LBGTQ - 4 out of 5 cats prefer lesbians

TerraPrime

The Lacour data was viewed as fraudulent, but there appears to be another study that was done legitimately that provides better results.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/azeenghorayshi/conversation-changes-transgender-attitudes

The problem I see with your idea, is that it would require talking to an awful lot of people.  Otherwise, after the conversation was over, to tendency to conform with one's peers, would take them back to their original position.

The link above is to the study in the article I linked as well. This article is about the people who both found the Lacour data to be fraudulent and invented a way to make the study actually work. David Brookman is one of the two people that did the study. 

And while you might think that talking to people wouldn't hold a significantly long term view, the study addresses this - and it appears not to be correct. A year afterwards the participants had improved their view by 10 points and kept it. 

The talking to a lot of people was also solved in a novel way (again, in the link I provided) - by first surveying people via mail and asking them if they'd be interested in having a conversation that might change their mind. Those who provided in the affirmative got a visit. That might have some kind of selection bias, but it meant having hours of going door to door without any real success or even getting to talk was avoided. 

2 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

You could imagine the best possible scenario for ceasing to be stealth, and also the worst possible scenario, and write them both into the book as alternate endings.

Either way, I'd lose the one thing I now have.  The chance to be perceived solely as a human being, without labels, tags, identifiers or descriptors.  You know, all the things that make one "other."

1 hour ago, Weeping Sore said:

Would that we all could be perceived solely as human beings. Gender is usually the first limiting descriptor anyone mentions.

Well, I have to admit that is true.  But if one is perceived to be what half the population is, there is significantly less othering than if one is perceived as being less than 1% of the population.

I will concede that there is one aspect of stealth that might be seen as problematic.  It denied me contact with others like myself.  A couple of years ago (4/10/2014), was the first time since 1985 that I had a face to face conversation with another trans person.  With the exception of two protest rallies over the murders of trans women, there haven't been any since.

Some of you may have already seen this, but this is one of the things our new Governor is up to.  This is the difference one politician can make.  For once, Louisiana policy isn't so embarrassing I want to move.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/04/louisiana_transgender_protecti.html

On 4/16/2016 at 7:15 AM, Lily Valley said:

Some of you may have already seen this, but this is one of the things our new Governor is up to.  This is the difference one politician can make.  For once, Louisiana policy isn't so embarrassing I want to move.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/04/louisiana_transgender_protecti.html

As usual, I see things through a darker lens than most.  What one governor giveth, the next may taketh away.  Besides, in the current climate, the following may have more significance than most imagine.

Not everyone was happy however. Louisiana Family Forum, the state's most influential conservative Christian organization, issued a scathing statement about the action. 

"Ironically, while other states are seeking to protect people of faith, Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards seems to be using his executive power to silence those same people of faith," said Gene Mills, head of the organization. 

It's a stupid argument, but the average IQ in the US is 98, which means an awful lot of people will believe it.

Hate is a great motivator and energizer.  I'd imagine the first attempt to undo this will come from the legislature.  If that fails, some form of ballot initiative will be introduced.  We've seen in other locales that enough of the populace will vote to oppress LGBTIQ people that the governor's orders will be swept away.

I honestly do not know if we have more allies or enemies, but I do know our enemies appear more highly motivated.  Having active enemies and passive allies is not the way to win this war.  As for the majority of the people in this country, even if they do not support bigotry and discrimination, most are likely to say "not my circus, not my monkeys."

Sorry, I'm not a ray of sunshine.

Really glad to hear it! While I'd never choose to wind back my body to how it was, I'd love to experience that mental high of the first couple of months again :P Not that everyone gets that

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, everyone. I meant to make several posts a few weeks ago, but didn't like the way they sounded.

Anyways, I've ingested the first of my lady pills. 2mg Estradiol and 25mg Spironolactone. Today also marks the institution of my half-liquid diet consisting of fruit smoothies and chicken sandwiches. :)

Congratulations, Sivin! I'm happy for you.

It's not really on-topic, but my mother just passed away suddenly a few days ago. She was not an easy person to be close to, and I feel like I never shared the real me with her out of fear of her judgment. Now I'm not going to get the chance, feeling shocked and numb.

4 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

It's not really on-topic, but my mother just passed away suddenly a few days ago. She was not an easy person to be close to, and I feel like I never shared the real me with her out of fear of her judgment. Now I'm not going to get the chance, feeling shocked and numb.

I am very sorry about your loss, and about the missed opportunity to share with her your true identity. If it's any consolation, most mothers know, instinctively, even if they don't have the words for it or if they deny it.

My condolences.

6 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

I am so very sorry for your loss. :(

6 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

Congratulations, Sivin! I'm happy for you.

I'm sorry for your loss, WS.  My mother passed before I began my transition.  While I did all I could to conceal who I was, I've always suspected that she had some inkling.  My father, on the other hand, was clueless.  Neither of us will ever know how it would have gone if we'd had that chance.

Archived