Nitpicking: The Next Generation

TrackerNeil

Thinking I am not alone now. When I was a teenager watching these shows I was really into them. Now I occasionally watch an episode on BBC America and think, wow, that was corny.

Really like the character of Q and the Borg as a whole. Those elements of TNG still appeal to me.

The corniness of some of those earlier episodes is part of the charm. 

Did anyone else ever read the "Nitpicker's Guides" by Phil Farrand? He covered all of TNG (and Star Trek: Generations) in two volumes, along with TOS, DS9 inclusive to the fourth season, and the X-Files too (until season five?) They were "comfort reading" for me when I was growing up, and later I discovered his website and discussion forum that I spent some time at, oh, 12 years ago or so. How time passes. 

Once upon a time I also remember taping large numbers of select TNG and DS9 episodes for my friend to watch. Took me literally months to compile them... and now everything is available streaming within seconds. 

Sometimes I kinda miss the pre-internet simplicity of the 90s. 

Did anyone else ever read the "Nitpicker's Guides" by Phil Farrand? He covered all of TNG (and Star Trek: Generations) in two volumes, along with TOS, DS9 inclusive to the fourth season, and the X-Files too (until season five?) They were "comfort reading" for me when I was growing up, and later I discovered his website and discussion forum that I spent some time at, oh, 12 years ago or so. How time passes. 

Once upon a time I also remember taping large numbers of select TNG and DS9 episodes for my friend to watch. Took me literally months to compile them... and now everything is available streaming within seconds. 

Sometimes I kinda miss the pre-internet simplicity of the 90s. 

I've got a cabinet full of VHS tapes every episode of TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, the movies, the animated series, specials, and so many other series.

Oh I lived those books.  Still have all of them. I didn't know about the forum though! 

Oh I lived those books.  Still have all of them. I didn't know about the forum though! 

I was even a moderator at the forum. I don't think it's very active anymore, possibly not unrelated to the fact that it's using the same software from 2002.

In defense of the 2nd season I was going to bring up "Measure of a Man" as well, as it is usually in most top 10 lists you see, and I've even seen it rated as the best episode in the series by some.  It certainly is a fan favorite, while not as popular as "The Inner Light", which hands down gets the most "number one" votes for TNG, it is one of my personal favorites of TNG, and Brent Spiner really did a fantastic job in this first true "Data" episode. 

I think at some point in humanity's future, this episode will be looked back at and be considered very prescient.

Anyhow, I'll tune in OP, I have a friend who has a YT channel based on Star Trek called "TrekYards", which is an up and coming channel, growing quickly, and has had dozens of great guest from the Star Trek world, actors, producers, writers, artists, you name it.  I'll link this post to him and ask him to give you a shout out on a future episode, or perhaps consider being a guest on his show.  Check it out, you'll be shocked at the quality of guests he's had for such a small Canadian/British channel.  It's grown exponentially in the last few months, and now would be a great time for both of your ventures IMO for some cross promotion.  Just an idea, take it for what it's worth.

Also, when your project ends, I'd look forward to a Deep Space 9 series based on the same idea as you TNG podcast.

Ok, I've finished your first 2 episodes, I think you have good chemistry and work well together.  This has potential.  I do think that moving or adding youtube as an outlet would be very benificial to you in terms of viewership numbers.  I realize that making videos is more work, but at least with a channel on YT you could link to podcasts, and do say 1 out of 4 or 5 episodes in "youtube" video mode, putting up cut scenes and pictures from the show of the situations you're describing/nit picking.  I think that would be a real positive move forward, which when looking at the work/time to payoff ratio, would greatly, greatly benefit you guys.  You had me laughing a lot in the "Naked Now" when describing the Tasha Yar outfits and Data/seduction encounter. 

Good work, keep it up, I look forward to more episodes. 

So I had TNG on in the background and just saw an episode with a bunch of colonists on a planet that belongs by treaty to some sort of alien race that doesn't respect human life.  There's about 20,000 colonists on the planet after four generations and Picard is trying to figure out how to evacuate them all.  He has Geordi and O'Brien in his ready room and he's trying to figure out if he can transport the people out of the Tau Cigna system.  But Miles doesn't have a line there, Geordi does all the talking.  Wondering if that's Obrien's first episode...

...and then the next scene in the transporter room, Miles just mutters under his breath but doesn't have actual lines.

Loved that guy in The Commitments.

Ok, I've finished your first 2 episodes, I think you have good chemistry and work well together.  This has potential.  I do think that moving or adding youtube as an outlet would be very benificial to you in terms of viewership numbers.  I realize that making videos is more work, but at least with a channel on YT you could link to podcasts, and do say 1 out of 4 or 5 episodes in "youtube" video mode, putting up cut scenes and pictures from the show of the situations you're describing/nit picking.  I think that would be a real positive move forward, which when looking at the work/time to payoff ratio, would greatly, greatly benefit you guys.  You had me laughing a lot in the "Naked Now" when describing the Tasha Yar outfits and Data/seduction encounter. 

Good work, keep it up, I look forward to more episodes. 

Thanks for the kind words, and for the suggestion. Although moving to YouTube would mean I have to actually look presentable while I'm at the mic. ;)

(Any and all shout-outs are also appreciated.)

Archived