why quaithe warned dany to not trust tyrion ?

ser gerold

The Quaithe has her own agenda. She's done well warning her of danger but everyone she tells her not to trust wants her to go to Westeros. I think she just wants to get her to Asshai. The only one in the quote she says is dangerous is the seneschal... the rest just want to take her away.

The glass candles are burning. Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and dark flamelion and griffinthe sun's son and the mummer'sdragon. Trust none of them. Remember the Undying. Beware the perfumed seneschal.

The Quaithe has her own agenda. She's done well warning her of danger but everyone she tells her not to trust wants her to go to Westeros. I think she just wants to get her to Asshai. The only one in the quote she says is dangerous is the seneschal... the rest just want to take her away.

That's a really good point. She's been trying to get Dany to go to Asshai since Clash. 

Not no one.

Marwyn is conspicuously absent from that list.

Remember she starts the warning with "The glass candles are burning." One could read this as being how she knows of everyone approaching, but this could also could indicate that she is in contact with other glass candle users. It's possible Quaithe and Marwyn are in league.

Remember she starts the warning with "The glass candles are burning." One could read this as being how she knows of everyone approaching, but this could also could indicate that she is in contact with other glass candle users. It's possible Quaithe and Marwyn are in league.

She says this to Dany at Meereen in ADwD, but back in ACoK, Xaro already had told Dany about glass candles burning in Qarth. So it's not really news to Dany, although she wouldn't know what this means or take it as a warning, since nobody has bothered to explain the glass candles to her and why they're working now after so long.

How is there going to be a second dance of dragons if only one side has dragons? Tyrion might steal one of hers for Aegon. 

Ever since the full title of the Princess and the Queen or the Blacks and the Greens was announced I have been convinced that Aegon will ride the green dragon against Daenerys on the black one. Tyrion will play the role of betrayer, similar to Ulf the White in the first tango. 

Tyrion might be Dany's betrayal for love: Tyrion's love for Jaime

Jaime is probably the one man left alive in Westeros who has no hope of any amnesty if Dany arrives. And, deep down, I'm sure that Tyrion still loves Jaime.  So, that would make sense.

Causing Dany to mistrust those around her & ones who seem destined to meet her would seem to be one of her objectives. The question is who isn't she warning her about, it remains unclear but I suspect it to be Marwyn. It just so happens the Cinnamon Wind was in Qarth when Dany was there, now he's aboard the same ship destined for Meereen. Considering his past ventures in the east, he's a Mage who dabbles in shadow binding, the fact that Sarella told Sam that they knew he was coming, & his connection to glass candles i see a possible connection between Quaith & Marwyn..

Ever since the full title of the Princess and the Queen or the Blacks and the Greens was announced I have been convinced that Aegon will ride the green dragon against Daenerys on the black one. Tyrion will play the role of betrayer, similar to Ulf the White in the first tango. 

I could def see that, especially if Dany is all Fire and Blood and bringing the Dothraki's and destruction with her to 7K that would make Tyrion even more likely to betray her / aid fAegon. 

Jaime is probably the one man left alive in Westeros who has no hope of any amnesty if Dany arrives. 

Yeah that could also be a factor for Tyrion betraying Dany

I could def see that, especially if Dany is all Fire and Blood and bringing the Dothraki's and destruction with her to 7K that would make Tyrion even more likely to betray her / aid fAegon. 

Yeah that could also be a factor for Tyrion betraying Dany

I can't see any circumstances in which Dany would forgive the man who killed her father, even if she's not wild for vengeance at everyone else.

Jaime would again hear that "fire is the champion of House Targaryen."

She never mentioned Asshai. It was Dany who did. When Dany asked the question about what she would find in Asshai, Quaithe replied that she would find truth there. She did not say that it is Asshai where she must go. Dany assumed that. Grrm himself has quoted that we would see little and less of Asshai (mostly only in dreams)

While she may have her own agenda, she has identified very well the people who are lusting for Dany's dragons.  And dragons are power. The quote Grrm gave in a reading was different. He changed it later when he published the books (Marbe it was too spoilery?)

Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and crow, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them. -ADWD reading

In the orignal quote the crow is replaced by Dark Flame. Who can be the crow? Crow's eye (euron) fits best. Though it would be quite a big spoiler if we can guess that Crow's eye has been secretly following Victarion all the while. Maybe thats why he removed it.

Kraken which is Victarion Greyjoy wants Dany's dragons. He does not want to kill her , but he does lust for her dragons a lot. Crow's eye(Euron) obviously lusts for her dragons and has bad intentions. We have already seen the sun's son (Quentyn) trying to take Dany's dragons. He is a good guy overall, but did lust for her dragons.

Aegon is interested in her dragons and given the oppurtunity would love to take off with it.

Tyrion is the same.

Well, I made my appearance on Sheep Island a few hours ago, cleverly disguised as Tyrion the Imp for a reading and Q&A session at Bantam’s virtual bookstore. Only this version of Tyrion could fly! Ah, if only the Tyrion in the books could fly, what mischief he will… ah… could… ah, never mind. -GRRM, 2007

The author seems to be hinting at the possiblity of Tyrion as a dragon rider. Also, it seems to hint at some mischief he may do, once he gets a dragon. I found the way he ended this statement with "ah… could… ah, never mind." interesting as it makes it seem that he is actually giving us a spoiler. And this is 2007, a time when the Game of Thrones TV series was not released and the hype was not so high.

So it is highly likely that regardless of her intentions Quathe's quote may be on point.  Especially considering how much Tyrion wants a dragon as is obvious from his conversation with Jon.

