Nitpicking: The Next Generation

TrackerNeil

I am totally excited to announce the debut of "Nitpicking: The Next Generation." In this weekly podcast, Daniel Ravipinto and Neil McGarry (that's me) will examine each episode of "Star Trek: The Next Generation", praise the good, poke at the bad, and really have at the ugly. The first episode "Encounter at Farpoint, Parts 1 and 2" is available on our web site and on iTunes.

The podcast is totally free, but if you like what you hear, please do recommend the podcast to other fans (or detractors) of "The Next Generation."

So please do join us every Monday morning as we go where everyone has gone before!

You're doing it in order? You will have to go through all of season 1 and a chunk of season 2 before you get to any decent episodes. You poor souls.

That was my very first thought. I hope you have a sizeable alcohol budget, otherwise you're going to go insane.

You're doing it in order? You will have to go through all of season 1 and a chunk of season 2 before you get to any decent episodes. You poor souls.

Amnesty International is monitoring the situation.

Nice!

Not sure if you're looking to (eventually) have guests on your show, but my friend did the same thing you're doing (watching ST:TNG in order) and then wrote a haiku for each episode. http://tnghaikus.tumblr.com/

Oh my gosh--I love these! Actually, we will have guests later on...if you like this friend would be interested in guest-starring, have her get in touch with us. (The contact info is on our Web site.)

By way of explanation, Dan and I have a real affection for TNG, and we give credit where it's due, but the show has got its problems. We take particular exception to some of the problems of diversity, treatment of women, etc., so I suppose our commentary has a definite progressive bent. But give a listen and please do feel free to provide feedback--if we're missing something, we want to not miss it.

This is weird, I just started watching TNG last November.

I'm four episodes into season 3.

My God, the season 2 finale....

What's the point of Riker? And why is supposed to be a badass ladies man when he looks so stiff and awkward?

If Wesley was such a prodigy (he flies a the most state of the art ship in Starfleet and saves the day on several occasions) wouldn't he be studied by The Federation for any traces of evolutionary improvement/mutations or something like that? The guy can do things that people with a Starfleet Academy education and years of experience cannot do.

Finally, Pulaski wasn't that bad. I think I missed the explanation as to why she was let go and Krusher came back.

Just listened to the first episode, entertaining throughout and raised some good points. Nice job!

I'll be back for the next episode.

I agree with you on both points that the show should get its share of credit and it also has its problems. The older I get the more I notice these problems and don't have as blind an eye to them as I did when I was a teenager.

I recognize now the show had episodes with messages that were hamfisted, arrogant, poorly done, or out right conveying the wrong message, but that being said I think it was being exposed to the culture overall when I went to Trek conventions and such, just by a common interest in the franchise I was exposed to an overall philosophy of diversity, equality in gender, race, sexual orientation that had a profound effect on shaping who I am.

Finally, Pulaski wasn't that bad. I think I missed the explanation as to why she was let go and Krusher came back.

From what I understand, Gates McFadden, the actress that played Crusher, was fired by the main show runner during seasons 1 and 2, not Roddenberry, but Maurice Hurley I believe.

By the end of season 2 (You can also thank Hurley for writing that finale BTW) he left the show. Apparently none of the cast got along with the actress who played Pulaski and with Hurley gone, they brought Crusher back.

Just listened to the first episode, entertaining throughout and raised some good points. Nice job!

I'll be back for the next episode.

I agree with you on both points that the show should get its share of credit and it also has its problems. The older I get the more I notice these problems and don't have as blind an eye to them as I did when I was a teenager.

I recognize now the show had episodes with messages that were hamfisted, arrogant, poorly done, or out right conveying the wrong message, but that being said I think it was being exposed to the culture overall when I went to Trek conventions and such, just by a common interest in the franchise I was exposed to an overall philosophy of diversity, equality in gender, race, sexual orientation that had a profound effect on shaping who I am.

Glad you liked it.

Don't get me wrong; I am quite appreciative of the effect TNG had on people. In fact, I'd say we criticize because we think it could have gone much, much further--and with a new series in prospect, it still can. And we love that there is a Trek sub-culture that spans the world. So please never, ever think Dan or I hates "Star Trek." We nitpick because we love. :wub:

From what I understand, Gates McFadden, the actress that played Crusher, was fired by the main show runner during seasons 1 and 2, not Roddenberry, but Maurice Hurley I believe.

By the end of season 2 (You can also thank Hurley for writing that finale BTW) he left the show. Apparently none of the cast got along with the actress who played Pulaski and with Hurley gone, they brought Crusher back.

What was the reason given within the mythos of the show?

Like, was Krusher demoted or did Pulaski retire?

I guess it hasn't been explained or I just missed it.

What was the reason given within the mythos of the show?

Like, was Krusher demoted or did Pulaski retire?

I guess it hasn't been explained or I just missed it.

I'm pretty sure they explain in the season two premier that she took a promotion back on Earth. What they don't do a great job of explaining is why Wesley didn't go with her when she left. He's still on the ship at that point and they're supposed to  be taking him to his mother, but then he decides to remain on the Enterprise during that episode.

I recall being quite fond of Pulaski, though we're only just approaching the end of season one on our rewatch, so it's been a looong time since I've actually seen her. The show has it's problems, but it's fun, and even the worst episodes are pretty watchable.

I'm pretty sure they explain in the season two premier that she took a promotion back on Earth. What they don't do a great job of explaining is why Wesley didn't go with her when she left. He's still on the ship at that point and they're supposed to  be taking him to his mother, but then he decides to remain on the Enterprise during that episode.

Oh, I know that Krusher was named head of Starfleet medical. I just could never figure out why, in the context of the Star Trek universe, she came to the Enterprise after season 2 and replaced Pulaski.

Oh, I know that Krusher was named head of Starfleet medical. I just could never figure out why, in the context of the Star Trek universe, she came to the Enterprise after season 2 and replaced Pulaski.

Oh no they never explained why she came back. At least not beyond "It's good to be together with Wesley again."

Oh yeah, the CGI comment was going to be my nitpick, too. I got the impression that you guys referred to exterior shots of the ship as showing off the CGI, but TNG used models for all the spaceships throughout its run. It's only in the later years of DS9 that Trek made the switch to CGI spaceships.

Archived