LBGTQ - 4 out of 5 cats prefer lesbians

TerraPrime

On 10/1/2016 at 8:12 AM, karaddin said:

Feeling outside the community can be so hard, in my case I feel like I missed the entry age for it and now even if a space is trans inclusive its just so hard to introduce yourself cold and join in as a huge introvert when social groups are already formed and not really looking for new people. 

I wasn't going to say anything till I saw this.  I've always found myself feeling outside community.  I tried to change that but came to realize that what worked for the community, simply didn't work for me.  What should have been "us," was, in reality, "me and them," and was in danger of becoming "me vs. them."  So I just shut up.  I transitioned in an era when there was no community.  I lived as an individual.  From 1985 till 2014, I didn't have a face to face conversation with another trans person.  It was the most stress and anxiety-free time in my life.  When it comes to degrees of introversion, I think I've got you beat.  Maybe I need a t-shirt that reads, "Doesn't play well with others."

I think "the community" is to a certain extent imaginary- it's not as if there's an all-welcoming throng of queers waiting for you to say the magic word so they can press you to their bosom and you'll never be lonely again. I mean there are individuals that you happen to have something in common with, but you could meet a lesbian or bi girl that doesn't like Blade Runner, and then what good would that do?

2 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

I think "the community" is to a certain extent imaginary- it's not as if there's an all-welcoming throng of queers waiting for you to say the magic word so they can press you to their bosom and you'll never be lonely again. I mean there are individuals that you happen to have something in common with, but you could meet a lesbian or bi girl that doesn't like Blade Runner, and then what good would that do?

IN THE BIN i won't be friends with such folks (kidding) 

15 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

I certainly don't think that it's a universal community where everyone is all friends together in this one massive social circle, but at least in Sydney there is certainly *a* community with various social circles with varying levels of intersection.  They're shaped by the age groups of the people they contain along with their temperament and desires, and given I live in the lesbian heartland of Sydney I'm around a lot of said community enough to recognise it. That said I guess I'd say I'm genuinely part of that community at this point, but its harder getting into any one of the already established social circles within it.

Also given my heavily online self, and that I feel younger in my queer identity than my age, I'm much more connected with the social circles substantially younger that also lean heavily into online presences. In terms of section I feel more comfortable in vs one I feel less so: I just moved from the younger, more inner city area (right next to Sydney Uni, expensive but still public housing around etc - its complicated mix) and I pretty much had always felt comfortable with my local cafe there. My crush/turned into friend works there and so on. Moved 1.5 suburbs away and its a slightly older community, instead of students a lot of the queer ladies there have started families, a lot of kids around and so on, and the local cafe at the new place is even more overtly LGBTQI but it's older demographically. A lot of the women around it are much more masculine in expression (while there are a lot more femmes and non-binary peeps in my younger circles), and I feel a complicated mix of anxiety around fear of rejection in the new one. Its probably irrational, but it comes down to different chunks within "the community".

Martha - would love to hear your thoughts on it as well when you feel up to articulating it. I don't want to be the first to talk :P

31 minutes ago, Weeping Sore said:

Obviously you're not going to feel a part of a community unless you're open to it. But still, the bi experience can be like "always a tourist, never at home".

Yeah. Saw two LGBT writers on BBC last night actually and might have inadvertently outed myself by showing extreme interest when biphobia was spoken about and kept replaying it lmao 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all. Doing my semi-annual checkup on the board. 

Been on hormones for like 6 months, pretty cool. I've got squishy hips/butt now which is great. I've also got boobs that cannot be dismissed as 'man', which is great. But the most striking change to me is my face. Much softer, but also more lean and defined. After I shave I almost feel confident when I look in the mirror. 

That 3 month or so high from the hormones has been gone for... like 3 months, but it was nice when it lasted. I'm making some money now and am almost optimistic about the future. My thanks to you guys for helping me out in a number of ways. 

Oh, and I'm even losing weight. I'm down about 20 pounds or so from mid summer. 

13 hours ago, Maester Drew said:

Maybe Trump doesn't care, but if conservatives no longer have a problem with LGBT people, where did the bathroom bills come from? I think it's just a case of the headline over-stating what's in the article.

3 hours ago, Weeping Sore said:

Maybe Trump doesn't care, but if conservatives no longer have a problem with LGBT people, where did the bathroom bills come from? I think it's just a case of the headline over-stating what's in the article.

Queerty was specifically talking about gay rights/issues, not LGBT rights in general (which would include trans rights/issues).

But I can see your point, which baffles me as to why these bathroom bills didn't have more presence during the debates.

Archived