That always caught in my mind too. I do believe they are in cahoots with each other and have communicated through the candles. When Marwyn meets Sam in Oldtown he has strong reaction to the news Sam delivers and then makes haste to catch a ride on the S.S. Cinnamon Wind to go in search of Dany and the dragons. This is something Marywn says Maester Aemon wanted to so he is going in Aemon's place.  Then on re-reads I remembered that Mirri Maz Duur and Marwyn worked together at one point too.

There are suspicions out there that Quaithe is Dany's mother- that Rhaella was exiled, not dead, she keeps a hidden face, "wet eyes" when she first sees Dany. Not saying this is true, or that we need another secret Targ, just putting it out there for others to chew on to see if it they find other links to this. However, IF this is true then it would help explain why Quaithe is following Dany around Essos (virtually) and is warning her along the way. Maybe Quaithe will remove her lacquer mask one day and present Dany with her crown that was sold when Dany was  child? Highly speculative, but nothing is in stone until we read the last pages of the entire story anyway.

So, I think Tyrion actually is the true son of Tywin, and as others have mentioned, in a time of great stress, Tyrion may make a decision that works against Dany somehow.

I can't see any circumstances in which Dany would forgive the man who killed her father, even if she's not wild for vengeance at everyone else.

Jaime would again hear that "fire is the champion of House Targaryen."

Damn... I can already see it. Jaime knows he has no other choice, but trial by combat, even if he is missing an arm. Daenerys's champion: Fire made flesh... Drogon. 

The list includes everyone that we KNOW, beyond a doubt, is seeking to make use of Dany for their own ends. Marwyn may be looking for her for altruistic reasons, or he may not. We haven't seen nearly enough of him yet.

As people have said earlier, it's instructive to look at who is NOT on the list. Marwyn isn't. Jorah isn't, Barristan isn't. And not one of the Stark children is. There's no White Wolf, no Songbird, no Winged Wolf, no Night Wolf. Something to think about for people who think she'll be hostile to the Starks.

I was trying to respond to Arya-Jon's analysis up thread

Fantastic quote. I was unaware of the original reading having crow in place of dark flame. Could you please point me to the source? 

Another obvious crow would be Bloodraven, or maybe Bran. But it could be Marwyn since crows are cousins to ravens and maesters are associated with ravens. Another offbeat possibility would be Jon or another man of the watch. Perhaps the George changed his mind, or maybe he invented Moqorro after 2007? 

As far as Quaithe telling Daenerys she would find truth in Asshai, I never read thst as, Go to Ashai." I read it as, "You'll only find lies in Qarth. 

This post was all f@$!#d up. God damned new layout.  

That always caught in my mind too. I do believe they are in cahoots with each other and have communicated through the candles. When Marwyn meets Sam in Oldtown he has strong reaction to the news Sam delivers and then makes haste to catch a ride on the S.S. Cinnamon Wind to go in search of Dany and the dragons. This is something Marywn says Maester Aemon wanted to so he is going in Aemon's place.  Then on re-reads I remembered that Mirri Maz Duur and Marwyn worked together at one point too.

There are suspicions out there that Quaithe is Dany's mother- that Rhaella was exiled, not dead, she keeps a hidden face, "wet eyes" when she first sees Dany. Not saying this is true, or that we need another secret Targ, just putting it out there for others to chew on to see if it they find other links to this. However, IF this is true then it would help explain why Quaithe is following Dany around Essos (virtually) and is warning her along the way. Maybe Quaithe will remove her lacquer mask one day and present Dany with her crown that was sold when Dany was  child? Highly speculative, but nothing is in stone until we read the last pages of the entire story anyway.

So, I think Tyrion actually is the true son of Tywin, and as others have mentioned, in a time of great stress, Tyrion may make a decision that works against Dany somehow.

If Marwyn were in league with Quaithe and communicating through palantiri... I mean glass candles why didn't he try to go sooner? Why did he wait to hear from Samwell?

If Marwyn were in league with Quaithe and communicating through palantiri... I mean glass candles why didn't he try to go sooner? Why did he wait to hear from Samwell?

This!

And neither is she in league with the undying. She warned that they wanted to cause trouble to Jorah . I remember that very clearly in the show. Think there is a similar line in the books.

The way Quaithe says

"Remember who you are, Daenerys", and then adds, "The dragons knowDo you?"

I really doubt the theory that she means to cause trouble for Daenerys. And the warning of not trusting anyone is as good as you can give  because people lust for her dragons, and dragons are power. Even the identification of the people is not bad and if Grrm had not removed the "crow " bit (who seems to be Euron=Crow's eye), it may have been perfectly accurate.  Even the nice guys like Quentyn(the sun's son)  tried to get her dragons.

Soon comes the pale mare, and after her the others. Kraken and crow, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon. Trust none of them. -ADWD reading (Changed this in the published version)

Of course it may be a case of telling many good things to pass on a bad thing like Littlefinger does, :P . But I doubt it very much. Its certainly not her death which quaithe wants as she could have done that easily if she wanted to using sorecery/ or by not warning her about the undying . The way she was entering her dreams (was it dreams?) , she could as well have stolen her dragons by some magic trick.

What possessions might Sam be holding that Marwyn would find useful? Several things remained back at the Cinnamon Wind that I can think of, he left the horn, possibly all of Aemon books, his corpse & the child of Mance & Dalla. Perhaps it wasn't the info Sam had to give to him but rather his possessions..

Archived