UK version split Dance, so definitely this count for Winds. But not sure about other European countries.

2 hours ago, The Arthur Smith said:

UK version split Dance, so definitely this count for Winds. But not sure about other European countries.

Do you know how long between publication of part 1 and 2? I can't imagine it  took too long. Otherwise, UK residents could just purchase a copy from Amazon-US and receive the entire volume. 

Sorry for going off topic....

8 minutes ago, JonisHenryTudor said:

Do you know how long between publication of part 1 and 2? I can't imagine it  took too long. Otherwise, UK residents could just purchase a copy from Amazon-US and receive the entire volume. 

Sorry for going off topic....

From what i researched from UK Amazon, both part 1 and 2 were released on the same day, so it should be fine.

Archived