GRRM fans are annoying

Sour Billy Tipton

The overwhelming majority of people who voiced sympathy towards George this week were simply sheep.

I don't know GRRM but he's a great writer and seems like a great man.  And I'm not upset at GRRM; he wasn't looking for sympathy.  He took responsibility for failing to meet his deadlines as he should have.

But this ridiculous outpouring of affection for a complete stranger who has repeatedly failed to accomplish his job is beyond irritating to me.  I know all of the cliche phrases people say about this subject:

GRRM is not your bitch

You can't rush a masterpiece 

Art is not a democracy

GRRM doesn't owe you anything

I agree with all of those statements but people aren't realistic.  GRRM owes finishing this series to himself above all and to his editors and publishers.  Art is not a democracy but it's a business.  People are relying on him to finish this before the popularity of the series begins to decrease (which is relatively soon) as the show is now closer to the end.  Hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake and people's jobs and livelihood are on the line.  How would any of you feel if you were an intern hoping to earn a job at one of his publishing houses only to find out they won't be hiring you because they've learned TWOW isn't coming out in 2015?  Or if you owned a small bookstore (lord knows there aren't many left) and you're struggling to pay rent every month.

I'm empathetic towards him because he does realize his failures to finish his novel effects a lot of job security for many people.  But I don't feel sympathy for him.  George is very successful and deservant of his fame and fortune, he doesn't need your pity he's a grown man.  All of you people who showered him with compliments and told him it's ok for him to fail to meet his deadlines need to think back a few weeks ago and contemplate what you'd do if UPS/Federal Express/USPS... failed to meet their delivery estimates on your package in time for Christmas.  You would not feel sympathy towards them and some of you would go so far to call for their jobs.  So please before you start trying to kiss up to a stranger who is enjoying life to the fullest and procrastinating the most important job of his life; just consider the situation and don't be like all the other sheep.  And that goes for the rude sheep who go on to say cruel and morbid things towards GRRM.

And one other note...

I have no interest in replying to this post and will not reply.  It's been years since I've posted anything on this site.  Mainly because the lack of TWOW made my interest wane.  But also due to the PC members of these forums who try to spin anything into a debate on feminism or some other subject or group they are partial or affiliated to.  Please form your own opinions, stay on topic, and be respectful towards eachother.  Happy New Year!

In my humble opinion, I think the fact that GRRM took around 2 years to write each of the first three books in the series and then like 5 years or so to finish Feast and Dance means that not only you can effectively rush art, but also that sometimes you should.

I agree with the general sentiment that GRRM should've finished before the show for himself and his legacy. It's gotta sting that the J.K. Rowling who "stole" his Hugo already has a secure spot in the sci fi/fantasy canon by virtue of having at least completed her series, while GRRM's place in the pantheon is, well, uncertain as it is.

GRRM needs to learn and comprise. If he insist on traveling so much. Bust out Microsoft Word on a lap top and write.... If not Winds then write / edit all of the other nonsense he seems obligated to do. He can mix business with pleasure...  Not every trip needs to be a care free vacation.

To me it just feels like he has not been very motivated to write Winds after his experience with Dance. And then only this past year he pressed the "o shit button" and lit that fire under his ass.

well then I can only imagine what awaits him this time around. Winds is sure to disappoint, as, given the momentum of the hype these days and an already disgruntled fanbase, it'd be impossible for the reality to live up to the expectation. See: Star Wars XVII

to say the least, I was disgusted by George's New Year's blog post. His remorselessness is astounding.

For years my readers have been ahead of the viewers. This year, for some things, the reverse will be true. How you want to handle that... hey, that's up to you

That's an author...the champion of the supremacy of the written word...telling you that he's fine with Tweedle-Dan & Tweedle-Dave unveiling the finale of his magnum opus for him. In a television show. He's a Mad King. and the King can do as he likes.

I think Winds will disappoint.  I've been prepared to be disappointed for at least a year now.

Im not sure fan outpourings of 'don't worry George, take your time' is helpful.  He already takes his time, strings along his publisher, makes wild promises he must know he can't keep...maybe he would be better served by his fans being ANGRY and telling him so.  

