The Jade Compendium: how did Aemon now?

In AFFC Sam brings Aemon the so called Jade Compendium, which the Maester wants to give to Jon. 

He states that there is a passage marked, which might be interesting for him. 

It is the legend of Azor Ahai. What does that say about Maester Aemon? Does he believe that Jon is Azor Ahai or does he want Jon to read it in order to realize that Stannis is not? 

What are your thoughts on this?

Aemon can tell from recent events (wights) that the Long Night may be coming again so he's giving Jon what info he can about the previous one.

Part of that is surely to help Jon recognize that Stannis isn't the hero Mel claims he is.

In AFFC Sam brings Aemon the so called Jade Compendium, which the Maester wants to give to Jon. 

He states that there is a passage marked, which might be interesting for him. 

It is the legend of Azor Ahai. What does that say about Maester Aemon? Does he believe that Jon is Azor Ahai or does he want Jon to read it in order to realize that Stannis is not? 

What are your thoughts on this?

Aemon is one of the few people in Westeros who may have been able to piece together Jon's parentage. He has intimate knowledge of the Targaryen family and of Jon, but he isn't thrown off by Jon's Stark appearance. He also may still be in contact with Bloodraven and thus the Weirnet. There's nothing definite, of course, but if did he suspect that Jon was Rhaegar's son, then he would naturally consider Jon as a possibility for AAR (as he once believed Rhaegar was.)

Aemon is one of the few people in Westeros who may have been able to piece together Jon's parentage. He has intimate knowledge of the Targaryen family and of Jon, but he isn't thrown off by Jon's Stark appearance. He also may still be in contact with Bloodraven and thus the Weirnet. There's nothing definite, of course, but if did he suspect that Jon was Rhaegar's son, then he would naturally consider Jon as a possibility for AAR (as he once believed Rhaegar was.)

But to me that seems like a big realisation, say Aemon did think Jon could be AAR why didn't he tell him straight away? Why did he give him such rather vague hints?

Jon actually states:"The pages told of Azor Ahai.[...]" (ADwD Jon III)

And they do, but aryagonnakill is absolutely right. The point Aemon wanted to make to Jon is that Stannis' Lightbringer isn't real. If Aemon believed Jon was Azor Ahai, he probably wouldn't have concluded that Daenerys was a few chapters later. 

The Jade Compendium. The pages that told of Azor Ahai. Lightbringer was his sword. Tempered with his wife's blood if Votar can be believed. Thereafter Lightbringer was never cold to the touch, but warm as Nissa Nissa had been warm. In battle the blade burned fiery hot. Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust the sword through the belly of the beast, its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks, and its body burst into flame."
Clydas blinked. "A sword that makes its own heat …"
"… would be a fine thing on the Wall." Jon put aside his wine cup and drew on his black moleskin gloves. "A pity that the sword that Stannis wields is cold. I'll be curious to see how his Lightbringer behaves in battle. 

But to me that seems like a big realisation, say Aemon did think Jon could be AAR why didn't he tell him straight away? Why did he give him such rather vague hints?

For the same reason Quaithe didn't just told Dany "look, there is a guy called Griff who is bringing a fake Targaryen. Don't trust them".

I think it was his way of showing Jon the Stannis is not what his men ( and in particular Mel) believe him to be. His soldiers might be easily swayed by a flaming sword, in the same way people at the tourney were impressed by Thoros' sword, but real learned people like Aemon aren't so stupid.

He's basically warning Jon to be aware that Stannis believe himself to be the hero reborn, or at least his people do, and that could push him to do extreme things. It's all a warning to Jon.

If Aemon really did know who Jon's parents were I think he'd probably try to tell him or at the very least tell Sam when he knew he was dying so he might pass it on to Jon later. He clearly saw Jon & Sam as friends and as two people who should be trusted with important tasks and information.

I don't think Aemon knew of Jon's parentage.  Its tragic really.....I like Aemon and would have liked to see the pride in his eyes to know that Jon was of his blood.

Is there bad blood between Bloodraven and Aemon?  Certainly one would expect communication between them....but it seems that the "bloodraven crow" spends all his time with Mormont and then with Jon.

Back to the OP original question...I really think that the Jade Compendium reference was to warn Jon that Stannis did not possess the real Lightbringer and that he was in all probability a fraud.

GRRM may have made Aemon blind for a reason. If he could see, he may have been able to see subtle traces of his Targ heritage that only a Targaryen could recognize...after all, it has been quite some time since there were a large number of Targ family members for comparison. Aemon would have had numerous relatives as examples.

I don't disagree that the practical point was that Stannis's sword is not warm to the touch...

But there is also the whole sacrifice to save the world bit, we are all assuming that this story is literal, actual flaming sword that was forged by a man killing his beloved wife. And it very well could be. However, it also fits in nicely with Aemons whole kill the boy, love is the death of honor, duty over family rigmarole.

Jon did just choose to leave his lover (who then died) for duty. And the nights watch (along with the kingsguard) are all about sacrificing family for duty. I shall take no wife...

I can't help but think that Aemon wanted Jon to read the Jade Compendium for more than the truth about Stannis's stupid sword. Aemon knew the Others were coming, he knew they were on the precipice of the War for the Dawn, and he knew Jon was going to be the leader on the front line. Stannis's sword seems kinda irrelevant.

I can't help but think that Aemon wanted Jon to read the Jade Compendium for more than the truth about Stannis's stupid sword. Aemon knew the Others were coming, he knew they were on the precipice of the War for the Dawn, and he knew Jon was going to be the leader on the front line. Stannis's sword seems kinda irrelevant.

Not irrelevant if Aemon meant for Jon to have ALL the knowledge of the entire tale.  Stannis' stupid sword and his Red witch should not be trusted.  The tale of AA relates directly to the crisis at hand.   The sword can't just be glamoured.  A huge sacrifice must be made.   A big nasty ass fight is coming, son.   The whole story.   Aemon absolutely expected Jon to be at the forefront of that battle.   

That's really cool and all but, Aemon literally died thinking about Dany being AAR/PTWP/THD. 

It makes a lot MORE sense that this is about showing us that it is not Stannis or Dany but Jon due to so many signs pointing towards him. Hell, Aemon even tells Jon to kill the boy and let the man be born, blatant foreshadowing towards Jon dying then being reborn as AA.

Archived