Why didn't Aegon conquer the Summer Isles instead of Westeros?

Falcon2908

The Summer Islanders are not a peaceful people if you're trying to conquer them. Are you sure you're not thinking of Naath?

Have you read the TWOIAF section of the Summer Isles? They're indeed peaceful people. Their wars are entirely ceremonial. 

Do you think the Westerosi are better? 

this is that statement is not true or likely, not only do we not have evidence for skin changers taking dragons.

(such an ability sure would have helped against the First men and andals warlords) 

We don't have any reason to think that a skinchanger wouldn't be able to take control of a dragon either. It seems to me in the end they're animals. While Martin could end up establishing that their magical nature prevents such a bond, he certainly hasn't yet. 

I'm not sure how being able to control dragons would have helped against the First Men and the Andals, because those groups were not attacking them with dragons. If there were dragons in Westeros when they invaded then sure, the Children could have used them. But we have no evidence that there were dragons in Westeros during this time.

Though it does make me wonder if the children ever tried skinchanging into the Andal knight's horses and causing havoc.

The time line does not fit either. As Valyria was founded after the long night, the First men had already sent the children into a decline by that time. 

You are correct, I should have said First Men and Children. While the Children were in decline at that point, we know some were still around. We also know that the First Men also acquired skinchanging abilities over time. 

So you and Rumham are saying that the Targaryens shifted to Westeros to save the world?

That's what I think, yeah. If Daenys predicted the Doom of Valyria, whose to say what else she predicted? I think the "Dragon must have three heads" stuff that Rhaegar was on about probably came from her prophecies. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was very confused by this thread. When was Aegon on Dragonstone?? I thought he landed at Cape Wrath and went to Griffin's Roost. Got through 4 or 5 replies before I realized you were talking about the Conquest of Aegon I also known as Aegon the Conqueror. 300 years ago, instead of current events of the story (when Aegon VI just landed in Westeros).

Anyway, why did Aegon I conquer Westeros? Because he was in Westeros (Dragonstone), and Argilac Dondarrion cut off the hands of his emissary, which led to him starting the war of conquest.

Why didn't he conquer Summer Isles? Or indeed other places in Essos, Ulthos, or Sothoryos? I think Westeros kept him and his sisters pretty busy. They still hadn't successfully conquered Dorne by the time their reign ended.

8 hours ago, ziggurism said:

I was very confused by this thread. When was Aegon on Dragonstone?? I thought he landed at Cape Wrath and went to Griffin's Roost. Got through 4 or 5 replies before I realized you were talking about the Conquest of Aegon I also known as Aegon the Conqueror. 300 years ago, instead of current events of the story.

Anyway, why did Aegon I conquer Westeros? Because he was in Westeros (Dragonstone), and Argilac Dondarrion cut off the hands of his emissary, which led to him starting the war of conquest.

Why didn't he conquer Summer Isles? Or indeed other places in Essos, Ulthos, or Sothoryos? I think Westeros kept him and his sisters pretty busy. They still hadn't successfully conquered Dorne by the time their reign ended.

Argilac cutting his emissaries' hands off was used as a justification, but Aegon had been planning on a Westerosi conquest for years prior.

• 3 weeks later...

Several Reasons.

A. Westeros was far more familiar and closer to the Targaryen's at Dragonstone.

B. Westeros was significantly larger and would have far greater rewards regarding resources, and if he accomplished, he'd have far more people and land under his domain, thus increasing his power. 

C. The Summer Isles are constantly harassed by slavers and other foreign powers, far more than Westeros, (which was pretty isolate) at the time of his Conquest) if Aegon had control of the Summer Isles, he would be facing foreign invaders almost immediately. 

D. A conquest of the Summer Isles would be significantly more difficult, and entirely reliant on his dragons. Although dragons did in fact win him the Iron Throne and assuming Aegon could conquer with solely dragons, he'd be disposed almost immediately. Aegon would have no way of landing an actual host loyal to him, because of the Summer Islanders superior naval power. Aegon wouldn't be able to enforce his rule with soldiers and his dragons would probably be murdered or rendered useless one way or another and Aegon would have zero power. 

Aegon chose Westeros because his family had lived off it's coast for years and he'd probably realised it was ripe for the taking. Years and years gathering intel on the place, waiting until just the right time and knowing you could literally walk over the top of any opposition would be too tempting to ignore. He'd planed for this and he knew he could win.

The Summer Islands on the other hand are far, far to the south and probably worth little to any would be empire builder. Attacking them, let alone invading and conquering them would have been a huge task given the distance they are from and other land mass. He'd have to rely almost entirely on sea based invasion tactics and be at the mercy of the seas and pirates, raiders etc who were known to stalk that area. It would have been a very messy invasion, even with dragons.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6 januari 2016 at 10:15 AM, Falcon2908 said:

I thought Valyria was afraid of conquering Westeros because of the Daynes/Hightowers (The real Geo-Dawnians, at one point they were dragonlords)

I can agree on the Daynes, but what makes you say this about the Hightowers? Is it the fact that Alerie has silvery hair or that Lynesse supposedly looks somewhat like Daenerys? Are any Hightowers described as having purple eyes?

• 1 month later...

Archived