Why did not house Tully attend HH tourney?

purple-eyes

House whent is his powerful vassal. 

Plus hoster's wife's house. 

Riverrun is quite close to HH too.  

It is very strange that he did not attend the tourney. King, prince and all important houses were there. Except angry Tywin. And mysterious Rickard stark. But both sent kevan and children there. 

At least he can send blackfish, edmure, his two girls to the tourney. 

Brandon is cat's future husband too. 

Is this just a random thing?  Or some political reason? 

Two possible answers or a combination of both:

1) Hoster's wife may have recently passed away, we don't know when she died. So the family may be in mourning.

2) Harrenhall was where Aerys was going to have Jaime sworn into the Kingsguard. Hoster was negotiating to marry his daughter to Jaime. Aerys's action might not have only insulted Tywin as Jaime's father, but Hoster's as Jaime's potential father-in-law.

It is believed that they had to deal with Lysa's abortion back then.

I lean towards this option. Does the timelne match, though? Was the duel between Brandon and LF before or after Harrenhall? Petyr was sent away soon after the duel + Lysa's pregnancy. If that was the reason for them staying away from the tourney, the duel must have happened before.

Maybe Hoster heard rumors about the Tourney of HH being more then just a tourney and decided he didn't want to risk his neck

Forgive me, but I don't remember if House Tully didn't attend or if they didn't do anything of note to deserve a mention and thus we don't know if they were or not there, can someone help me?

Catelyn mentions not seeing Ned until their wedding and it seems unlikely Brandon and his family wouldn't interact with his betrothed and her family.

Forgive me, but I don't remember if House Tully didn't attend or if they didn't do anything of note to deserve a mention and thus we don't know if they were or not there, can someone help me?

Catelyn says that she never saw Eddard until their wedding day. If she was at Harrenhal, then she should have seen him as she'd have been spending the tourney with Brandon like Robert and Lyanna were. Or she'd have seen Ned when Lyanna was crowned as Ned was sitting right beside her.

But seeing as she never saw Eddard until they married almost 2 years later she, at least probably, wasn't at Harrenhal.

I lean towards this option. Does the timelne match, though? Was the duel between Brandon and LF before or after Harrenhall? Petyr was sent away soon after the duel + Lysa's pregnancy. If that was the reason for them staying away from the tourney, the duel must have happened before.

Maybe Hoster heard rumors about the Tourney of HH being more then just a tourney and decided he didn't want to risk his neck

Catelyn says that Brandon was 20 when he dueled Littlefinger. The duel therefore has to have been after Harrenhal as Brandon is born in 262, making him only 19 in 281.

Two possible answers or a combination of both:

1) Hoster's wife may have recently passed away, we don't know when she died. So the family may be in mourning.

2) Harrenhall was where Aerys was going to have Jaime sworn into the Kingsguard. Hoster was negotiating to marry his daughter to Jaime. Aerys's action might not have only insulted Tywin as Jaime's father, but Hoster's as Jaime's potential father-in-law.

The tournament was not a Royal one and was not done having anything to do with Aerys. Him attending was a surprise to everyone.

The tournament was not a Royal one and was not done having anything to do with Aerys. Him attending was a surprise to everyone.

If Tywin had enough time to not attend because of Aerys attending and the Jaime induction, then Hoster would have enough time to not attend.

The surprise was that Aerys said he was going to attend, it was not as if he went to Harrenhall in secret and just jumped out in the middle of the tourney. Weeks before the tourney started every knew Aerys was going to attend.

Was there a single man of an age to compete?  Were they in Rhaegar's inner circle? 

Why would they go?

it was a very big event. like Olympics games. as the ruler of riverlands and overlord of House whent, it seems natural that somebody from House Tully should go. 

Catelyn says that Brandon was 20 when he dueled Littlefinger. The duel therefore has to have been after Harrenhal as Brandon is born in 262, making him only 19 in 281.

Wasn't Lyanna taken on the road to Winterfell while returning from the Harrenhal tourney though? Wouldn't that not really leave time for the duel to take place? Unless Brandon leaving for the duel was the reason why Lyanna was so easily taken on the way back home

Ps: I've had a fever of almost 102 for a few days and haven't gotten anywhere near enough sleep, my mental timeline might be all jacked up. If so, forgive me :P

Wasn't Lyanna taken on the road to Winterfell while returning from the Harrenhal tourney though? Wouldn't that not really leave time for the duel to take place? Unless Brandon leaving for the duel was the reason why Lyanna was so easily taken on the way back home

No she was not. There was almost a whole year until she was taken/kidnapped/left, as Aegon (son of Elia and Rhaegar) is yet to be born.

we do not know why Lyanna would appear close to HH at that moment. 

But we do know tourney happened in 281, after some uncertain time, in 282, Brandon went to riverrun for his wedding. He had a duel with LF there and injured him. Then he went out of Riverrun to meet his father's wedding party from the north. On his way back, he heard about Lyanna was taken by rhaegar close to HH, so he ran to KL. 

At this moment, Brandon is around riberrun, Ned is in the eyrie with Arryn, Rickard is on his way from winterfell to riberrun. 

We have no clue why Lyanna would show up close to HH. 

Ah okay, I felt like there was something screwy with my memory of things. That is kind of odd that she was off by herself as her brother was about to be married though 

Exactly. all her family members were at different locations, why Lyanna would show up in HH?

I think it is possible that she went to riverrun for wedding, she made a plan with Rhaegar to elope together, then she met with Rhaegar there and ran away with him. 

Maybe she volunteered to go retrieve Ned for the wedding,  to get a chance to meet Rhaegar on the way east from Riverrun to the Vale? Harrenhal appears to be a convenient middle point between the two on the map

yes, it is all possible. 

She may initially come from the north with her father's wedding party, but in the middle she suggested that she wanted to go faster to meet Ned or to go to Riverrun earlier by herself (since she is a good rider), then she got rid of her family, and meet rhaegar at HH and ran away. 

Why did she want to elope right before her brother's planned wedding? should not she know that they will be worried and tried to search her and this will mess up Brandon's wedding? Why can not she waited after brandon's wedding to elope?

because She is in mad love and she did not care. all she wanted to do is to go with rhaegar.  

Archived