Ashara Dayne

Jon Snow Nothing

On December 30, 2016 at 2:33 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I know.

I know, even if he hasn't seen her.

And so, GRRM has given us two very beautiful people in the series that are quite intimately connected. Ashara was Elia's beautiful lady in waiting, as well as the sister of Rhae's bff. She makes a lot more sense as the dutiful prince's paramour than a 14 year old betrothed to his cousin. Just sayin.

Then, we have Dany... who has seen herself die at the Trident while wearing Rhaegar's armor, and has seen Rhaegar speak a woman's name with his final breath (yes, I think it was "Ashara"). These seem like odd events for Dany to witness unless they are related to her

What seals the deal, for me, is this passage. Keep an open mind, and imagine with me that Ashara Dayne is standing where you might expect Elia's lady in waiting to stand . . . in the doorway. 

"He has a song," the man replied. "He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." He looked up when he said it and his eyes met Dany's, and it seemed as if he saw her standing there beyond the door. "There must be one more," he said, though whether he was speaking to her or the woman in the bed she could not say. "The dragon has three heads." He went to the window seat, picked up a harp, and ran his fingers lightly over its silvery strings. Sweet sadness filled the room as man and wife and babe faded like the morning mist, only the music lingering behind to speed her on her way.  

I believe that Dany is seeing through her mother's violet eyes, and that Rhaegar is looking at his paramour, Ashara Dayne. 

If any of my speculation piques anyone's interest, this little lightbulb came from a discussion in this thread:cheers:

On Mon Jan 04 2016 at 9:00 PM, Jon Snow Nothing said:

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first topic, sorry if this has been discussed multiple times, but I read the books a long time ago and only now I'm re-reading them.

Along with Rhaegar T. and Lyanna S., there is a character whose "mystery" I think it's quite interesting. Ashara Dayne was beautiful, one of the young companions of Princess Elia at court. She conquered Barristan's heart, but he was too shy to declare for her (and I can't see why he would, since he was a KG and couldn't get married).

So, what do you think happened to her?

1) Who dishonored her at the tourney at Harrenhal?

2) If she got pregnant, did she leave court? But how does Barristan know she had a stillborn daughter? Gossip?

3) Do you think the person who "dishonored" her was the father of her baby? Could it be Brandon Stark?

4) If it was Brandon Stark, do you think maybe the "abduction" of Lyanna, right before Brandon was going to get married to Catelyn, has something to do with it?

5) Arthur Dayne was a KG and one of the few people who could be called Rhaegar's friend. Do you think they would have tried to "repair" the situation?

6) Do you think she might be alive, since her body has never been found?

Sorry if it sounds confusing, I just wanted to read what do you guys think of this character. I have a feeling she's more important than we might think.

1) I think it was Ned who "dishonoured" Ashara. I've always liked the theory that Ned and Ashara fell in love. 

2) I would say yes she left court after she realised she was pregnant or when she was about to show. 

3) I believe whoever "dishonoured" Ashara is the father of her baby. Again I believe this to be Ned. 

4 ) I think the "kidnap" of Lyanna was inevitable. I think Rhaegar and Lyanna fell in love at Harrenhal and it was already decided they'd meet again at some point. 

5) Sorry not sure what you mean by repair the situation. 

6) I'm a big believer of Ashara still being alive. She seems important to the plot in someway and especially important to the tourney of Harrenhal. There's so many theories out there for who her child could be. She also seems connected to Ned and Dany in some way. I guess we won't find out until Winds and Dream come out 

Ashara was most likely an airhead, I think it'll be confirmed when we learn more about what happened between her and the loser/poor man's Robert  that is Brandon Stark.

Tbh I understand why Ned felt so close to Robert, he's basically the exact same as Brandon but in much better, better fighter, better leader, more charismatic, more successful.

On 1/4/2016 at 2:00 PM, Jon Snow Nothing said:

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first topic, sorry if this has been discussed multiple times, but I read the books a long time ago and only now I'm re-reading them.

Along with Rhaegar T. and Lyanna S., there is a character whose "mystery" I think it's quite interesting. Ashara Dayne was beautiful, one of the young companions of Princess Elia at court. She conquered Barristan's heart, but he was too shy to declare for her (and I can't see why he would, since he was a KG and couldn't get married).

So, what do you think happened to her?

1) Who dishonored her at the tourney at Harrenhal?

2) If she got pregnant, did she leave court? But how does Barristan know she had a stillborn daughter? Gossip?

3) Do you think the person who "dishonored" her was the father of her baby? Could it be Brandon Stark?

4) If it was Brandon Stark, do you think maybe the "abduction" of Lyanna, right before Brandon was going to get married to Catelyn, has something to do with it?

5) Arthur Dayne was a KG and one of the few people who could be called Rhaegar's friend. Do you think they would have tried to "repair" the situation?

6) Do you think she might be alive, since her body has never been found?

Sorry if it sounds confusing, I just wanted to read what do you guys think of this character. I have a feeling she's more important than we might think.

1-3.  I think she was sexually involved with Ned, probably at Harrenhal.  I think it is a parallel to Barbrey Ryswell and Brandon, in that I think they were expecting to marry later, but the war intervened and turned their plans upside down.  I believe that she got pregnant, but I'm not sure if the child was stillborn or is really Allyria.  In any case, I would guess Barristan got gossip on the subject.

4-5.  Not really applicable, although I think Ashara was heavily involved in the whole TOJ scenario.

6.  A suicide attempt and no body?  In a story like this one?  Of course she is alive!  I've no idea what she is doing (OK, I think she is Septa Lemore), but I would bet money that she is still alive.  My personal guess is that the suicide attempt was real, but failed, and she decided to remake herself.

Archived