Foretelling: Arya is the Valonqar

finger

I'm getting ready for the deliverance of the sixth book, so I'm doing my homework.

I've heard from the very Grrm that all the stuff began with the first Bran chapter. It was the first to be written. Some of the main characters are introduced and the disappearance of Ned and a still unknown Robert is symbolically hinted. Also the Stark children's fate seems to be tied to some pups.

But I'd like to stress some words that Ned addresses to Bran, about his duties:

"...we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man doesn't deserve to die."

As the story goes, we'll learn that Bran will never be able to perform what his father tells him... but Arya does. In fact, she will reluctantly forgive the Hound, letting him live or die on his own. But she'll also kill by her own hand quite a bunch of misdoers. She prays for some people to die, and the eases their passing as often as she can; one of those is Cersei.

I've suggested this in another post but I'd love to see Arya use the skills she learns from the FM to appear to Cersei as a possible Valonqar e.g. Jamie, Tyrion, Tomen etc. and in this way fulfill  both the prophecy and Arya's quest for revenge.

• 1 month later...

No. I'm sorry, I can't see her as the Valonqar. For Maggy's prophecy and Cersei's death to mean anything, she has to be killed by someone important/significant to her ie Jaime. I'm sure Arya will employ her FM skills on others on her list, though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On April 10, 2016 at 2:59 AM, Not_A_Quokka said:

Well Arya can't be a "volonquar"...I thought this is Valyrian for "little brother".  So that would mean either Tyrion or Jaime (towards Cersei).  

Arya is somebody else's little sibling though. I think Jaime or Tyrion is more likely but Arya is still in the running. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/04/2016 at 10:59 AM, Not_A_Quokka said:

Well Arya can't be a "volonquar"...I thought this is Valyrian for "little brother".  So that would mean either Tyrion or Jaime (towards Cersei).  

Actually, she can, because valyrian is gender neutral so it can mean "little brother" or "little sister".

On 16/01/2016 at 9:34 PM, Ser Pip said:

I've suggested this in another post but I'd love to see Arya use the skills she learns from the FM to appear to Cersei as a possible Valonqar e.g. Jamie, Tyrion, Tomen etc. and in this way fulfill  both the prophecy and Arya's quest for revenge.

I think this is a great theory, because I don't think Jaime would kill her and Tyrion is far away. And Arya has a list to follow, so this checks all the boxes.

Came here looking exactly for this. I'm rereading AGOT and her first encounter with Syrio Forel struck me as weird:

It was the third time he had called her “boy.” “I’m a girl,” Arya objected.
“Boy, girl,” Syrio Forel said. “You are a sword, that is all.”

As we know, valyrian language is gender neutral. So I took this as a tiny little clue.

Also, the Hound specifically refers to her as "the little sister" when they meet again, captured by the Brotherhood.

I'm not married to the idea that she is the valonqar, but I think she has the strongest claim to that title, along with Jamie. I'm really against Cleganebowl happening (because it's fucking implausible) so the Hound is out too (for me, at least). Some people think Tommen is the valonqar. I laugh at them.

The case for Jamie: It would be cool if Jaime was the valonqar because it's what Cersei expects the least. And if the whole burning-down-the-house theory is correct, and she goes insane and tries to burn down King's Landing, wouldn't it be fucking heartwrenching if he had to kill her, protecting the city AGAIN, from the SAME menace as before?

The case for Arya: Cersei's on her list, which has a surprisingly high success rate; and it would be an unexpected outcome. Arya really hates her and wants to kill her. Oh, and she's training to become an assassin, so there's that.

The only criteria one must fit to be the valonqar is being someone's younger sibling, really. But if we take that too far, ANYONE could be the valonqar. Margery, Sansa, Arya, the Hound, Jamie, Rickon, Tommen, you name it.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't stand this idea that Valonqar could mean little sister. I know the whole "gender neutral" thing but. It just opens up the possibility for (just about) ANYONE to be the "valonqar." It's like that stupid riddle where the answer is "words."

I think the Valonqar is going to turn out to be Jamie.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived