Why didn't Aegon conquer the Summer Isles instead of Westeros?

Falcon2908

Actually, it´s quite seriously the climate and the plagues it causes. Malaria is not an easy thing to deal with in medieval times.

How do we know the Summer Isles had malaria? How do you know that the Targaryens aren't resistant to Malaria?

For a practical first off answer, the navies of the summer isles would spell death for the dragons. Also Westeros is a lot more similar to Old Valyria than the Summer Isles are.

rvOKzgu.pngNope

EDIT: Yes! Forgot that he was on dragonstone

How do I know? Is there any indication that they are? (And before you say that Targs are resistant to plagues ... let me just say:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Great_Spring_Sickness

I'm aware of that, but there's no indication that the summer isles have malaria.

Sothoryos, on the other hand, is full of deadly diseases

I'm aware of that, but there's no indication that the summer isles have malaria.

Sothoryos, on the other hand, is full of deadly diseases

Well, then maybe Aegon was just a racist for not invading the summer isles ;)

Or maybe, it´s because Westeros is larger and would lead to a larger empire.

Or maybe, he wanted to fulfill a prophecy.

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest that Aegon knew some shit. And that the three headed dragon banner / dragon must have three heads / child of three stuff is not a coincidence. He may not have known specifically that there were ice demons in the north that would one day bring about the end of the world, but I think he knew from Daenys' prophecies that the real doom would come from Westeros, and that three Targaryens/dragons would be the only hope of stopping it. 

He also probably knew about Valyria's past attempts to settle on Westeros only to be driven off by the Children of the Forest and their skinchangers. So even if he didn't know about the prophecy stuff, it could have been that he wanted to succeed where his Valyrian forebears had failed.

Aegon wanted to be a King. Would you rather be King of Westeros or King of the Summer isles?

Who wouldn't want to be the King of the Summer Isles?  Nice weather, nice people, open minded people, peaceful people, no winter, no white walkers, etc

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest that Aegon knew some shit. And that the three headed dragon banner / dragon must have three heads / child of three stuff is not a coincidence. He may not have known specifically that there were ice demons in the north that would one day bring about the end of the world, but I think he knew from Daenys' prophecies that the real doom would come from Westeros, and that three Targaryens/dragons would be the only hope of stopping it. 

He also probably knew about Valyria's past attempts to settle on Westeros only to be driven off by the Children of the Forest and their skinchangers. So even if he didn't know about the prophecy stuff, it could have been that he wanted to succeed where his Valyrian forebears had failed.

this is that statement is not true or likely, not only do we not have evidence for skin changers taking dragons.

(such an ability sure would have helped against the First men and andals warlords) 

The time line does not fit either. As Valyria was founded after the long night, the First men had already sent the children into a decline by that time. 

by the time settling on westeros was in any way feasible for the empire (after they took western essos) the andlas had already fled from Essos and Valyria expansion and landed and put any children above the wall to the sword. 

Archived