LBGTQ - 4 out of 5 cats prefer lesbians

TerraPrime

Thanks for all the reactions. I feel confident that this is the best way to tell them; I'm sure it'd be a long time before I could gather up the courage to do it in person. I'm going to put more thought into this after test week at school ends so I can make a balanced decision. I'll let you guys know what it's going to be.

Reading that article about Russia is making me so fucking pissed.

the things I read about russia in regards to queer oppression scare the shit out of me! so much love & bravery to any homos or trans folks resisting in the face of overwhelming violence & bigotry.
hope everyone has had an all right week though. curious to hear how you're doing first of his name.

On ‎16‎-‎1‎-‎2016 at 2:56 PM, ellstaysia said:

the things I read about russia in regards to queer oppression scare the shit out of me! so much love & bravery to any homos or trans folks resisting in the face of overwhelming violence & bigotry.
hope everyone has had an all right week though. curious to hear how you're doing first of his name.

I'm doing great but the desire to come out kind of faded away after a very busy week. It'll probably pop up again in three weeks or something, I'll re-consider it then. But right now I'm getting along better with my friends than I have in months and it doesn't feel like the right time to drop this bombshell.

33 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

I'm doing great but the desire to come out kind of faded away after a very busy week. It'll probably pop up again in three weeks or something, I'll re-consider it then. But right now I'm getting along better with my friends than I have in months and it doesn't feel like the right time to drop this bombshell.

I don't think there's ever an optimal time to come out, but there are definitely better and worse. In any case, any time you are not feeling into it is a bad time to come out. 

Speaking of bad times to come out, I would like to bring up bad ways to receive the news. (I don't know how many straight folks are reading this thread, but if some are, take note.) One person I came out to took the opportunity to lecture me on how to judge who to come out to. So I'd be safe. This was back in the early 90s when the term "straightsplaining" had yet to be invented, but that's what happened to me. I learned from that the only good response to a coming out: acceptance, support, affection--and no goddamn advice.

10 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Maybe I'm just tired, but I was expecting this thread to be about cats. :P

The thread is only two pages long.

Give it time.

*meow*

On 1/9/2016 at 1:46 PM, TerraPrime said:

Robin:

Language evolves. C'est la vie. I, like you, actually prefer the use of transsexual over transgender. But that boat has sailed.

As for "transwoman," I think it will depend on the context. If it's chosen as a self-identifier, then I have no problem with it. If it's used in a context to alienate, then yes, that's a problem.

TP,

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, but having just moved, I've been a bit distracted by getting things back to normal. That didn't sail.  It was intentionally sunk.  But, I have to admit that there may be no way to repair that damage.

If one says trans woman, it is similar to saying tall woman, white woman, old woman, married woman.  They all reference woman.  When someone says transwoman, they have created a separate category, altogether.  I can't say it intentionally alienates, but it does intentionally separate. I don't think that is a good thing.

To the extent that anyone cares, I am identifying as male again. Thinking of myself as transgender has either been a locus of psycho-sexual anxiety that I've been unpacking in a different way recently, or I'm some kind of long-sine-wave-genderfluid person. I believe that to an extent I had been conflating transvestic fetishism with being transgender. Oddly enough that doesn't have much of a charge for me anymore either, perhaps now that it doesn't bear with it the drama of a potentially life-changing transition. So on a level I feel like I've been making a fool out of myself, but I think there has been value in a journey even if it's more of a round trip. Anyway, all the best to the community here as I haven't been actively posting in awhile.

2 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

To the extent that anyone cares, I am identifying as male again. Thinking of myself as transgender has either been a locus of psycho-sexual anxiety that I've been unpacking in a different way recently, or I'm some kind of long-sine-wave-genderfluid person. I believe that to an extent I had been conflating transvestic fetishism with being transgender. Oddly enough that doesn't have much of a charge for me anymore either, perhaps now that it doesn't bear with it the drama of a potentially life-changing transition. So on a level I feel like I've been making a fool out of myself, but I think there has been value in a journey even if it's more of a round trip. Anyway, all the best to the community here as I haven't been actively posting in awhile.

Well, I've certainly missed you.   :cheers:

Glad to hear you're feeling some resolution, even if it winds up being being temporary.  Nothing foolish about it.

Robin I'm angry with you (as in sharing your anger) up until that jab at the end. I've pointed out the impact progress has had on me personally, I see plenty of evidence of it in those around me, and I see a backlash against us and shitty media portrayals. In the case of the latter the progress is that that isn't all there is. The shitty things don't invalidate the good, it's a complex world.

Archived