Nitpicking: The Next Generation

TrackerNeil

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 11:31 AM, TrackerNeil said:

On this week's Nitpicking: The Next Generation, the Enterprise crew encounters another omnipotent being who attempts to make their heads explodes, both figuratively and literally. 

Have to say I'm really enjoying these. I've come to increasingly look forward to Mondays for each new episode.

As to what a Klingon accountant looks like?

I'd say look no further than Arne Darvin (Charlie Brill) the Klingon as human infliltrator from Trouble with Tribbles and Trials and Tribbleations.

I don't know how much ahead of time you do these episodes but a bit of trivia for "The Outrageous Okona" George Burns was original offered the role of the great comedian but he turned it down so they went with...Joe Piscopo.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, that's like offering a gig to Bruce Springsteen and when he won't do it then getting Kenny G.

21 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

I don't know how much ahead of time you do these episodes but a bit of trivia for "The Outrageous Okona" George Burns was original offered the role of the great comedian but he turned it down so they went with...Joe Piscopo.

Criminy. Who was third on the list?

(Thanks for your kind words, BTW. We have loads of fun recording these, so I am glad people enjoy listening.)

29 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

Criminy. Who was third on the list?

(Thanks for your kind words, BTW. We have loads of fun recording these, so I am glad people enjoy listening.)

Gallagher?

YVW keep up the good job!

Geordie's sudden attack of romantic feelings for the good old days is kind of in line with one of Trek's more troubling issues. For all that Star Trek presents a utopian future society, there's a strange thread of technophobia and romanticisation of a "simpler, better" past that runs through the franchise. When it comes to the fore you usually get really crappy stories, like Insurrection. Even in stories where the luddite of the day is the villain, there's usually a sense that we're supposed to be thinking that they kind of do have a point, like in DS9's Paradise.

I go back and forth between thinking that the glaring design flaws when it comes to the Entereprise's systems are just the writers being lazy when looking for ways to propel the plot forward, and thinking that it's an expression of Clarke's famous statement about sufficiently advanced technology being indistinguishable from magic. Which would mean that Star Trek technology is too advanced for Trek writers to grasp.

On 7/12/2016 at 2:15 AM, Jon AS said:

Geordie's sudden attack of romantic feelings for the good old days is kind of in line with one of Trek's more troubling issues. For all that Star Trek presents a utopian future society, there's a strange thread of technophobia and romanticisation of a "simpler, better" past that runs through the franchise. When it comes to the fore you usually get really crappy stories, like Insurrection. Even in stories where the luddite of the day is the villain, there's usually a sense that we're supposed to be thinking that they kind of do have a point, like in DS9's Paradise.

I cannot agree with this strongly enough, and it's often true of the fantasy genre as well. Dan and I wrote a paper on this that's due to appear in a textbook this fall, and at that time I'll post it on Peccable if the publisher allows. Until then, I'll just say it is truly amazing just how conservative TNG really was.

I kinda like "Unnatural Selection" insofar as it's a good showcase for Pulaski, a character that's always been pretty underrated in my mind (even if they do try to make her echo Bones a bit too much with the transporter aversion). Although, I might like her simply because - unlike many of her crewmates - she has something resembling a real personality. 

Unfortunately, it's not just the magic transporter solution that undermines the episode. Later TNG and especially DS9 will establish that genetic engineering on humans is illegal in the Federation, so the "Children" in this episode don't really fit into that continuity. It would have been interesting if a subsequent episode had referenced them in that way. 

The other problem is that - if I'm to understand it - the nature of this "infection" makes no sense. Even if somehow the Children's antibodies could become "airborne", antibodies don't actually destroy anything (though they may "neutralize" pathogens). They mainly just attach to antigens on foreign (or sometimes host) cells or particles ("opsonization") so that they can be attacked by various white cells (especially macrophages) and destroyed ("phagocytosis"). What's more, in order to produce antibodies, a matching B cell first needs to encounter the antigen, after which it will "present" its digested antigen to a nearby Th cell, so that the Th cell can stimulate the B cell to multiply and mature into plasma cells, which will then produce clonal antibodies for those matching antigens. 

Later on, those antibodies won't be so effective at eliminating viruses or much of anything else in the air because you need white cells and complement particles and all sorts of other things in blood to actually do it. Of course, even if we allow for this antibody-mediated disease process, it makes little sense that it would affect Pulaski in minutes. For that matter, if the problem is "bad antibodies", why did no one in this episode suggest our 21st century treatment for this? Actually... we've had plasmapheresis and exchange since in the 1960s. But I don't think it would have been as dramatic if we'd seen Pulaski get a dialysis line and then slowly get better while they did a few PLEX treatments. (Also "altering DNA" doesn't cause "aging"). 

42 minutes ago, Jon AS said:

Ah, finally another awful episode...

...of TNG for you guys to rip into!

So is that Feminist Worf Twitter going to be a thing? Because I'd totally read that.

"Up the Long Ladder" is still to come. As to Feminist Worf, I'll leave that to Cynthia Taylor, who originated the idea. But I'd follow that, too.

Archived