Hardly subpar. It was nominated and won some awards and has 4.3 out of 5 on Goodreads from almost 18k reviews.

LMAO, as if some awards and freaking Goodreads were true indicators of quality. Twilight has almost 4 stars from more than 3 million ratings that dwarf the 300k of Dance. Are you sure you wanna play using that standard? 

LMAO, as if some awards and freaking Goodreads were true indicators of quality. Twilight has almost 4 stars from more than 3 million ratings that dwarf the 300k of Dance. Are you sure you wanna play using that standard? 

Sure.

I have never read Twlight or watched the films so I can't really comment on their quality* but if that is the reviews it has then it must be successful in whatever genre it is in.

edit: Just looked, Twlight has 3.6 out of 5 compared to  4.3. for ADWD

*I take it you have and that is why you can say what you think of their quality.

The overwhelming majority of people who voiced sympathy towards George this week were simply sheep.

I don't know GRRM but he's a great writer and seems like a great man.  And I'm not upset at GRRM; he wasn't looking for sympathy.  He took responsibility for failing to meet his deadlines as he should have.

But this ridiculous outpouring of affection for a complete stranger who has repeatedly failed to accomplish his job is beyond irritating to me.  I know all of the cliche phrases people say about this subject:

GRRM is not your bitch

You can't rush a masterpiece 

Art is not a democracy

GRRM doesn't owe you anything

I agree with all of those statements but people aren't realistic.  GRRM owes finishing this series to himself above all and to his editors and publishers.  Art is not a democracy but it's a business.  People are relying on him to finish this before the popularity of the series begins to decrease (which is relatively soon) as the show is now closer to the end.  Hundreds of millions of dollars are at stake and people's jobs and livelihood are on the line.  How would any of you feel if you were an intern hoping to earn a job at one of his publishing houses only to find out they won't be hiring you because they've learned TWOW isn't coming out in 2015?  Or if you owned a small bookstore (lord knows there aren't many left) and you're struggling to pay rent every month.

I'm empathetic towards him because he does realize his failures to finish his novel effects a lot of job security for many people.  But I don't feel sympathy for him.  George is very successful and deservant of his fame and fortune, he doesn't need your pity he's a grown man.  All of you people who showered him with compliments and told him it's ok for him to fail to meet his deadlines need to think back a few weeks ago and contemplate what you'd do if UPS/Federal Express/USPS... failed to meet their delivery estimates on your package in time for Christmas.  You would not feel sympathy towards them and some of you would go so far to call for their jobs.  So please before you start trying to kiss up to a stranger who is enjoying life to the fullest and procrastinating the most important job of his life; just consider the situation and don't be like all the other sheep.  And that goes for the rude sheep who go on to say cruel and morbid things towards GRRM.

And one other note...

I have no interest in replying to this post and will not reply.  It's been years since I've posted anything on this site.  Mainly because the lack of TWOW made my interest wane.  But also due to the PC members of these forums who try to spin anything into a debate on feminism or some other subject or group they are partial or affiliated to.  Please form your own opinions, stay on topic, and be respectful towards eachother.  Happy New Year!

You're just like those people that go on and on and on when they're going to unlike a page on facebook instead of just going! "I'm not going to reply to any messages you say" You probably don't remember that old Motley Crue song but it applies here "Don't go away mad, just go away."

Jesus, really?  3 million reviews? We are doomed.  

Sure.

I have never read Twlight or watched the films so I can't really comment on their quality* but if that is the reviews it has then it must be successful in whatever genre it is in.

edit: Just looked, Twlight has 3.6 out of 5 compared to  4.3. for ADWD

*I take it you have and that is why you can say what you think of their quality.

The point is that you're using a site that gave that score to Twilight (which indeed is drivel turned into paper) and 3.7 to Fifty Shades of Grey (from more than one million ratings, by the way. Compare that to Dance's 300k, again) as evidence of Dance's quality*, and you don't think the measuring stick is even a bit off.

*Because we're talking quality here, not sales. Sales don't prove shit. 

Archived